GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

tire recommendation for track

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I guess I need warm weather to appreciate them - i put them on and its way too cold right now, lol.. and they are loud as HELL. At least you guys live in very warm climates! :)

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Lol i never notice how harsh the GTI is on the 18" wrapped in summer tires wheels and somehow stiff suspension...until i sit in my friend's '09 Accord coupe :)

I love feeling the road when i am driving, i felt so unconnected when i drove the accord.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
I'm definitely keeping a set of non-track wheels/tires, and I think because I don't like going nuts off the track, a set of Conti DWS on Detroits would be more than fine for me. I can't make Willow Springs next week unfortunately, but I'm definitely looking forward to getting some track time in this year.

Cannon03

Ready to race!
I have the Nitto NT-05 as my track only tire and love them. The grip is great and when they do break, it's progressive. Wear seems to be good too. I haven't tried any of the other tires but I've heard some great things about the star specs as well.

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec - I've had them on an M3 and the GTI. For a street tire, they are very good on the track--good durability, feel, and warning. On the street, they are a bit hard and loud but that is the price you pay...

BK_CSG

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in the same position right now. I'm shopping for a street/track tire. Actually, more like track wheels that I can throw on at home and drive to the track with. The last tires I had were Potenza RE-01R's, and they were a fantastic tire.

The Star Spec's are high on the list, but the 'Kook R-S3's are cheaper and also very sticky. Gotta do some research on this one.

Aridi03

Ready to race!
RS-3 just cuz i like em the best..

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
The Michelin pilot Super sport are now the best for track period. Im gonna order them soon. Same price that the Michelin Ps2 with better treadwear, more quiet and as grippy.

For the best price combo daily/track with best comfort and good treadwear, my bet are for the Continental Extremecontact DW.

staynhome29

Ready to race!
I'm in the same position right now. I'm shopping for a street/track tire. Actually, more like track wheels that I can throw on at home and drive to the track with. The last tires I had were Potenza RE-01R's, and they were a fantastic tire.

The Star Spec's are high on the list, but the 'Kook R-S3's are cheaper and also very sticky. Gotta do some research on this one.

I drove a E46 M3 with the R-S3. A great tire. Weak sidewall compared to Starspecs. Handles heat better than Starspecs and I'd have to say very slightly better grip but due to the softer tire, you're going to have to run negative camber or you will be running on your sidewall all day. (in a track/autox environment.) Also they were like 50% tread after 2 events.

The turn in response on the Hankooks were not as good as Starspecs. Starspecs were more predictable. I'd still give edge to Starspecs. Both are fantastic.

Obviously not the best review since the two tires were on 2 different cars but nonetheless, based on what my personal feedback, I'd stick with Starspecs, especially for the money.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18667

Was done on Star Specs - GREAT tire, no issues for me at this point.

ms3brendan

Ready to race!
Have always used star specs.. but I am ordering Nitto NT05s soon because I can get 'em for pretty cheap shipped on eBay new.. first time trying something new.. Hopefully they're good too.

BK_CSG

Passed Driver's Ed
I just noticed that TTR has an $80.00 mail-in rebate on the Star Specs. The 'Kooks are still cheaper in the size I want (245-40-17), but only by a difference of $32 with the rebate.

Hmmmmmm....... do I go tried-and-true Dunlops, or the newer Hankooks? What a dilemma!

ms3brendan

Ready to race!
I just noticed that TTR has an $80.00 mail-in rebate on the Star Specs. The 'Kooks are still cheaper in the size I want (245-40-17), but only by a difference of $32 with the rebate.

Hmmmmmm....... do I go tried-and-true Dunlops, or the newer Hankooks? What a dilemma!

Star Specs. The other look like they could possibly be better in the rain though lol.

BK_CSG

Passed Driver's Ed
Star Specs. The other look like they could possibly be better in the rain though lol.

Yeah, now I'm leaning back over to the Star Specs...

I don't think either tire is a bad choice, I just have to choose!