GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry about the illness on your trip but it reminds me of a story. I took a cruise to Ensenada and we took a day excursion to la bufadora (the blowhole). On the 45 min drive out there we were talking to a family who was going on and on about how worried they were about the water and getting sick and all the precautions and bottled water and what not. So we get to town and go our separate ways and eventually we go to get some food at the only little @&#%hole place to eat in town (this place is practically 3rd world) and there is the family sitting around pounding down margarita. So I say, "I thought you guys were all scared to drink the water". They looked at me perplexed and I said "I'm not sure where you think that ice came from but it sure wasn't from a bottle". It was pretty funny to see the look on their face.

In my younger days, we'd go to TJ quite a bit and it was always corona and tequila.

On a different note. I haven't used the dongle you speak of but it sounds cool. As for the wheel, I too went the apr badge way for the same reasons and now they're only $15 and they look pretty good. I know you think it's too much trouble but I would wrap the wheel. It's actually really not that hard. Look at the videos online. It looks so much better than even a new wheel. And adds a little thickness. It is amazing how changing just a few things on the interior make a huge difference.

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Hello again all my fellow 2.5ers. Back from vacation in Mexico where I got sick... I didn't drink the water but I did have a lot of mixed drinks where I'm assuming the ice was the culprit. What a great way to end a vacation and start a new job tomorrow. :(

You guys have been up to a lot lately it seems. Some interesting stuff here.

@Dartregor; I had a similar issue where my ECS would randomly go off even on straight roads. No interaction but a dash light just like you mentioned. Pulled negative terminal for 30 min to reset and its never come back so far. Its been years since that ordeal. Did I miss you trying this or have you tried this yet?

@KanyesChest; Drone can suck. One thing I noticed while doing a different mod was that when I went from the stock crankshaft pulley to ECS' lightweight under drive pulley, it lessened the drone while keeping my exhaust basically the same while accelerating. If you were planing on doing that mod, might be a win-win?

Got a few questions for you guys; Do any of you use or have experience using the 'Carista' OBD2 dongle and done any of the 'apps' with it? I have a few wants from it and it looks decent but I don't want to mess up any previous coding that I've had for a long while now.

I also bought a cheap 'USED' GTI steering wheels and the pictures were deceiving. The leather is pretty gnarly. A couple smallish gashes and the black leather is pretty worn between the 8 o'clock position through the 4 o'clock position. I tried using some Meguiar's but its past any minor chemical wipe solutions. I got it for a pretty good price, $200, and I'm decently happy with it since the stupid cheap steering wheel was one thing that has always annoyed the hell out of me. Even in this condition I consider it an upgrade by miles. I don't have the skills to rewrap the wheel and won't pursue that but do you guys know of any other methods or anything to try to cover that worn leather look up shown below? I also don't want to get a steering wheel cover. Perfect case of you get what you pay for.

I'll also have a ECS weighted shift knob and OEM 35th anniversary parking brake handle in by this Friday. Week after that should be an APR bottom pilar replacement since my GTI steering wheel is on a non-GTI car. I don't like to badge my car as something its not. :thumbup:

Good to know! I'll see if I can get that into the upgrade timeline sometime in the future :)

As far as your leather situation.. I found this video when figuring out how to fix up my seats. Won't help with the feel of the leather, but might be able to help with the colour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGXzwkjyKwA

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Funny we were just talking about TJ. That is some straight outa TJ interior restoration right there. I bet that car has a coat hanger holding up the exhaust. No but seriously I would be pretty hesitant to do that to your steering wheel.

A quote from an article about removing paint from leather....

"One of the biggest mistakes that you can make is to reach for a solvent, such as paint thinner or turpentine; the solvent will cause more damage to the leather than the paint did."

In that guy in the videos defense the seats probably couldn't be more @&d$ed than they already were. 100 bucks says he turned around and sold that car on eBay with a caption like "Interior recently reconditioned!"

