GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scary carbon buildup

speedster

Go Kart Champion
If you're paying the $6-800 for the cleaning, then it should be the full cleaning. Anywho, if you end up doing it, I would be interested in any advice/tips on how to avoid getting solvent in your motor through the valves and also how to properly dry and turn the crank bolt to open/close the other valves.

That is the only area I'm foggy. Not too sure how to remove the intake mani either--even after going through the DIY. I think I just need to get in there and check it out for myself. Hell, if I can pull of the K04 I can do this.

I went through the two DIYs for this. Basically you remove a bunch of bolts then take the mani off.

The most complex part seems to be depressurizing the fuel line.

For the valves from what I read you just pull the serpentine belt and they advance.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
Quick tip: Remove spark plugs and turn motor by crank bolt until piston is top dead center (TDC) and valves appear to be closed. Use a straw or something long and straight about a foot long down the spark plug hole to find the highest point of travel of the piston. If all plugs are removed you can rotate the engine easily as well as back and forth to find the top.

The valves will seal pretty well because the seats don't get so contaminated due to constantly making and unmaking contact with the head.

As far as relieving the high pressure fuel system. I won't tell you what to do, but I just use a rag and a slow turning wrench. A small turn and it's beer break.

Don't pull on the serpentine belt to turn the engine over.

Last edited:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
A quick update:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
This is number 2, the one that has been misfiring

The rest are bad, but nothing like number 2. For example

artur1292

Go Kart Champion

Not the greatest picture but this is my sisters 2010 eos. This is at only 38k miles when the water pump failed. Because the car is over 4 years old I ended up replacing the water pump at home. Took off manifold to access the pump to replace it. Needless to say I was not surprised with all the carbon build up and had someone help me out with cleaning those puppies (didn't want to get solvent in the engine).

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Crazy buildup. Thanks for the pics. Hope this goes well. We are all waiting for it!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Quick tip: Remove spark plugs and turn motor by crank bolt until piston is top dead center (TDC) and valves appear to be closed. Use a straw or something long and straight about a foot long down the spark plug hole to find the highest point of travel of the piston. If all plugs are removed you can rotate the engine easily as well as back and forth to find the top.

The valves will seal pretty well because the seats don't get so contaminated due to constantly making and unmaking contact with the head.

As far as relieving the high pressure fuel system. I won't tell you what to do, but I just use a rag and a slow turning wrench. A small turn and it's beer break.

Don't pull on the serpentine belt to turn the engine over.
Thanks for the tips. How many valves will be closed that you can work on at a time?

How do you dry out the valve to ensure its safe to move it again? Just a towel/rag?

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
Thanks for the tips. How many valves will be closed that you can work on at a time?

How do you dry out the valve to ensure its safe to move it again? Just a towel/rag?

You can just about work on 3 sets of valves at a time, but I would just do 2. To remove the solvent from the port, I would recommend something that can suck the fluid out, like an oil evacuator for oil changes. If you have the right suction tube, you will get enough of it out. The valves will be wet looking, but there should be no standing fluid.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Should I clean my injectors? There is a little bit of carbon on the surface. Not sure if its safe to use the solvent though because the injectors have plastic parts.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
Should I clean my injectors? There is a little bit of carbon on the surface. Not sure if its safe to use the solvent though because the injectors have plastic parts.

I wouldn't mess with them. Best way to make sure injectors are clean and clear is to use a quality fuel tank additive.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Just finished the first two sets. How on earth did you guys get them so clean? I've been at it for 2 hours and they're still not sparkling. Used 4 10 minute sessions with the cleaner, scraped it off with the picks, rubbed everywhere with pieces of rags inside.

Last edited:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
No where near close to perfect but this will do it for me.

k03tfsi

Ready to race!
thats my carbon buildup after 60.000 miles on my 1.8tsi...

DSC1st.jpg

DSC2nd.jpg

DSC3rd.jpg

DSC4th.jpg

on the 1st, 3rd and 4th the guy was beginning to clean the right valves, so I dont was there to take some pics. I think its not so bad for 60k miles and with no w/m and only one seafoaming since 15k miles.

DSCclean.jpg

Last edited:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Looks way better than mine at 47k. Is yours direct injection?

My number 1 looks like yours. I wonder if number 2 on mine is so much worse because of PCV.