GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel door not opening and leaking rear window washer

gonzo511

Ready to race!
Hi everyone,

Today as I pulled up to get gas my fuel door was stuck. It did not want to open. I turned the car on and off as well as unlocking and locking it multiple times. Nothing seemed to work. I've looked for some answers online and found a possible solution. The actuator is faulty.
Just want to hear anyone else's experience with this issue and what helped resolve it.

Side note on this, a few weeks ago I used my rear window washer since the glass was filthy and was shocked that the nozzle wasn't working. Fast forward to later that day, when I opened the hatch liquid was pouring out from the trim. I haven't had the time to check it and honestly totally forgot about it till today when my fuel door wouldn't open. I put 2 and 2 together and now I'm wondering if that liquid somehow got to the actuator and ruined it.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hi everyone,

Today as I pulled up to get gas my fuel door was stuck. It did not want to open. I turned the car on and off as well as unlocking and locking it multiple times. Nothing seemed to work. I've looked for some answers online and found a possible solution. The actuator is faulty.
Just want to hear anyone else's experience with this issue and what helped resolve it.

Side note on this, a few weeks ago I used my rear window washer since the glass was filthy and was shocked that the nozzle wasn't working. Fast forward to later that day, when I opened the hatch liquid was pouring out from the trim. I haven't had the time to check it and honestly totally forgot about it till today when my fuel door wouldn't open. I put 2 and 2 together and now I'm wondering if that liquid somehow got to the actuator and ruined it.

Thanks.

The washer usually springs a leak inside the rubber tube/grommet next to the hatch hinge (on the right side I think), the convoluted tube splits allowing water into the hatch lid that comes out when opened, the wires at this point have been known to receive damage in the same spot so could be the source of both your problems! Easily mended but a bit fiddly!

ben_m

Ready to race!
I have the same issue with the leaky rear washer. How do you pry open the hose cover (coming from front?) I think you have to remove all plastic trim pieces to find the actual leak right?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I have the same issue with the leaky rear washer. How do you pry open the hose cover (coming from front?) I think you have to remove all plastic trim pieces to find the actual leak right?

Mine was leaking at the same place as the picture so I just joined it back up, others have had to remove the c pillar interior trim in order to fit a whole new section of hose, it depends on where your leak is as to which trim you need to remove, if by hose cover you mean the rubber tube? The end on the hatch lid just pulls out using a trim tool or the end on the body by the hinge has a tab you need to press then it pulls up.