GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Opinion Road Hugger GT Ultra

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys..

While out and about for the holiday weekend i picked up two nails/screws in both rear tires. (one in each) My buddy who i was with, who sells wheels and tires, said one should be patch-able but the other was technically outside the DOT "line" meaning most places would give a hard time about patching it or would refuse to.

I have Discount Tire Certificates for Repair/replace so im not to worried.

but the only tires currently available at my store are Road Hugger GT Ultra Tires... Is anyone running these or has run them?

Pros and cons? I currently have Continental Extreme Contact DW tires.
They doe have some Continental Control Contact Sport All Seasons (more than my certificates are worth but not that bad) I try to avoid All seasons but will take your opinions on those too.

I know the Contis are probably the better buy if needed but im not trying to drop money before the holidays if i dont need too.

So really interested in hearing your guys stories about the Road Hugger GT Ultras if you can.

zrickety

The Fixer
The reviews are good...if you are trying to save money I would get them. If you want a better tire, get the Continentals.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The reviews are good...if you are trying to save money I would get them. If you want a better tire, get the Continentals.
yeah i read the reviews on their website but i was wondering if anyone here had some first hand experience with them on our cars ya know?

My main areas of thought are Wet Traction and i suppose mpg. They seem like a hard tire by their tread wear grade rating so i would assume mpg would be alright at the sacrifice for grip. The Conti A/S are even higher in tread wear rating but i think thats common in All Seasons.

GT Ultra Tread Grade : 460
Conti Contact A/S : 540
Current Conti DW : 340

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Are you buying 4, 2 or 1? I'm not a fan of mixing tire types & brands. Have them order one in that matches the others.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Are you buying 4, 2 or 1? I'm not a fan of mixing tire types & brands. Have them order one in that matches the others.
i would buy 2 if i was to get them. The 2 New ones would go in the rear, obviously per safety standards.
The tires i have now are about 2 years old. And have about half the tread life remaining so i wouldn't want to only do 1 tire as it would be odd imo to have 3 tires at ~5mm and one new one at 9-10mm

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Buy 2 more Conti's to match the front. My local Discount tire can get me anything I want in a couple of days.

Discount Tire Direct was having a black Friday sale. Maybe they have a cyber Monday one.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Buy 2 more Conti's to match the front

x2 on this, and the certificates should cover it anyways (or at least the one)

ASSUMING that they can still get the DW though, which was discontinued for it's replacement the Sport which is more $$$ (although has a 30k tread warranty now)

But I'd still run the Sports with the DW, if they couldn't get them...they'd be similar enough to the DW

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
x2 on this, and the certificates should cover it anyways (or at least the one)

ASSUMING that they can still get the DW though, which was discontinued for it's replacement the Sport which is more $$$ (although has a 30k tread warranty now)

But I'd still run the Sports with the DW, if they couldn't get them...they'd be similar enough to the DW
Yeah when i got there i planned on just getting the conti if needed but they repaired it without even saying anything to me. So either my friend was mistaken, it was dark and late when we looked, or they just dont care where its at.

trekker

Go Kart Newbie
i would buy 2 if i was to get them. The 2 New ones would go in the rear, obviously per safety standards.
The tires i have now are about 2 years old. And have about half the tread life remaining so i wouldn't want to only do 1 tire as it would be odd imo to have 3 tires at ~5mm and one new one at 9-10mm

This is what we always do and recommend when one of the tires need to be replaced. Recently, one guy brought his truck for new wheels, skyjacker lift kits and brake job the rear passenger got a good puncture. With the tires only half of their life remaining, he decided to get a new pair for the rears. The annoying squeaking sounds even gone.