GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration?

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

I have a 2013 VW Golf 2.5l There is an incredibly annoying vibration that feels like its coming through the bottom of my seat. The vibration occurs at speeds over 50mph. Here is a time line of the services I have done to my car, and when I noticed the vibration starting....

2016 - I had some cheap tires put on my car with 15in steel wheels and the car ran so smooth, no vibrations whatsoever, even at highway speeds

Feb 2018 - New tires installed (different brand) but same size. This is when I noticed the vibration. I took the car back to the shop and had them check. All the tires were balanced fine and they checked the alignment which was only a few days old so that checked out fine as well. When my tires were installed I noticed that they put new wheel weights on the steel wheels that I didn't notice before? Could these cause the vibration?

July 2018 - My car was hit while it was parked on the road and there was damage to the front left tire. I used this opportunity to get new tires thinking this would fix the vibration issue. New tires installed in July, balanced, and aligned and the vibration is still there at speeds over 50mph.

Any idea what would be causing this if I have had the wheels balanced and aligned this many times? Are the wheel weights necessary and could they be the issue?

Thanks everyone.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I'd say tires since you first noticed it when you changed tires. Could also be something loose in the suspension somewhere that is not quite loose enough to make noise otherwise. I'd say tires though. It is amazing how much a difference in all-around comfort and driveability a good set of tires can make.

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that's the thing. In july when my car was in the shop I had 4 new tires installed. These are much better tires overall than the previous ones I had, and the vibration continues. Double the price per tire than the super cheap ones I had back in 2016 that gave me no vibrations.

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd have to check that to be 100% sure. I would assume that they were by the shop but I cant be too sure.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Also possibly a bent rim. If the rim is bent such that it is slightly warped a lazy tire tech may not notice (or care). You could still balance a taco'd rim.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hello,

I have a 2013 VW Golf 2.5l There is an incredibly annoying vibration that feels like its coming through the bottom of my seat. The vibration occurs at speeds over 50mph. Here is a time line of the services I have done to my car, and when I noticed the vibration starting....

2016 - I had some cheap tires put on my car with 15in steel wheels and the car ran so smooth, no vibrations whatsoever, even at highway speeds

Feb 2018 - New tires installed (different brand) but same size. This is when I noticed the vibration. I took the car back to the shop and had them check. All the tires were balanced fine and they checked the alignment which was only a few days old so that checked out fine as well. When my tires were installed I noticed that they put new wheel weights on the steel wheels that I didn't notice before? Could these cause the vibration?

July 2018 - My car was hit while it was parked on the road and there was damage to the front left tire. I used this opportunity to get new tires thinking this would fix the vibration issue. New tires installed in July, balanced, and aligned and the vibration is still there at speeds over 50mph.

Any idea what would be causing this if I have had the wheels balanced and aligned this many times? Are the wheel weights necessary and could they be the issue?

Thanks everyone.
I had the same problem, it's a combination of things that cause the "shimmy" as we refer to the vibration in the BMW world. Bottom line your lower control arm bushings are worn and need replacement. Softer softwall tires will cover the problem up by absorbing some of the ossolations. The rear bushing is the most at fault but while you're in there you should do the front as well.

Short Bus did us a great write up, if you're handy you can save $$ using it.
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112049

I bought my Febi bushings from AutohausAZ.

Good Luck

bman291317

Passed Driver's Ed
I appreciate the all the information so far. Looking to get my car into a local shop soon to take a look at it. Thanks again everyone.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The only way to be certain without replacing parts is to get a Road Force Balance.

If you were in Toronto, I could recommend a few places that specialize in Road Force Balancing, ... fewer shops are offering this service these days.

Good luck!