GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leather headrest cosmetic facelift

riceburner

Autocross Champion
this is sick. just bought some of that thread so i can do the same to my door panels. Might try to see if there's a way to stitch around the gauge area of the dashboard :)

CadMan

Ready to race!
this is sick. just bought some of that thread so i can do the same to my door panels. Might try to see if there's a way to stitch around the gauge area of the dashboard :)

I wish you all the best if you are going to attempt that ordeal. Let me know how it goes for you.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
sadly i went ahead and bought leather doorpanels with this project in mind and turns out they have no stitch seam! it's one solid piece of leather. bummer, so really i have nothing to stitch unless i wanted to double up on the seat stitching or something

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
sadly i went ahead and bought leather doorpanels with this project in mind and turns out they have no stitch seam! it's one solid piece of leather. bummer, so really i have nothing to stitch unless i wanted to double up on the seat stitching or something

There is stitching on the factory OEM leather door panels, sounds like the ones you purchased are recovered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Getting bored and I like this mod for my autobahn. Not sure how far I will go with it as of yet.

I went around to Joanne's Fabrics and Michaels and did not like the look of the thread they had there. I even found the suggested Guterman color 156 and it looked off. All too thin and lacked the slightly glossy look of the OEM red thread and weave of the thread.

I went by an upholstery supply shop and they told me you want polyester thread as nylon will fade and wear more quickly. Also polyester bonded is what gives the slight sheen as it's intended for industrial sewing machines. So look for bonded polyester.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Getting bored and I like this mod for my autobahn. Not sure how far I will go with it as of yet.

I went around to Joanne's Fabrics and Michaels and did not like the look of the thread they had there. I even found the suggested Guterman color 156 and it looked off. All too thin and lacked the slightly glossy look of the OEM red thread and weave of the thread.

I went by an upholstery supply shop and they told me you want polyester thread as nylon will fade and wear more quickly. Also polyester bonded is what gives the slight sheen as it's intended for industrial sewing machines. So look for bonded polyester.

Gutermann do various threads (different thicknesses etc) in the same colour 156, the 30 metre rolls are thicker than the OP's choice and match the OEM thickness! The type I chose is polyester,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Did a little fit of two different threads. The top one being the Gutermann poly thread as shown in the picture from the post above. The bottom thread is using the upholstery thread from the spool I posted a picture or prior.

The thinner Gutermann thread was more difficult to work with as it twisted as I was pulling the thread through each loop and caused an uneven bunched look in some areas that may be apparent in some pictures. The upholstery thread I believe looks more OEM as it is thicker and was much easier to sew.

Sorry the photos are not the best. Still rocking an iPhone 5.

CadMan

Ready to race!
I wish I had that thread when I started my project years ago. :confused: Sell my baby tomorrow getting a Touareg. Lasted 10 plus years and 329,000km. Bittersweet day tomorrow.