GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump concerns

Acoolusername

Passed Driver's Ed
So after reading on here a lot it seems to be the water pumps constantly fail. Mine has not yet luckily. I want to be prepared if it does. I'm learning a lot from this forum but I'm a noob with this stuff. I want to know what the signs are. I'm guessing of course the fluid will be low under the hood. I drive an hour to work every day and wondered what would happen if the car overheated on the highway. Do you let it sit for a while before driving again? Is there a certain temp that you don't let it get past on the gauge?

Btw this forum is a gold mine for maintenance and repairs.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Just keep on eye on it, check the reservoir once in a while. Your low coolant light will go on if its leaking below min. Id keep a small bottle of G2 coolant(with distilled water) in the trunk just in case this happens you can top off. If you see leakage contact dealer for replacement.

ahard48

Ready to race!
I'm almost positive its all under warranty no matter what year. Mine was 2014 and started leaking and VW covered it all. If you have your VIN handy you can look it up at this site and will tell you:

http://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!

Acoolusername

Passed Driver's Ed
Just looked at that link. Mine doesn't say recall either :/ Either way what happens if your car over heats on the highway. Just poor more coolent/water mixture in ?

ahard48

Ready to race!
Just looked at that link. Mine doesn't say recall either :/ Either way what happens if your car over heats on the highway. Just poor more coolent/water mixture in ?

Yea I'm sure that's fine. I'd call dealer as well just to double check, I don't know why it doesn't mention water pump recalls...

Acoolusername

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea I'm sure that's fine. I'd call dealer as well just to double check, I don't know why it doesn't mention water pump recalls...

Okay thanks for the help! Also in your honest opinion what oil do you use in your changes. I thought about starting them myself wth the help of one of the stickies I saw on here. I've been taking my car to a local place for 60 bucks full synthetic. The forum shows that I would be paying more than that doing it myself.

ahard48

Ready to race!
As I was driving to work this morning I had a thought; I wonder if the recalls are not showing up if this is a "new to you" used car? If so the original owner may have had it replaced and therefore no longer a recall item. Still call and double check.

As for oil changes I have the dealer do it. I used to do them myself on my last car (Hyundai) but not for my VW.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Okay thanks for the help! Also in your honest opinion what oil do you use in your changes. I thought about starting them myself wth the help of one of the stickies I saw on here. I've been taking my car to a local place for 60 bucks full synthetic. The forum shows that I would be paying more than that doing it myself.

Mobil1 0w40. A jug at Walmart with filter/crush washer (from dealer or wherever online) will cost you $35-$40 out of pocket.

Acoolusername

Passed Driver's Ed
Mobil1 0w40. A jug at Walmart with filter/crush washer (from dealer or wherever online) will cost you $35-$40 out of pocket.

Hey thanks. I guess I'll go that route and do them myself then. That way I know what's being put in. I see in your sig you hit 100k miles. That's good news because I put a lot of miles on my car and I just got it. Im about to do the dreaded dsg oil change myself. Did you do yours every 40k?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I'm almost positive its all under warranty no matter what year.

WRONG. It is only covered if the VIN is on their list, which is obviously the size of a Post-it note pad.

OP, do yourself a favor and replace it yourself because I wouldn't trust those idiots at VW to do the work. It will leak again within 5K miles if they do.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Hey thanks. I guess I'll go that route and do them myself then. That way I know what's being put in. I see in your sig you hit 100k miles. That's good news because I put a lot of miles on my car and I just got it. Im about to do the dreaded dsg oil change myself. Did you do yours every 40k?

Mine is a MT, not DSG.

I'll say that if I did have a DSG, I'd probably err on the side of caution and do it more frequently. I'm also firmly in the oil change every 5K mile camp too.

kerp

Ready to race!
My '12 (CCTA) pumped failed a couple weeks ago. In the middle of classes so really had no time to DIY, unfortunately. Dropped it at mechanic, who has serviced my family's cars for decades. Not concerned about him trying to rip me off, I didn't get a quote until I had already dropped the car off.

I got a phone call around 1:30, after dropping the car off at 8:15. My jaw dropped when he told me. I called back 20 minutes later wanting to cancel the work, but the owner said they already started. He assured me they would do a good job and he it really put me in an uncomfortable position.

All in all, I was charged $692.20 in labor and $432.39 in parts for a grand total of $1,124.59. On top of that, my tuner quoted $653 out the door for the same job.

In addition, $82.60 for a fuel filter swap (I even provided the filter...) Yes, I know that's an easy one but figured it couldn't be too much since they were already under there. To top it off, they scratched my mint RSe12's in a few of the lug holes (had my brakes flushed too but didn't factor that into the numbers I posted).

I'm pretty bummed out, wanted to drop the car and not worry but this really ruined my weekend. Does this not sound a bit excessive to you guys?

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Are you f**kin' serious?!!! The parts alone should have only cost around $250. Replacing it takes about an hour, even with removal of the intake manifold.