GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

turbo needs replacement. need opinions.

dwilson15

My turbo took a shit about 3 months ago. Ended up going with a re manufactured turbo from a user on the classifieds here. Cost me $650, about $130 for a new heatshield/bolts/gaskets, and $700 for the install (would have cost less but there were several broken bolts that made the job take an extra 3 hours). I considered going K04 but I would have spent $1900 on a kit, $500-$1000 on an intercooler and about $500 or so for the tune. After labor and all I was at around $3500-$4000 depending on the intercooler I would have went with. I would love K04 power but I just can't justify the K04 money personally at 88k miles

cevil203

Ready to race!
My turbo took a shit about 3 months ago. Ended up going with a re manufactured turbo from a user on the classifieds here. Cost me $650, about $130 for a new heatshield/bolts/gaskets, and $700 for the install (would have cost less but there were several broken bolts that made the job take an extra 3 hours). I considered going K04 but I would have spent $1900 on a kit, $500-$1000 on an intercooler and about $500 or so for the tune. After labor and all I was at around $3500-$4000 depending on the intercooler I would have went with. I would love K04 power but I just can't justify the K04 money personally at 88k miles

I'm in a similar boat. My turbo was diagnosed as bad today. I have 86k miles on my 13 GTI (stage 2), however the entire top of the engine was replaced at 67k and the intake manifold was replaced less than 6k miles ago. I already have the upgraded clutch, intake, downpipe and APR tune and with all the work put into the car, i'm not sure if it is better to go k04 or just move on...k03 is the 3rd option, but just feels like a large bill when I can go k04 and enjoy the car again. Thoughts given the work already put into the car? I guess my main concern is k04 at this high mileage.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I installed a K04 with over 100k on the clock. Zero issues.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I need to pay off credit card debt..... the itch for a k04 is REAL.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I need to pay off credit card debt..... the itch for a k04 is REAL.

I was the same way, when i first got the K04 it was cool but wasn't mind blowing like i thought it would be. I'm used to it now and would like a BT.. but since its my daily, k04 is perfect for now.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I was the same way, when i first got the K04 it was cool but wasn't mind blowing like i thought it would be. I'm used to it now and would like a BT.. but since its my daily, k04 is perfect for now.
im stage 2 and im happy with it. I honestly doubt ill go k04 but if i had spare money and wanted to use it i would buy a k04 to get that extra 60hp or so.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
would it make sense if the OEM turbo shit the bed to rebuild it with port/polish? Also.. I thought the OEM turbo was K03?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
would it make sense if the OEM turbo shit the bed to rebuild it with port/polish? Also.. I thought the OEM turbo was K03?
OEM GTI turbo is the k03/IHI but i think someone earlier brought up upgrading to the k04 (golf r) turbo since you needed to remove/replace anyways.

KDOG1

Ready to race!
Sorry for super late reply.. Was having too much fun.. And I was moving from so cal-oc to norcal-sacramento.. Get my attention if u see me, can with black oz superturismo and can color matched badges, had a few runs with other vws plates are mk six. Anyways I love my car now. I did before but now it's a whole new beast... Got the k04 with all parts dp ecu and tcu tune for 6k installed and goats including how the dealership totally fu xed me.. I mean the price tag was ridiculous after I told them not to remove turbo which I had to pay for.. And paid for their charge just to see if it needed to be done I said go for it if it needs it. They looked at it and said yeah but didnt do it because I was gettingnwork done elsewhere for turbo. I payed for oil change.. The other shop says. M did they do your oil because it's half full.. So we topped it off. And gave u a new coolant tank yours was cracking free. Great shop..but this be shop had Terriblencustomer service as well.. I think I should contact vwoa how would I go about doing that? And what's the approach? Ask for money back, service? Certain person to contact?