GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgraded shocks/struts with H&R springs

bbqchipsfan

Hi guys,

Wanted to get your advice on which route I should take to fix my suspension. I installed H&R lowering springs on my car about ~6 months ago. It's my first lowered car so I wanted to go with a moderate drop which is why I chose lowering springs over coilovers. The ride quality wasn't affected immediately, but over time it has become really bouncy, intolerable, and sometimes dangerous so I think it's time to upgrade my shocks/struts or switch to coilovers.

Questions:
1) If I'm content with my current drop, would simply upgrading my shocks/struts solve my problem of a bouncy ride, or would I need to switch to coilovers? Both performance and comfort are important to me, but if i had to pick one, it would be comfort.

2) If I go shocks/struts route, it sseems like Bilstein and Konis are the brands most recommend. I have done extensive research into both and I think I want to go with Koni STR.T's. For what I'm trying to do, would these be appropriate or do you recommend the Bilstein B8s or Koni Yellows/FSD?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
those shocks will fix the bounce but might be a bit stiff if you're concerned about comfort

Last edited:

bbqchipsfan

those shocks will fix the bounce but might be a bit stiff if you're concerned about comfort

Just updated my post after finding more threads on this forum on Koni STR.T/Yellow/FSD. I believe your comment was if I went Yellow - do you think STR.T would be better for comfort?

I plan on installing it & leaving it, so adjustability isn't a deal breaker. I also have never tracked the car (nor do I plan on doing it lol).

Let me know.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I enjoy my Koni Yellows but agree they're on the firm side. STR.T are a great option. Just get a good set of shocks and you'll be fine. H&R are a bit much for the stock shocks to handle

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I have SRT.T with DG springs. While they do feel really good initially, I find that they wear out pretty quickly and becomes bouncy and too soft. It actually bottoms out if I hit a bump or did hard enough. It comes with a lifetime warranty, but it's a hassle to remove it and ship it back and reinstalling a new set every couple years. I plan of dumping mine soon and just go with Koni yellows. This is of course my preference. Some people may be satisfied with the STR.T.