GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I got mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4M0KCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a great cover. I have a leather steering wheel already on there from a Wolfsberg Edition Jetta but I like the added thickness and it is really soft. Plus there are a ton of styles to pick from. Worth the $60 for sure but the install is pretty brutal. Took me 4 1/2 hours.
I was loving the contours but since i have the basic steeling wheen it may not turn out as good.

However, I may still get one with suede. I currently wrap the wheel with tennis wrap when i go to the track, as I don't like using gloves

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just ordered the IE stage 1 tune. I am hoping this fixes the only 2 things I hate about this car. Terrible throttle response and hanging rpms when shifting. I have driven stick for 25 years and never had a car this difficult to drive correctly and that is because the throttle is all over the place. Simply touch it and it jumps making it real hard to start off smoothly in 1st gear....well consistently anyway. Everyone thinks I am trying to race them off the line because the throttle revs the second I touch it. The only way to stop it is to let the clutch engage before hitting the gas which then causes chatter. Hopefully this fixes it and I will like driving my 2.5L as much as I did the TDI.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just ordered the IE stage 1 tune. I am hoping this fixes the only 2 things I hate about this car. Terrible throttle response and hanging rpms when shifting. I have driven stick for 25 years and never had a car this difficult to drive correctly and that is because the throttle is all over the place. Simply touch it and it jumps making it real hard to start off smoothly in 1st gear....well consistently anyway. Everyone thinks I am trying to race them off the line because the throttle revs the second I touch it. The only way to stop it is to let the clutch engage before hitting the gas which then causes chatter. Hopefully this fixes it and I will like driving my 2.5L as much as I did the TDI.
IE Stage 1 is very good, ... I got a copy and installed it on my car, drivability is better, the idle is a bit higher and makes launching alot easier, never had a problem on my 2010 but the revs do fall quicker.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Love them! Conti's latest DW tire is impressive. Living at the beach in Southern California the odds of seeing snow is slim. They feel like I would probably flip the car before they broke loose. My guess is tire life won't be great but the grip is fantastic and they weren't really expensive. $130 a pop.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Love them! Conti's latest DW tire is impressive. Living at the beach in Southern California the odds of seeing snow is slim. They feel like I would probably flip the car before they broke loose. My guess is tire life won't be great but the grip is fantastic and they weren't really expensive. $130 a pop.
Thanks you have peaked my interest in these tires!

I have Pilot Sports AS3 right now but was anticipating the new Continentals as they were developed by some pretty good professional IMSA Sportscar Drivers. I'm itching to use one of those Continental discount cards that I got at the Rolex 24 Weekend a couple of weeks ago.

You're a lucky guy living by the beach in CA, I love California, the weather, the back roads and canyon driving and especially the track in Monteray. I'll will be visiting again in September to attend the Porsche Rennsport Reunion VI.
https://www.pca.org/news/2017-08-15/porsche-rennsport-reunion-vi-be-held-laguna-seca-sept-2018

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Stage 1 tune is done. Fixed almost all of the driveability issues. Much smoother throttle. No more rpm hang. Basically it drives like a normal car now. Before the car felt sickly, now it feels healthy. Definitly worth the $$. This car is now officially more fun to drive than my tdi was. Plus I got my $350 bosch settlement check today, so the tune was technically only $200.

So does the tuner download a file that it then writes to the ecu or is it writing to the ecu directly from the web? I.E. if you loose internet connection will it hose your ecu?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks you have peaked my interest in these tires!

I have Pilot Sports AS3 right now but was anticipating the new Continentals as they were developed by some pretty good professional IMSA Sportscar Drivers. I'm itching to use one of those Continental discount cards that I got at the Rolex 24 Weekend a couple of weeks ago.

You're a lucky guy living by the beach in CA, I love California, the weather, the back roads and canyon driving and especially the track in Monteray. I'll will be visiting again in September to attend the Porsche Rennsport Reunion VI.
https://www.pca.org/news/2017-08-15/porsche-rennsport-reunion-vi-be-held-laguna-seca-sept-2018

One thing I should mention is these are not the quietest tires in the world. That's not a huge deal to me but I think it's a deal breaker to some.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Both but generally at higher speeds like >80mph
it could be your wheel bearing(s). I had a left wheel bearing going bad, when I turned slightly right I could hear the sound but when I turned left or back to straight the sound disappeared. I replaced it and everything is now quiet.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
That thought had crossed my mind but actually it depends on the road surface I am on. I pulled my rack off to see what they really sound like as my rack is noisy as well over 80mph and they are actually not as loud as I had thought. I still would not consider them quiet but they stick like glue. I was out having fun with the new suspension and tune yesterday and took the corner to my fwy onramp at somewhere around 60 (it's not a 90 degree turn obviously) and it took it like it was on rails. My tdi wouldn't have taken that turn that well so I am pretty happy with the setup as it stands. I set out to make this 2.5L as fun to drive as my tdi was and I feel I have exceeded expectations.

On a separate note I wish they made a billet oil dipstick for this thing. Mine broke into a bunch of tiny pieces when I pulled it out this morning to check the oil.

So, what did I do to my MK6 2.5L today....Bought a new dipstick.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
That thought had crossed my mind but actually it depends on the road surface I am on. I pulled my rack off to see what they really sound like as my rack is noisy as well over 80mph and they are actually not as loud as I had thought. I still would not consider them quiet but they stick like glue. I was out having fun with the new suspension and tune yesterday and took the corner to my fwy onramp at somewhere around 60 (it's not a 90 degree turn obviously) and it took it like it was on rails. My tdi wouldn't have taken that turn that well so I am pretty happy with the setup as it stands. I set out to make this 2.5L as fun to drive as my tdi was and I feel I have exceeded expectations.

On a separate note I wish they made a billet oil dipstick for this thing. Mine broke into a bunch of tiny pieces when I pulled it out this morning to check the oil.

Great progress :thumbup:

Since you just got the car make sure you replace the coolant as people neglect changing it. Brake Fluid too.

Dartregor

Ready to race!

ECS has billet ones that range between $30-100.

EDIT: not sure if any of them will fit the 2.5 engine.

Last edited: