GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty coverage on coolant system. Your experiences?

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Today my low coolant light came on with a loud beep and red flashing lights. Turns out the coolant reservoir was almost dry. I topped it off so I could get to work, but I seriously doubt that it will just go away. I've been through a water pump replacement before and it was a painless process, but I was also under the 36k B2B warranty.

What is everyone's experience dealing with the 5/60 powertrain warranty?
Will it cover water pumps?
Will it cover cracked radiators?
Head gaskets?

If this warranty doesn't cover what's wrong I am dumping the car next week. Everything VW has fixed has just broken again. Sunroof, clutch system, and now coolant system.

tunner2307

Ready to race!
Today my low coolant light came on with a loud beep and red flashing lights. Turns out the coolant reservoir was almost dry. I topped it off so I could get to work, but I seriously doubt that it will just go away. I've been through a water pump replacement before and it was a painless process, but I was also under the 36k B2B warranty.

What is everyone's experience dealing with the 5/60 powertrain warranty?
Will it cover water pumps?
Will it cover cracked radiators?
Head gaskets?

If this warranty doesn't cover what's wrong I am dumping the car next week. Everything VW has fixed has just broken again. Sunroof, clutch system, and now coolant system.

I had mine replaced under powertrain warranty, at 42k miles. No question asked by the dealer.
Good luck!

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I had mine replaced under powertrain warranty, at 42k miles. No question asked by the dealer.

Good luck!

Water pump I'm assuming? That's reassuring.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
when i was getting my clutch installed i was inquiring about the price to install a water pump and they looked up my vin number to see if my car fell under the water pump recall. i didnt but its good that they thought to check. they quoted me $1000 to install waterpump including parts. i bought a water pump kit from ecstuning for when i need it. im 60k miles on original pump.

bequietanddrive

Ready to race!
when i was getting my clutch installed i was inquiring about the price to install a water pump and they looked up my vin number to see if my car fell under the water pump recall. i didnt but its good that they thought to check. they quoted me $1000 to install waterpump including parts. i bought a water pump kit from ecstuning for when i need it. im 60k miles on original pump.

Holy cow, 1k sounds insanely overpriced for a water pump. I've generally seen most people quote something around 500-600. That's nuts.

zrickety

The Fixer
I did my own pump in the $220 range, not as terrible as I thought. They should cover it until 60k, and 1 yr/12k from the previous install.