GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #1863
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 155k+
You may have sucked some plastic into the head. Here is a pic of my old manifold, it was missing a huge chunk that I think stayed in the motor until it disintegrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Get all mods done pre marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #1864
Blakcard
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
would make sense i guess.. .if i recall correctly.. it was within a week or so after i did the chains/guides when flap went and I got the code. It's my third manifold so I'm sure some of that Shite is in there somewhere.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #1865
KFahey
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI-MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIguy30 View Post
Received my check from the timing chain settlement!!!
Got mine today too!
Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #1866
tkelly0727
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 mk6 gti DSG
Out of curiosity, i was watching humblemechanic new video about using VCDS. he mentioned something that people overlook on there after they replaced their timing chain which is inside basic setting " Timing chain elongation: reset after chain replacement"

have any of you guys did this procedure? I had mine replaced by the dealer not sure if this was done or not.
tkelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #1867
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly0727 View Post
Out of curiosity, i was watching humblemechanic new video about using VCDS. he mentioned something that people overlook on there after they replaced their timing chain which is inside basic setting " Timing chain elongation: reset after chain replacement"

have any of you guys did this procedure? I had mine replaced by the dealer not sure if this was done or not.
Never heard of it, never heard of anyone doing this on a gen 1 tsi. In the video it looks like hes hooked up to Gen 3 MQB TSI engine. As far as I know nothing like this is required after doing the chain and ive done the chain on mine.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #1868
tkelly0727
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 mk6 gti DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Never heard of it, never heard of anyone doing this on a gen 1 tsi. In the video it looks like hes hooked up to Gen 3 MQB TSI engine. As far as I know nothing like this is required after doing the chain and ive done the chain on mine.

Yes he has a mk7.5 R now. thanks for clearing that up! i actually dont own VCDS but im looking to pick one up and retire the OBD11 .
tkelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #1869
SC_MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 csg gti autobahn
Hey what's yalls thoughts on the ultimate timing chain kit assembled by ecs? Its half the price of the vw/Audi kit. They use mostly Bremmen brand parts in that kit. Is that a reliable brand? I dont know anything about them. Who makes the chains and tensioners for VW?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SC_MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #1870
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_MK6 View Post
Hey what's yalls thoughts on the ultimate timing chain kit assembled by ecs? Its half the price of the vw/Audi kit. They use mostly Bremmen brand parts in that kit. Is that a reliable brand? I dont know anything about them. Who makes the chains and tensioners for VW?

Bremmen parts are rebranded aftermarket Chinese stuff sold by ECS. That's why they are so cheap. I would highly recommend getting the OEM chain. tensioner and guides. People have had aftermarket chinese tensioners and cam bridge failures causing a lot of damage...
Old 08-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #1871
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 155k+
I think some Bremmen parts are made in Germany. I can't say all of them.
I pieced my kit together, new OEM tensioner, new lower cover, upper gasket, Febi chain. Reused hardware with blue loctite, except the crank bolt that was new. If you're careful and cheap, you could reuse everything including the cover and gaskets. My rails were in good shape so I reused them, except the top one I broke when removing.
Whatever you do, don't buy the kit from partsgeek. That is straight China garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Get all mods done pre marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #1872
foxbyt3
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 GTI
The timing chain rattle sound just started on my 2012 GTI yesterday. I've been reading through this thread and others like it but one thing I haven't found an answer for is, is it safe to drive the car?

I'm going to contact my shop ASAP and get the car in immediately, but in the mean time I want to be sure i'm okay to drive per usual.
foxbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #1873
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
I think some Bremmen parts are made in Germany. I can't say all of them.
I pieced my kit together, new OEM tensioner, new lower cover, upper gasket, Febi chain. Reused hardware with blue loctite, except the crank bolt that was new. If you're careful and cheap, you could reuse everything including the cover and gaskets. My rails were in good shape so I reused them, except the top one I broke when removing.
Whatever you do, don't buy the kit from partsgeek. That is straight China garbage.

Yeah I pieced mine together as well for a good price, OEM tensioner, OEM chain, new lower cover, new guides (though old weren't bad), new gaskets and new bolts.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #1874
GeorgiaBII
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 APR Stage 2 DSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbyt3 View Post
The timing chain rattle sound just started on my 2012 GTI yesterday. I've been reading through this thread and others like it but one thing I haven't found an answer for is, is it safe to drive the car?

I'm going to contact my shop ASAP and get the car in immediately, but in the mean time I want to be sure i'm okay to drive per usual.
Not safe.
GeorgiaBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #1875
SC_MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 csg gti autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Bremmen parts are rebranded aftermarket Chinese stuff sold by ECS. That's why they are so cheap. I would highly recommend getting the OEM chain. tensioner and guides. People have had aftermarket chinese tensioners and cam bridge failures causing a lot of damage...
Yea I talked to someone at ECS and he told me to go with the Febi branded parts. He said Febi are German, Bremmen are not.

SC_MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #1876
2012TP
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Slow
Car went in today for the full job. Vagcom block 093 was reading -4.84, so i guess itís overdue. 2012 with ~114k