GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hard Shifting Reverse and 1st gear!?

lamaface

Ready to race!
if there is any sort of leak, your brake fluid would be low and it could possibly be leaking out the tranny , you would have to look under your car to see it. there is a little hole and it could come out of there
Yeah I've looked underneath the car and no leaks whatsoever. The brakes are fine so the brake fluid should be good.

lamaface

Ready to race!
I had the same issue started out with only first the progressively got worse to the point it happened from first to all the way to fourth. It was a bad slave cylinder seems to be pretty common with the mk6. I got the whole clutch replaced and I'm only at 19k. Hope this helps.

So you're driving the car now and its normal?
Well 2 days ago shifting was really bad and then the next day the shifting got a little better. Then after I drove out of the dealer yesterday, all the gears went in perfect. Today the car is driving just great and no problems at all. I don't know what to think:iono:

Kyle805

Ready to race!
So I know this is quite a bump but figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. I'm having very stiff shifting as described here but it's into every gear. Once I'm moving though they go a little bit smoother but still quite notchy. The car was driving fine yesterday but then I parked it for maybe 4 hours then I come out to this last night. Anyway my question is can I drive it like this for a few days? I probably can't get it to the dealer until Tuesday.

Edit: when the car is off and I move it threw the gears it's nice and smooth..

Last edited:

Flipper

Passed Driver's Ed
So I know this is quite a bump but figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. I'm having very stiff shifting as described here but it's into every gear. Once I'm moving though they go a little bit smoother but still quite notchy. The car was driving fine yesterday but then I parked it for maybe 4 hours then I come out to this last night. Anyway my question is can I drive it like this for a few days? I probably can't get it to the dealer until Tuesday.

Edit: when the car is off and I move it threw the gears it's nice and smooth..
Same shit just happened to me. Shifts fine when car is off but when its on wont go into gear. Have to force it. 3rd is the easiest gear to get into, looks like its a trip to the dealer first thing n the mornin. 2nd gear cruisin! -______- all stock btw

Kyle805

Ready to race!
Same shit just happened to me. Shifts fine when car is off but when its on wont go into gear. Have to force it. 3rd is the easiest gear to get into, looks like its a trip to the dealer first thing n the mornin. 2nd gear cruisin! -______- all stock btw

I dropped mine off last night and they're going to check it out today. I'll report back as soon as they give me a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Kyle805

Ready to race!
Called back today, and it's covered under warranty. Turns out I had a defective spring and it was binding causing the notchyness. I asked if I could do an aftermarket disk while they were in there to save a few labor bucks they wouldn't let me.. Needless to say I'm happy as a clam I get a new clutch for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mercfh

Ready to race!
These clutch threads are quite scary for me (Since im learning on mine, but trying to take it as easy as possible). Hopefully it isn't as widespread as it seems.

I always keep my foot off the clutch when stopping, but dang...they seem rather weak. I think on my 30 day new car "inspection" I will mention this to the service peeps.

tunner2307

Ready to race!
Happened to me yesterday and it's getting worse. Hard to shift in any gear when the engine is running. Going to the dealer at Saturday, we'll see what they gonna say, I am little worry cuz I am at 47,xxx miles.
Anyone knows if the powertrain warranty will cover it?

tunner2307

Ready to race!
Happened to me yesterday and it's getting worse. Hard to shift in any gear when the engine is running. Going to the dealer at Saturday, we'll see what they gonna say, I am little worry cuz I am at 47,xxx miles.
Anyone knows if the powertrain warranty will cover it?

Problem solved, dealer replaced whole clutch assembly and flywheel under the powertrain warranty. :)

aeffertz

Passed Driver's Ed
Problem solved, dealer replaced whole clutch assembly and flywheel under the powertrain warranty. :)

Massive bump. Same shit at nearly the same miles. Heard a weird clicking one day and then shifting into reverse and first become very difficult and eventually eased up but it's not as smooth as it was in the past. I'm at roughly 47,000 miles too but did not do the extended warrantee. Did you by chance?

Really hoping I can get a new clutch for free!