GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

your input on the 6speed manual trans

JerseyGTI1

Ready to race!
hmmm. so far sounds like im shitty ha. i baby my cars tho. i dont hold the shifter when driving,(ur not supposed to, so theres no lying pressure on it) i pretty much feather them into gear with my palm or light of the fingers,(another technique i read a while back from race car drivers or somethin).

so other than that, my trans is shitty??? I know the stock mounts are horrible, allowing lots of movement at certain rpms. but overall, sounds like yours are fine, mine is not :( so far tho ha

I've heard somewhere that there are also proper ways to holding your hand when shifting. When shifting into third someone taught me that you should use the palm of your hand and not hold it like a baseball or and aircraft pilot lever. Try that out maybe

robbop111

Ready to race!
I've heard somewhere that there are also proper ways to holding your hand when shifting. When shifting into third someone taught me that you should use the palm of your hand and not hold it like a baseball or and aircraft pilot lever. Try that out maybe

yes, ive learned this to. not working so far haha. but ill keep trying. ive even used a feather in the palm of my hand as well.(kidding)

JerseyGTI1

Ready to race!
well I've only noticed only a discomfort feeling only when the trans fluid is still not at proper temperature. Once is warmed up its good.

swh50

My only complaint is the 1-2 shift if the car is cold soaked below freezing. It always crunches for the first few minutes. Double clutching will prevent it. After that it is very nice. I griped to the dealer about the crunch and they said "Maybe you should let it warm up." Duh. It strikes me as odd that none of my American high or "normal" performance cars, different brands, has ever had this shift issue, but my two foreign hipo cars, different brands, has each had the same 1-2 crunch when cold and no dealer admission of poor operation.

Walter2

Ready to race!
Can someone explain/define what "notchy" is? I find the car has a good clutch, but it isn't as smooth as I would like it to be. 1st -> 2nd, 2nd -3rd, 3rd -> 4th all seem to be awkward I guess. I dont know. hard to explain.

r56mcs

Ready to race!
This is my second VW manual tranny car and I thought all VW tranny were smooth. My NC Miata was a bitch when cold. It won't even go into 2nd gear when it is cold. Mini Cooper was good too but I like GTI tranny the best.

gti11561

Update i got my car back on friday they put in a brand new tranny and clutch she runs just like the day i took her home for the 1st time. I'm just glad i have my baby back two weeks without her was way too long....

robbop111

Ready to race!
Update i got my car back on friday they put in a brand new tranny and clutch she runs just like the day i took her home for the 1st time. I'm just glad i have my baby back two weeks without her was way too long....

wow. amazing. congrats on the new trans. let us know if it get stupid again.

and did you ever find out what exactly was your dealers diagnostic????(if thats the right word) what happened that they felt they should replace the whole trans? lucky

robbop111

Ready to race!
My only complaint is the 1-2 shift if the car is cold soaked below freezing. It always crunches for the first few minutes. Double clutching will prevent it. After that it is very nice. I griped to the dealer about the crunch and they said "Maybe you should let it warm up." Duh. It strikes me as odd that none of my American high or "normal" performance cars, different brands, has ever had this shift issue, but my two foreign hipo cars, different brands, has each had the same 1-2 crunch when cold and no dealer admission of poor operation.

i totally feel you on this one. of course when cold, its pretty damn notchy, all the way up to 4th usaully. trans takes a while to warm up. everyone at my service department told me im anal and its me and that the trans is fine. i told them to blow me. and if a problem happens later on, ill say told ya so.

robbop111

Ready to race!
okay a year later, and i learned this car sucks when cold and anything below 70 degrees(Shifting that is). trans takes a loooooooong time to warm up. also, i baby my car and it feels like theres no clutch/ its making a wierd rumble noise when i engadge it into first. that is all.......