GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear main seal thoughts

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
I just finished my timing chain tensioner crap and now I'm seeing a leak from the transmission side of things. I jacked the car up and saw oil on the down pipe, so maybe turbo but 1 photo makes me think seal. At the bottom of the mounting point in the transmission and engine, the weep hole, it's dry on both sides but has a oil drip coming out of it.

Also, I can't imagine a rear main seal will cause an oil leak at the top of the transmission ( that photo is super hard to see but trust me there is a puddle).

Any ideas? I can keep adding oil as needed but I need this fixed by January and I ain't taking it to a mechanic for something as simple as taking the transmission out

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
could this be a bad turbo and it leaking out the hot side and dripping down. looking at the weep hole, i dont see oil up in it

zrickety

The Fixer
We did the rear main on my buddy's car 2 days ago, you can knock it out in half a day. I would get the iAbed billet upgrade with a REAL seal, it's worth the extra bucks. When you see the factory main seal it's so thin and flimsy...it's a joke.

It looks pretty dry in your pics, if you have DSG you might want to check the o-ring on the trans filter...I've seen that leak before. Would be a good time to just replace it.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
We did the rear main on my buddy's car 2 days ago, you can knock it out in half a day. I would get the iAbed billet upgrade with a REAL seal, it's worth the extra bucks. When you see the factory main seal it's so thin and flimsy...it's a joke.

It looks pretty dry in your pics, if you have DSG you might want to check the o-ring on the trans filter...I've seen that leak before. Would be a good time to just replace it.

Okay. I'll look tonight. Did your friend's car have oil on the turbo? Maybe it's 2 leaks, that o-ring or main seal, and maybe turbo. It smells like burning oil bad when I drive it. I don't see a lot of smoke out the exhaust though

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
took some dish soap and water and sprayed the engine down good and came back and it is for sure coming from in between the engine and trans. so ill start tearing into it soon. idk why i didnt think it do that in the first place but here we are. i just dont see how a rear main can splash oil out the side of the engine like that but tbh im not big on car mechanics. im a helicopter mech, not auto.

zrickety

The Fixer
The flywheel spinning can spray that oil everywhere...if it hits the exhaust, there's your smell. My buddy's car was pretty wet underneath, he was adding a quart every 3 weeks. Left a fair sized puddle on the ground when parked. I've read where guys have the dealer change the seal and it leaks a couple months later, definitely get the billet part.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
The flywheel spinning can spray that oil everywhere...if it hits the exhaust, there's your smell. My buddy's car was pretty wet underneath, he was adding a quart every 3 weeks. Left a fair sized puddle on the ground when parked. I've read where guys have the dealer change the seal and it leaks a couple months later, definitely get the billet part.
A bad PCV valve (among other things) can cause the crankcase to pressurize and blow the RMS out. If the RMS is replaced but the PCV isn't....guess what happens? RMS blows out again.

Apparently the newest OEM revision of the RMS has the seal inverted so that crankcase pressure will press the seal onto the crankshaft harder rather than blowing out. I like to overdo things so instead of using the newest OEM revision of the RMS I opted for the iAbed billet RMS as a preventative measure when I replaced my clutch. If interested check out the link in my signature for pics and info on installation of the iAbed billet RMS.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Are you dsg or manny? When my rms took a crap my clutch started slipping on manual. Not sure it would have save issue on dsg but me thinks not. There was oil everywhere..

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed

canceled my order of the stock one and bought the billet one... for a little more, might as well

A bad PCV valve (among other things) can cause the crankcase to pressurize and blow the RMS out. If the RMS is replaced but the PCV isn't....guess what happens? RMS blows out again.

Apparently the newest OEM revision of the RMS has the seal inverted so that crankcase pressure will press the seal onto the crankshaft harder rather than blowing out. I like to overdo things so instead of using the newest OEM revision of the RMS I opted for the iAbed billet RMS as a preventative measure when I replaced my clutch. If interested check out the link in my signature for pics and info on installation of the iAbed billet RMS.

ill probably buy a catch can when i get home from korea next year. on my old gti, i had a catch can freeze on me because i got lazy and didnt empty it... i know my wife wont do it while im away

Are you dsg or manny? When my rms took a crap my clutch started slipping on manual. Not sure it would have save issue on dsg but me thinks not. There was oil everywhere..

i have a dsg, ill be sure to spray the crap out of the flywheel with brake cleaner just in case :thumbsup:

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
cracked the transmission away from the engine and oil came out... for sure rms. had to stop before dropping the trans but i think i for sure need to take my drivers side axle out. tried for like an hour to get the trans to drop but nothing. have it being held up with straps till i can get back to it tomorrow. trans in my old mk5 gti came out way easier but maybe we took the axle out... been a few years

zrickety

The Fixer
Don't know about DSG, but we pulled both axles and subframe when we did it. Passenger side axle hub(?) on the transmission had to come off too. More clearance the better.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know about DSG, but we pulled both axles and subframe when we did it. Passenger side axle hub(?) on the transmission had to come off too. More clearance the better.

Passenger side is definitely not an issue on dsg. Mine is already out of the way and I have a strap on the engine to pull it forward enough to clear the subframe. I've heard of using the factory jack and using it to push the engine block away from the subframe but I don't like that idea as much. I'm going to have to buy a new axle bolt and 24mm 12point socket for the axle but oh well. Just add to the collection this car is making me buy

zrickety

The Fixer
Buy the socket, but I think you can skip the bolt. They are pretty stout, my 2 cents.

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Buy the socket, but I think you can skip the bolt. They are pretty stout, my 2 cents.

I was going to do that... Reusing the flywheel bolts, just using red locktight. I read a thread about a guy who didn't replace his axle bolt and the wheel came off. So with me going to Korea for 6mons soon, I'd rather the case be safe to drive for my wife. They have them on Amazon for $8.

On another not, does the dsg clutches need aligned when reinstalling like a manual? Might need to buy that tool too if so ha