Aside from all that, the leather on the steering wheel is not soft leather like a seat and doesn't absorb moisture like a seat would....probably by design. Basically, I think it might look ok initially but I cannot see that holding up very long on something that you are touching as often as a steering wheel. No doubt that paint will be coming off on your hands. You can take it to a professional and have it recovered. If you are looking for a cheap way out your best bet is to leave it be. Could have been worse. You could have gotten the steering wheel and it is all bent up with blood all over it. Gotta love eBay. You never know what your gonna get.

Last edited:

Dartregor

Ready to race!
I just rember posting this in April, it could be your problem.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115847&highlight=recall

Get it checked out.

Ill have to take it to the dealer and have them check this when i get back from my work trip. Heading to Indianapolis for several days and am taking my car so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

I swear it was not even 24 hours after i read that recall that i had an incident coming off the highway today. I was on a off ramp that went to the right and about a 1/3 of the way through it the abs/stability started going off on the left side about 4-5 pulses with 1 sec in-between. I was only going about 60 mph no traffic so it wasnt a big deal i just coasted through correcting as i went.

So i guess when i get back ill pop of the connectors off each wheel speed sensor and check for corrosion as well as run a resistance check on them to make sure there isnt one going bad. And then call the dealer about the recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Im thinking its either that or something up with my steering angle sensor. I hit some really rough roads and my steering wheel isnt centered anymore. To go straight the difference between the right and left side is about an inch. But believe me i was kinda livid cause i need to get one of my front wheels rebalanced now. But other than that i think i made it out of the situation really well. Gotta call up my alignment shop sometime tho. But its gona be hard for me cause i got to go back out on a business trip for about 25 days. So itll be sitting for the most part. I maybe be able to get home here and there but only on a weekend which doesnt help me.

But man i cant wait till i get it dialed in cause for that single week it was perfect. And i wana get it back to that so bad.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Im thinking its either that or something up with my steering angle sensor. I hit some really rough roads and my steering wheel isnt centered anymore. To go straight the difference between the right and left side is about an inch....
The long trip or bouncing helped to settle the suspension. I'll bet the three bolts on the ball joint are loose and need to be retorqued, it wouldn't be the first time.

brutaledge_

Brakes are done! Easy peasy.

Nice. I'll need to do mine soon. I think I'm going to go for slotted even though it has its risks. I'm a fairly light braker, so hopefully I won't have any ill effects like warping.

I received and installed my ECS 265g shift knob and GTI parking break to almost complete the interior look with the recently installed GTI steering wheel. My APR bottom pillar will be in tomorrow to replace the GTI badge of the steering wheel. I'll post a pic of the complete look tomorrow or so.

Also, I was poking around for a CarPlay radio to replace my RCD310 and found this...

MIB 6.5'' MIB RCD330 CarPlay Desay 187B Stereo

Did a bit of research on it and decided to take the plunge. I'll get it right after I return back to CA after my wedding next week so I'll post up to give some short term updates regarding it. Excited to replace the basic radio with a factory looking CarPlay unit. Its also apparently a plug and play type install with only 4 screws to remove and two-three cables to direct swap over. :happyanim:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....Did a bit of research on it and decided to take the plunge. I'll get it right after I return back to CA after my wedding next week so I'll post up to give some short term updates regarding it. Excited to replace the basic radio with a factory looking CarPlay unit. Its also apparently a plug and play type install with only 4 screws to remove and two-three cables to direct swap over. :happyanim:
Wait, What! It sounds like you're taking more than one plunge in short order.

Congratulations on the Wedding!:thumbup:

Dartregor

Ready to race!
The long trip or bouncing helped to settle the suspension. I'll bet the three bolts on the ball joint are loose and need to be retorqued, it wouldn't be the first time.

Ill add that to my list of things to check. I made sure to check those during installation and torqued to mf spec of 44ftlbs.

brutaledge_

Wait, What! It sounds like you're taking more than one plunge in short order.

Congratulations on the Wedding!:thumbup:

Heh, yeah, I suppose one could say that.