GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
P2015 - Pray4me

CEL popped up going to work today, pulled over to clear it and it hasn't come back yet. Not felt any drivability change either.

Car is on 79k, but being in the UK we don't get the fancy 120k warranty..... Maybe it'll soon be time for a new manifold and carbon clean $$$$$$$$$$

Is there any way of checking to see if the flaps operate properly and the error was just a sporadic fault that might never return?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT - 2016 MK7 GTi DSG
P2015 - Pray4me

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...7/P2015/008213

Not 100% sure but I think you can use VCDS to check intake flap/runner position!

EDIT: of course that wonít be helpful if the flaps are not moving in conjunction with the solenoid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
GTI689
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 Golf GTI
Same thing just happened to me 1 week after purchasing the car. I cleared the code and it came back 2 days later... few days after that I noticed some serious power loss... I just ordered a new intake manifold from ECS Tunning. They sell a complete installation kit. Was quoted $700-$1000 for installation and carbon cleaning. I’m sorry your going through this but I feel your pain! Good luck! Keep us posted EDIT- just found a shop that would install and do cleaning for $375. If you look hard enough you or if you do the work your self you can get it done for cheap. I say just clear the code and see if it returns

Last edited by GTI689; 04-02-2018 at 05:04 PM.
GTI689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:41 AM   #4
Laimface

Code came back last night. Not gonna clear it because the car always drives like ass for 30 miles until it re-learns everything.

Car is driving fine with the CEL on at the moment. Definitely can't afford to do anything until the end of the month now haha.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
nevekd128

Drives: sf muni
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI689 View Post
Same thing just happened to me 1 week after purchasing the car. I cleared the code and it came back 2 days later... few days after that I noticed some serious power loss... I just ordered a new intake manifold from ECS Tunning. They sell a complete installation kit. Was quoted $700-$1000 for installation and carbon cleaning. Iím sorry your going through this but I feel your pain! Good luck! Keep us posted EDIT- just found a shop that would install and do cleaning for $375. If you look hard enough you or if you do the work your self you can get it done for cheap. I say just clear the code and see if it returns
not 100%for 2013my but my car had an intake manifold covered under warranty at the dealer. they are covered through 120k or ten years iirc
Old 04-03-2018, 03:46 AM   #6
Laimface

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevekd128 View Post
not 100%for 2013my but my car had an intake manifold covered under warranty at the dealer. they are covered through 120k or ten years iirc
VW UK is separate to VWoA, so we don't get your ridiculously high warranty milage... Load of crap!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Boscogn
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
If you want to do this yourself just buy the revised oem intake manifold which in US is around $170 then buy the injector seal kit which is about $40. The humble mechanic has a good intake manifold replacement diy video. If u don't have air compressor and media gun for carbon clean you can try a manual clean with chemicals.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Tempest99
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 GTI
My CEL had been going on and off for several weeks and when I scanned it i got the P2015 code. Had to look it up and found lots of previous issues with the manifold but all of them within a certain model year range were covered by warranty.

Went to the dealer today and after calling VW Customer care they told me my 2014 GTI was NOT covered by warranty. I have 88,000 mostly highway miles on it and drive it sanely. Seriously, I do. The dealer offered to do my intake valve cleaning for free, along with some other cleaning while the manifold was off. I knew that valve cleaning might be a necessity around this time so I jumped at their offer. VW Warranty people? Didn't do a thing, not even splitting the $1300 cost.

Can anyone explain why the 2009-2012-ish models have this covered under extended warranty but not 2014's? Obviously VW TSI's still have a crappy intake manifold that they haven't sorted out. And how many miles can I expect out of the replacement? That's a rhetorical question, I'm not looking for an answer. The dealer today told me they're replacing about one of these a week.

I traded my 2010 Jetta TDI in for this GTI after the diesel fuel pump grenaded and my whole fuel system was replaced, under warranty, after 55,000 miles. That was just before the emissions scandal broke and no warranty extensions had been made for the fuel pumps. I couldn't trust the car anymore so I traded it in. I learned later that extended warranties had come out for that fuel pump, after my trade-in.

This will be my last VW. Love the car, my dealer has really been very very good. But too many costly repairs.
Tempest99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Wait they charged you $1300!??? How much time did they charge you for labor? The part is only like $130, and I removed mine in under 1 hour after never doing it and watching some youtube videos and reading some guides.
BudgetPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
Tempest99
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 GTI
Yes $1300. I saw price ranges for this replacement on other VW forums of around $1500 to $2000, so it seemed right in line with what I had read elsewhere. A 4.5 hour job, I was told. I saw a youtube video online today with a VW service tech saying it's usually 3 hours for him.

I'm still waiting to hear from them and they've had the car since about 9:30, which is 4.5 hours ago. And they're doing the intake valve cleaning too, so that will add some time.
Tempest99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #11
GTI689
Ready to race!

I bought the new designed intake manifold for $263. I upgraded to the aluminum actuator arm for another $40. (for increased durability). Labor for install AND carbon cleaning was another $375. Which brings it to a grand total of $678 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...133201bh1ktkt/
Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
GTI689
Ready to race!

This was the upgraded actuator arm I also purchased https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dorman-p...t/615-906~dor/
Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
Laimface

Just been in for a look, the actuator arm is still attached to the little vacuum booster and the flaps themselves, you can hear the flaps moving up and down when the linkage was moved. I wonder what's actually broken , the position sensor itself maybe?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
Just been in for a look, the actuator arm is still attached to the little vacuum booster and the flaps themselves, you can hear the flaps moving up and down when the linkage was moved. I wonder what's actually broken , the position sensor itself maybe?

Theres like 4-5 ways the damn thing can break. Arm breaking in half, the position sensor, flaps getting seized inside, the part where the arm attaches to the flaps can break and pop out. I'm sure I'm missing a couple. I've also always assumed that's why it was warrantied on certain years only. Like yeah we had lots of issues with X years for X issue so well extend the warranty, but the other rarer issues were never fixed 100% but maybe not common enough for them to issue another extended warranty and that's why you can still get failures on the MY13-14s
BudgetPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote