GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golfmk6toC5.com: Official C5 Thread - 33.7 MPG's and counting!

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Ok... Honestly saying an Airbag doesn't do shit is just ... well see for yourself

There is a reason they are mandated all over the world just like seat belts.

I'm not downplaying the significance of the airbag, just that I don't see it as such a necessity. Young and dumb I guess.

Can you even get discounts right now? I don't think that price gap is truly attainable at least for us peasants without the GM discounts. It is at least 20k+

Also why are you comparing 2LT vs 1LZ?

I doubt I could find a dealer that would give me my price on a Z06, but I wouldn't buy one now anyway. True, most people would be at $20k, but in a year or two, I think it'll be easier to find deals for everyone.

The 1LZ adds HUD, which you can't get in the 1LT, and I like A LOT, especially when driving fast. I also like the auto-dimming side mirror and heated/cooled seats that come with the 2LT. It also comes standard with MSRC (critical to me), which is a $2k option on the Z51 Stingrays.

But, more apples to apples, minus the HUD...

$54k (1LT w/MSRC) vs $70k. So, we're at $16k now. OK, maybe there isn't $16k worth of performance, but the HUD is nice. :laugh:

Still, $54k for a car. :lol::laugh::lol::laugh:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It may be 54k but you don't have to spend jack shit on tires/steering wheels/maintenance (nearly nothing)/repairs etc the car is set up great and worry free. It also looks amazing. IMO that is worth an extra 300 a month or so.

When you start adding up all the mod/cost of mods that can easily put you over that. Vs something you will just get to enjoy straight out of the box.

Once my job situation clears up this year I'll be doing some thinking on this. I am tired of a turBRO yaris egg.

PetrolHead

It may be 54k but you don't have to spend jack shit on tires/steering wheels/maintenance (nearly nothing)/repairs etc the car is set up great and worry free. It also looks amazing. IMO that is worth an extra 300 a month or so.

When you start adding up all the mod/cost of mods that can easily put you over that. Vs something you will just get to enjoy straight out of the box.

Once my job situation clears up this year I'll be doing some thinking on this. I am tired of a turBRO yaris egg.

I've got all the mods I'm going to do to this car. If it's not where I want it, I'm not going any deeper, so the mod budget is a moot point. It has brand new tires on it (evo V112's that I've had on nearly every performance car I've owned), and I'm going to burn those off before changing the wheels and/or tires. Tires for the C5 will be WAY cheaper than the C7 given wheel diameters and I will go through tires quickly, so this is an important consideration. I'd have to maintain a C7 to the same level I'll maintain the C5 since it'll see regular track duty. Those costs are likely similar, if not slightly in favor of the C5. Also, insurance on the C7 is quite a bit higher than the C5, but it's about what the ATS costs, so it's not a huge deal. Overall, the C5 is likely the same or cheaper to operate than a C7.

You got me on looks, interior, and worry-free lifestyle, doe. If the C5 starts acting up, it'll be in trouble. I've got a short window of time in the year to enjoy it, and if I'm spending it working on it, it's done. I have to ride out the ATS lease before I decide anyway, which is 2 years away. Maybe when that's up I'll be ready to trade the C5 for a C7, and maybe I can find a used 2LT in the mid 40's.

A new $54k C7 has many concessions for me. Dimming side mirrors are epic. My C5 has it, and I love it because it means not being blinded by the myriad of trucks and SUVs rolling behind you at night. Cooled seats are incredible, and I'd love to have them. Same goes for the HUD. The 2LT is ideal, but then I'm at $60k new, and that's a little cray. I can stomach mid-50's...I think. I just don't want to buy a cheap car and make concessions then regret it later.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Wait... C5 has dimming side mirrors? I don't think so I think only the rear mirror dimmed.

I hear you on the 2LT, I just think that 5k is like $4800 in profit for GM those options aren't that great and they cost a shit ton. I am kind of battling that one as well.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
dimming driver side and rear view, not passenger side

Something new every day I didn't realize I had that :thumbsup:

Crazy thing is how many more options my now 15 year old C5 had over my 4 year old turdi.

Power Seats
Memory Seats
Dimming mirrors
Auto Hvac
HUD

:laugh:

PetrolHead

Wait... C5 has dimming side mirrors? I don't think so I think only the rear mirror dimmed.

I hear you on the 2LT, I just think that 5k is like $4800 in profit for GM those options aren't that great and they cost a shit ton. I am kind of battling that one as well.

My car has 1SB, and the driver's side mirror dims with on-coming traffic as detected by the rear view mirror. I've watched it occur. The passenger mirror doesn't do this, but that's not the issue anyway. It is EPIC. I remember times in my 944 when I had to pull off the road to let people pass because I was so blinded by the headlights. Not a problem in my car. Our Saab also dims the side mirror.

I always view upper trims and options as a money-grab for OEMs and since they're worth $0 in resale, it's easy to dismiss them. But some upper features are REALLY nice. Dimming side mirrors, cooled seats, HUD, etc make the overall driving and ownership experience much more pleasant. I don't know if I'd be perfectly happy with a 1LT. I'd love a 2LT, but then I could spend $10k more and have the most badass peen-extender in town. I might be able to make concessions for that. :iono:

PetrolHead

Got my Cruze steering wheel yesterday, and it's the same damned size as the C5 one. Maybe half an inch smaller, if that, and I didn't even bother measuring. All my research indicated that it should be at least an inch smaller, and the one I sat in at the auto show seemed to be smaller, but the proof is in the pudding. Oh well, at least I'm not out much. It's a shame because I REALLY like the way the wheel looks. Guess I'll just keep the stock one until I decide how long the car is going to stay.