GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost leak or normal sound?

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Could be the DV. although that's not the normal whistle it usually makes when she leaks. I had a REV D before K04 and it was leaking at Stage 2 boost levels. This sounds mild, if it is indeed a leak, its not a lot at the moment. Does it hold boost where it should all the way through the powerband?

carbonsteelsix

Passed Driver's Ed
Just did a pressure test on it and the pressure seemed to be dropping at a speed of .5 psi per second. Also sprayed everything I believed was leaking wth soapy water and didn't see any bubbles. Probably just paranoid.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Have your turbo checked out. A whistling turbo isn't the greatest sign.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
New intakes will cause a whistle. It is the harmonics of the piping and the air howling through it.

My CTS intake does it too. I quite like the flute noise.

1slowGTI1

Ready to race!
New intakes will cause a whistle. It is the harmonics of the piping and the air howling through it.

My CTS intake does it too. I quite like the flute noise.

I don't really care for it. If the DV+ doesn't help, I might just post the intake for sale and get something else.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
I don't really care for it. If the DV+ doesn't help, I might just post the intake for sale and get something else.

So that's the flute noise everyone talks about. That would drive me nuts haha. I have the Neuspeed P-Flo intake and all I get is a light but nice sucking noise at WOT.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

DV+ will help a tiny bit biggest help will be a downpipe. Once you get a downpipe im told no more flute.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So that's the flute noise everyone talks about. That would drive me nuts haha. I have the Neuspeed P-Flo intake and all I get is a light but nice sucking noise at WOT.

The noise comes from the "stage 2" pipe. My CTS is a solid pipe(relocated maf into pipe, as in not in stock location/housing) so i get it too. But youll hear it more on open style intakes(so not apr or other box ones) that have the second pipe as well.

Your P-flo has no flute noise because you have stock pipe maf back.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
So lately I've been noticing a high pitched "squeel" sound upon acceleration. This pitch of the sound increases with the speed. Could this be a boost leak or is this normal?

I'm APR Stage 1, stock intake and exhaust, and a Rev D diverter valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zML7qe4x2wY

I just wanted to provide an update for people who may have the same problem.

When I was Stratified Stage 1 COBB with roughly 21 psi max boost, I had no whistling or squealing issues. When I upgraded to Stage 2 COBB (intake, CATTED downpipe and stock exhaust), the squealing sound came about at WOT around 4k rpms. Max boost dropped to around 19 psi.

I went ahead and bought the DV+ as I suppose it couldn't hurt for $120. It definitely stopped the squealing. The flutter sound is minimized now also. Interestingly, the max boost increased to around 22.5 psi. I had the "C" version. There were no tears in my stock dv valve, but I suppose the spring was not strong enough to hold boost. This still doesn't explain to me why the boost dropped when I installed the downpipe.