GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

james9120

Go Kart Champion
I think I gained about 500 rpm of spool time with the Truboost quick spool settings. I was spooling around 3500-3700 and now I can't spool at anything under 4000 after disabling it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Supposedly the rods "bend". And I did a lot of research and I can't find anyone who has thrown, bent, broken a rod from sheer power. I HAVE found oil starvation, injector failure, and timing chain failures which have caused problems.

I really want to do this for the community that has helped me so much. I hope I can get a cheap motor nearby. And it sounds fun...

Damn was hoping we could at least do the swap for you. But not if u build urself and blow up down there.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
More than welcome to do mine lol

Just a thought but after I'm doing getting my current crap running, I may fund you to build a 2nd block on the side to just swap in when the time is right

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Fuck. Yes.

We don't have enough of this knowledge on the TSI motor yet. And it's a 5 year old motor!

Has anybody thrown a rod yet?

I have never in my life seen or heard anything about a TSI throwing a rod. I think this notion that the community cries that you need need need to build your motor to go past 400whp is super played up. Same thing goes for the FSI motor. Everybody says the world will end if you don't have rods past 350wtq and yet I have only seen one post of a rod ever bending. I think the fear is all a bit played up.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Yes it may be played up but should you really trust a crucial engine component that was designed with 200BHP in mind?

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I have never in my life seen or heard anything about a TSI throwing a rod. I think this notion that the community cries that you need need need to build your motor to go past 400whp is super played up. Same thing goes for the FSI motor. Everybody says the world will end if you don't have rods past 350wtq and yet I have only seen one post of a rod ever bending. I think the fear is all a bit played up.

That's why I want to figure out the real truth. I already have 10k+
Miles at over 400 WHP.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to post this on both BT threads...

Seems like I am going to source a second motor and put my rods and such in that one over the next couple months. BUT...

I am going to blow mine up. I am going to see how much power, boost, etc. we can push through these rods for as long as possible. I will have my spare motor sitting at my shop while this happens. Hopefully I can put to rest if the limit really is/was 400.

Not saying you will but it could destroy your turbo, trans and hurt other components if you do.

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Yes^ in fact Sebastian got lucky that his rod ejected where it did. Most likely the only thing I would worry about is putting a rod thru your radiator, intercooler, or turbo buuuut you'll prob be fine. Hell I cant salvage this engine from that far away, it has the wrong wrist pin size, blow it sky high, lol. then sell parts out of it as needed. I bet it last longer than we all think, especially with those low miles. You need a gopro strapped to your head for the first time you crank the boost up to 30.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Yes^ in fact Sebastian got lucky that his rod ejected where it did. Most likely the only thing I would worry about is putting a rod thru your radiator, intercooler, or turbo buuuut you'll prob be fine. Hell I cant salvage this engine from that far away, it has the wrong wrist pin size, blow it sky high, lol. then sell parts out of it as needed. I bet it last longer than we all think, especially with those low miles. You need a gopro strapped to your head for the first time you crank the boost up to 30.

Haha I'll have to go get a gopro.

This all is contingent on me getting a GOOD motor for a really good price. A lot around here for less than 1500 and less than 30k miles. So that's a good start.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Not saying you will but it could destroy your turbo, trans and hurt other components if you do.

That's a very good point. I'm not actually trying to blow the block up though. I just would like to see how strong these rods really are. I think running the car at 30 psi for a few months will tell us something more.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
That's a very good point. I'm not actually trying to blow the block up though. I just would like to see how strong these rods really are. I think running the car at 30 psi for a few months will tell us something more.

You wont really know you bent one though until you take it apart/logs and there is a very fine line between bent and a catastrophic failure if any line at all.