GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Shock Absorber Replacement

davserbic

Ready to race!
I am thinking the Koni STR Orange (non-adjustable). Any comments on that?

Ive never owned any Koni products so I have on idea.

But if you're THAT close to doing the replacement, might as well get coilovers :happyanim::thumbup:

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
Ive never owned any Koni products so I have on idea.

But if you're THAT close to doing the replacement, might as well get coilovers :happyanim::thumbup:

I wish I could. I cannot afford them in my current financial situation :cry: haha. Right now it is more of a necessity than anything to me.

davserbic

Ready to race!
I wish I could. I cannot afford them in my current financial situation :cry: haha. Right now it is more of a necessity than anything to me.

Ride it out until you have the cash. Or in your case.. bounce it out. :thumbsup:

There is a set of UltraLows for sale for like $750 which has amazing adjustability.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If you have a problem with the roads where you're at being so bad that you're prematurely breaking the OEM shocks, you certainly do not want to go with a cheap coilover. I would go so far as to completely advise against pretty much any coilover in that situation.

Your cheapest possible option is to order the two blown shocks, OEM, from some place online and install it yourself (check ECS, on sale right now). If you want a durability upgrade I'd go with a set of Bilstein HDs.

You also don't want to run a mismatched set. So don't buy aftermarket Konis for the rear and run stock up front.

davserbic

Ready to race!
If you have a problem with the roads where you're at being so bad that you're prematurely breaking the OEM shocks, you certainly do not want to go with a cheap coilover. I would go so far as to completely advise against pretty much any coilover in that situation.

Your cheapest possible option is to order the two blown shocks, OEM, from some place online and install it yourself (check ECS, on sale right now). If you want a durability upgrade I'd go with a set of Bilstein HDs.

You also don't want to run a mismatched set. So don't buy aftermarket Konis for the rear and run stock up front.

Hence why its smarter to invest in a full set of coilovers.. replace fronts and rears all at the same time. Ride em high if you want to but you have the OPTION to adjust whenever you want to later down the road. :fighting0030:

If not.. then go to RockAuto.com and buy solid aftermarket OEM replacement for $72.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks for the suggestion. I am not planning on taking the springs out and lowering them.
I was looking at the heavy duty shock from Bilstein, and also the Koni Yellow/Orange sport shock. Any feedback about them is appreciated.

These fit the bill for you....OEM replacements (made by Bilstein) for cheap:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Shocks/Rear/ES2724021/

But the Koni STr.T's are a great deal & decent shock too, for a few more bucks:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Shocks/Rear/ES2525693/

The Yellows are really nice, but probably overkill for just OEM springs (and you still have your worn out/wearing down front struts still)

You have to remove the springs to get to the lower shock bolt btw.

If you need help, I can swap them for out you for $50. I'm in Livonia
Will take less than an hour :thumbsup:

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
These fit the bill for you....OEM replacements (made by Bilstein) for cheap:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Shocks/Rear/ES2724021/

But the Koni STr.T's are a great deal & decent shock too, for a few more bucks:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Shocks/Rear/ES2525693/

The Yellows are really nice, but probably overkill for just OEM springs (and you still have your worn out/wearing down front struts still)

You have to remove the springs to get to the lower shock bolt btw.

If you need help, I can swap them for out you for $50. I'm in Livonia
Will take less than an hour :thumbsup:

Are you sure I have to remove the springs to get to the lower shock bolt? Isn't there enough clearance just to fit a wrench in between there?

joeeee

Ready to race!
The bolt holding in the lower shock is very long, it won't pull out entirely if you do not remove the spring.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
What he said

Are you sure I have to remove the springs to get to the lower shock bolt? Isn't there enough clearance just to fit a wrench in between there?

I mean you can try, but it'll be trickier with it still in there for sure

It's only 1 nut & 1 bolt, on the LCA, to pop out the spring. Takes < 2 minutes

Whatever floats your boat though

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Hello fellow Michiganders!! I'm up in Oakland County and am also riding with blown front struts. In my research I found koni yellows to pair nicely with OE springs when set 1 full turn from the softest setting. I have a decent budget and heard great things about koni yellows and wanted to stiffen my ride up just a tad. I considered the oranges but heard better things about the yellows. I did look at the billstein HD shocks but don't want to spend that much. Let me know what you ended up going with. I'd also like to meet you guys. I have no VW frands!

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
If ride quality isn’t bad yet run them till they die and create a savings plan for he others in the meantime.

Check out Rock Auto as well. They have lots of options and pricing levels usually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Total necropost here but the site says this doesn't fit a MK6 GTI?
I had those on my car previously - same part #. Bilstein warranty replaced the rears after submitting a claim with full vehicle details.