GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI - K04 Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Wrapped up install of a few items ahead of the upcoming VIR trackday July 6th.

First was a Tyrolsport hatch brace, which I'd been eyeing for a while and finally picked one up. Install was pretty straightforward, and initial impressions seem positive, though I'll know more once I get the car on track.

Second was a set of 034 Street Density motor and trans mounts. My oem mounts had 90k miles and were due to be replaced. Decided on the 034 units because they seem to be a good compromise between performance and daily driver comfort. I also installed a Neuspeed dogbone insert at the same time. This setup is just about perfect for me, definitely tightens up the drivetrain without adding NVH.

Next up will be swapping to my G-loc R12/R8 track pads and test this stuff out. [emoji41]

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Sell those crappy 034 and get like BFI stage one. Better off getting OEM vs that crap imo. Plenty of stories of people having shit luck with those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Sell those crappy 034 and get like BFI stage one. Better off getting OEM vs that crap imo. Plenty of stories of people having shit luck with those

I’ll eventually switch to BFI mounts

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

I’ve had good luck with mine. About three years and still going strong.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I'm in the process of piecing together parts to install oil temperature and pressure monitoring, here's what I've put together so far:

Gauges:

*Note* I was originally planning to go with a Glowshift digital dual oil/temp gauge, but was forced to go a different direction after finding accuracy issues.

Autometer Sport-Comp Digital Oil Temp Gauge - PN 6348

NewSouth Performance White Series Oil pressure gauge

Gauge Mount - will be installed on the column:
Holley 2 1/16 Gauge Pedestal Mounting Bracket - PN 26-619

Sensor Adapters:
Oil Temp: NewSouth PlugPort M14x1.5 - 1/8NPT Oil Plug Adapter

Dorman M14 Oil Plug Synthetic Gasket - PN 65302 (I've had issues with metal crush washers, these synthetic ones have always worked great for me)

Oil Pressure: US RallyTeam TSI Oil Pressure Adapter - PN OILADPTTSI

I'm in the final stages of mocking everything up, planning electrical / mechanical connections, and gathering a few other minor install parts (Posi-Tap connectors, wire loom, etc). I'll keep you guys updated!! [emoji106]

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Here are the accuracy issues that I experienced with the Glowshift dual digital gauge...

I compared the readings with a Fluke thermocouple meter in the 100°F - 300°F range, and the results were pretty bad. Bottom line is that I will not be relying on this gauge and it's getting returned. I won't comment on Glowshift as a company or the quality of their products.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I saw that you put in the ARP cast DP last year.
Any regrets?
How was fitment?
How do you like the sound?
Have you had to pass emissions in the time you've had it?

I'm trying to decide between APR and Unitronic for my downpipe.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I saw that you put in the ARP cast DP last year.
Any regrets?
How was fitment?
How do you like the sound?
Have you had to pass emissions in the time you've had it?

I'm trying to decide between APR and Unitronic for my downpipe.
I've liked the APR cast DP so far, fitment was great and I can't say I regret it. I love the sound of the APR DP, though I can't say I've compared it directly to anything other than the stock dp on my car personally.
Having said that, Unitronic makes a great product and I wouldn't think twice about going with their DP... especially for the price. I did go with a Unitronic intercooler and have spoken to their tech support a number of times and have always been impressed.

As far as passing emissions, I'm fortunate here in Hampton Roads and don't have an emissions test. Even with the 300 cell count GESI cat on the APR dp, I'm not sure it would pass. The 200 cell cat on most aftermarket pipes most likely won't pass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Thanks for all your input! What is mainly leaning me toward APR is the higher quality cat.
I wonder if with that, and some combination of O2 spacer and forcing OBD readiness will let me pass emissions without swapping in my OEM DP.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Thanks for all your input! What is mainly leaning me toward APR is the higher quality cat.
I wonder if with that, and some combination of O2 spacer and forcing OBD readiness will let me pass emissions without swapping in my OEM DP.
Stock non test pipe file and a spacer on the rear o2. I've passed IL emissions twice with a catless dp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Stock non test pipe file and a spacer on the rear o2. I've passed IL emissions twice with a catless dp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You have a pic of the rear o2 with that all hooked up?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Quick mock-up of the gauges, with the Holley gauge mounts.

Next up is drilling the column trim cover and routing the wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Looks great!! They do not seem to be too much in the way of the gauge cluster either.

I like the plaid inlay behind the VW decal too.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Wrapped up final install of the gauges. Installed the NewSouth Performance oil pressure sensor with the US Rally Team adapter and the Autometer oil temp sensor with the oil plug adapter. So far no leaks anywhere and everything works well. I did go ahead and install a PWM LED Dimmer for the Autometer digital gauge.

I routed all the wiring in heat shrink tubing and 1/4" wire loom, so it looks pretty OEM and you wouldn't see it unless you were looking for it.

Night time:

Close up of the Holley pedestal mounts:

Oil pressure tap:

Last edited: