GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Golf R Exclusivity Fee?

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
I was told by my local VW dealer that when the 7.5s come in, they will all have a $2500 charge attached to them because of their exclusivity. Being a GTI owner, is this normal? Or should I look elsewhere. They said this is going to be the case no matter what dealership I go to, but I'm not new to the dealership games. just wondering if this is the case with all brand new Rs

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
Tell them to go screw themselves and their exclusivity prices. They are screwing people is what they are doing....

Buy a used R and save $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I was told the same thing by my VW dealer though he said it was going to be closer to $5,000. Personally it made me want one even less but I get it. What bothers me more is the lying. I didn't get a straight answer from the dealer why the 2018 Golf R is delayed and saw this reply to the question on the Volkswagen Facebook page:

Hi Robert, we're eagerly anticipating the 2018 Golf R as well! Because we're working to make sure that the new Golf R is up to VW's high standards, the model's launch has been delayed. I don't have an ETA at this time, but I encourage you to periodically check media.vw.com and vw.com to get the latest updates on the Golf R and our other vehicles.

Boris B.
VW Social Media Advocate

Does that mean they aren't concerned about Canada's high standards where the 2018 Golf R has been available for months? For me, I am refreshing my 2011 and then probably switching brands in a few years.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I was told the same thing by my VW dealer though he said it was going to be closer to $5,000. Personally it made me want one even less but I get it. What bothers me more is the lying. I didn't get a straight answer from the dealer why the 2018 Golf R is delayed and saw this reply to the question on the Volkswagen Facebook page:

Does that mean they aren't concerned about Canada's high standards where the 2018 Golf R has been available for months? For me, I am refreshing my 2011 and then probably switching brands in a few years.

It means "we have no idea what's going on with it, so here's some bullshit to shut you up."

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
It means "we have no idea what's going on with it, so here's some bullshit to shut you up."

I was told they would have the first few vehicles within a month. Not that I need one of the first on the lot, but I do want an '18. The problem is the only way to get that fee removed would likely be lack of interest, which isn't going to happen. The old "if you don't want to, somebody else will". Maybe I'll look into 17s..

bebersol

Ready to race!
I was told by my local VW dealer that when the 7.5s come in, they will all have a $2500 charge attached to them because of their exclusivity. Being a GTI owner, is this normal? Or should I look elsewhere. They said this is going to be the case no matter what dealership I go to, but I'm not new to the dealership games. just wondering if this is the case with all brand new Rs

wait a few months!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
If you're willing to make a trip to Virginia, dealers around here have tons of 2018s now, and they're all being sold at sticker.

My closest dealer is actually showing $2k off for an online price on all of theirs.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have seen new R's near me in the $38-39k range. I believe they were 'delayed' because fiscal year for automakers started in April.

Doclively79

Passed Driver's Ed
They do this crap all the time. They hellcats we’re selling for over 100,000 when they first came out when they were only MSRP for 70-80k depending on options....F’ing dealerships!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
They do this crap all the time. They hellcats we’re selling for over 100,000 when they first came out when they were only MSRP for 70-80k depending on options....F’ing dealerships!
Ya that's true BUT VW's rep is in the toilet in US. The fact that the charges are varying among Dealers says that this purely a Dealer thing.

Someone must take this public to get VW to lay down what little leverage they have these days.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
Dealers can charge whatever they want if they feel someone is stupid enough (or desperate enough) to pay. There was a dealer near me in south jersey that was charging exclusivity fees of 2500 over sticker on GTIs last year when they first hit the lot. Needless to say they sat on the lot for a long time. Meanwhile a dealer 15 minutes away was selling same cars for well under sticker. Inventory levels also play a part in the dealers calculation.

I’ll never pay a premium to be the 1st one to drive a particular vehicle.