GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Dartregor

Ready to race!
many mods

On a side note I got my Mk6 shark blue 2.5l back a couple months ago.

So far i've done a few mods to help make the car my own.

I inherited the car from a dealership in ohio. According to as much info i could find, the car liked its whole life in that state and was in amazing condition except that it had previously been home to a smoker. Extracted the interior and drastically reduced that smell.

Since then ive put on a hatch pop kit. didn't get the button as eventually my friend is gone find where his is and give it to me. it got him the whole thing a couple years ago but he never got around to putting the button in till after his gti was totaled.

I've also replaced my shift boot with a BFI leather and silver stitching. have to say amazing quality. although when they say only for BFI shift knobs i can kinda see why. ill say more about that in a min.

Another mod i did was a new shift knob. that started off with my 5 speed coin coming off my oem knob stuck to my hand when it was warmer out.

called up ecs and said hey i wana try out several knobs. the guy was like yeah cool just add which ever ones you want to your cart and try each out for a week or two and send the ones i don't want back. he said as long as i didn't damage them and started the return before 90 days of the arrival date on my door step id be perfectly fine. so i went with the Raceseng Slammer at a nice 635g. Felt great and really adds to the experience. its silver bead blasted for a silky yet still good grip. doest get hot in the summer but holy shit those days when it was -20 deg f out.

now about the shift boot and raceseng shift knob. Raceseng has a thicker diameter adapter than BFI does (i tried one of those out also but it was only a third of the weight and didn't do it for me even tho they are sexy.). so when i tried to slide up the boot it wasn't having it. but i warmed it up some and made the adapter and the boot play together for like half an hour or more and eventually got the leather to stretch that extra mm or whatever and slide up and seat right at the base of the new knob.

the next mods are on the way or sitting in a box next to me.
I got the
-stage 3 front suspension refresh kit from ecs (next to me)
-stage 2 rear suspension kit should be at my door step mid march (backordered)
-billet oil filter housing (next to me)
-the new updated coils and spark plugs ( in the mail)
-smooth black expansion tank cap (in the mail)
-black washer fluid reservoir cap ( in the mail)

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Oh i forgot to mention. I have a stock gti touch screen head unit that i swapped the original non touch screen that the base golfs came with.

Another mod I've completed is heated blind spot mirrors i swapped for the original oems. I also put on sequential turn signal mirrors with the puddle lamps. altho i havent ran the wire for the puddle lamps yet as i only wana take my door card off once. i plan to put in some new upgraded speakers in the spring. My friend also gave me some Infinity Reference REF-6522ix speakers for front and back. just gotta finish modifying the wiring adapter to use the stock vw connectors and also allow the stock tweeters to work.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity does anyone know off hand what the mk6 gti touch screen head units put out RMS wise per channel?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
ECS has billet ones that range between $30-100.

EDIT: not sure if any of them will fit the 2.5 engine.

They don't. They don't make any for the 2.5L with the exception of the whanab billet handles but those use the stock base which is what crumbled on mine. Bought a new oem part but it didn't fit. So I had to find an old style oem one.

unie01

oil change and replaced the fuel filter

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
What oil is everyone running? and what brand of filter?
Everyone seem to have their own opinion on this, here is mine.

I don't worry about German oil or VW Spec oil, Porsche Spec oil or BMW Spec oil; I just make sure I change it regularly in all my cars. For the Golf I run Castrol Syntec 5W30 all year round, I put 5 litres every 7.5k to 10k depending on the driving conditions, I check the level often and make sure it's never more than the full mark but I don't mind if its in the middle of the add zone.

I buy it by the case when the 5 litre bottles it go on sale for $33 at Canadian Tire.

To each his own!

EDIT: Our engine is not turbo, it does not run hot enough to thin the oil out, so IMO running 40 weight oil in the form of 5W40 or 0W40, just restricts and slows the reciprocating parts as does running with too much oil in the crankcase.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ordered a SS clutch line today and am going to do the Clutch Delay Valve removal as well when I install it. Also ordered a USP cold air intake. Let me know if anyone has any experience with these.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Everyone seem to have their own opinion on this, here is mine.

To each his own!

EDIT: Our engine is not turbo, it does not run hot enough to thin the oil out, so IMO running 40 weight oil in the form of 5W40 or 0W40, just restricts and slows the reciprocating parts...

I get that a lot. I've always done 5k with mann filters in anyone of my cars where applicable. i have the hope in my head that the 5k will help it last slightly longer. I recently started running liquimoly's molygen. Its 5w40 but i never really noticed or cared too much about 5w30 vs 5w40. i just know our engines probably wouldn't my girlfriends oil (0w20). I got it cause the engine has 110k miles on it and i wana be able to see if theres any oil leaks and the uv reactive oil will hopefully help me do that.

how hot does our engine run compared to the 2.0T's?