GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TOB-Throw Out Bearing Squeal Video Clip

blue2turbo

Ready to race!
I'll try to scan mine for you. It's only the clutch disk and pressure plate though, they left the TOB because the TSB says the noise comes from bad springs on the clutch disk. I wasn't going to push a free clutch replacement, and if the noise comes back, I'll discuss the TOB with them. Still, they replaced mine no questions asked once I gave them the TSB number.

That would be awesome, even if they offer to do that, I will purchase the new updated TOB if I have to and have them install if they put in the clutch.

I'm still waiting for a call from the regional VWoA rep or the dealer to let me know what is going on.

Thanks!

blue2turbo

Ready to race!
So after a week, all parties are declining everything. VWoA is declining saying that since I recently purchased the car used, they don't know the service history, and I'm outside my 3 year warranty by 3 months (even though still under 30k miles), etc. so they won't cover it out of good will. The VW dealership is playing dumb and saying its not covered at all by powertrain warranty, or anything like that. My "extended warranty," which I now view as useless and will cancel and just get one through the VW Dealership in PA on this board, is denying all coverage. And even though I complained about the problem when the car was getting the intake manifold replaced (a week after I bought it), since the service manager at VW said the "screeching could have been related to the injectors they replaced also (which we all know is bs)" they didn't document it, so the dealer I bought it from is saying they won't do anything because I've had the car for 2 months and their 3 month, 3k miles used car warranty doesn't cover the clutch.

So it looks like I'm screwed at this point and juse have to drive it till the clutch eventually fails and replace it then... which that thought makes me beyond pissed off to say the least... but I'm not paying the dealer $1500 dollars to fix it after I just bought the car.

If anyone knows of any dealers in the Mid Atlantic area that are aware of the problem and may fix the issue without all this trouble, please let me know. I will drive it if necessary elsewhere.

Ilyaamex

Passed Driver's Ed
So after a week, all parties are declining everything. VWoA is declining saying that since I recently purchased the car used, they don't know the service history, and I'm outside my 3 year warranty by 3 months (even though still under 30k miles), etc. so they won't cover it out of good will. The VW dealership is playing dumb and saying its not covered at all by powertrain warranty, or anything like that. My "extended warranty," which I now view as useless and will cancel and just get one through the VW Dealership in PA on this board, is denying all coverage. And even though I complained about the problem when the car was getting the intake manifold replaced (a week after I bought it), since the service manager at VW said the "screeching could have been related to the injectors they replaced also (which we all know is bs)" they didn't document it, so the dealer I bought it from is saying they won't do anything because I've had the car for 2 months and their 3 month, 3k miles used car warranty doesn't cover the clutch.

So it looks like I'm screwed at this point and juse have to drive it till the clutch eventually fails and replace it then... which that thought makes me beyond pissed off to say the least... but I'm not paying the dealer $1500 dollars to fix it after I just bought the car.

If anyone knows of any dealers in the Mid Atlantic area that are aware of the problem and may fix the issue without all this trouble, please let me know. I will drive it if necessary elsewhere.

Push VWoA to escalate your case, get their regional rep to come out and evaluate your car. Is the clutch housing out and opened yet?

3ics

Ready to race!
I join the list of TOB victims. I brought my car to two dealers and both said they could not replicate the issue and would not do anything without the issue being "obvious". I brought the TSB they repeated my previous comment. Call VWOA and they supported the dealer. It's frustrating and upsetting.

Since it is not as cold lately, I noticed when I let the car sit for a few days, the noise is immediate. I think I am going to tell the dealer I want to leave it there and for them to drive it after it sits.

allset

Go Kart Champion

u still should be covered under the 50k drive train warranty. dont give up.

blue2turbo

Ready to race!
Push VWoA to escalate your case, get their regional rep to come out and evaluate your car. Is the clutch housing out and opened yet?

Problem is, they wouldn't give me the option of opening it and checking for actual fault with the parts... if I authorized work it was to pay the entire 1500 and order the clutch kit, tob, etc.

VWoA wouldn't do anything because of the timeframe since I bought the car. Because it was so recent, they refused all help, I tried to explain everything to them, and I kept getting hit with, we won't do it on "good will" you need the dealer that sold the car to help.

I'm still pushing at the dealer and the local VW dealer, but I may have to wait until I get a dealer that I know is familiar with the issue and bring it to them. I couldn't let them just keep my car any longer, trying to get around with no car was killing me.

So I will wait till this winter or start of next year when the car starts doing it more frequently and try another local dealer or travel if I have to. I will update again when I talk to the dealership I bought it from more.

mark1

Passed Driver's Ed
Never got around to posting my story. I took it in at ~47K miles; came prepared with video of noise (made on cellphone) and TSB. We duplicated the noise while driving. Good so far. Dealer said it could be TOB as in the TSB or could be clutch, but they needed a full breakdown to determine. We scheduled a service appointment, and I was told that if it wasn't a part covered by warranty, I would have to pay the diagnostic fee and repairs. I expected that much and agreed.

They spent about three hours on my car and came back, saying that

1. I need a new clutch assembly
2. I "might" need a new flywheel
3. While they were testing it, the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor and they can't get it up - the slave cylinder malfunctioned, and now I can't drive it until I replace it.

The total comes to about $2,700.

I told them to stop everything and didn't authorize them to work more until I found out what was going to be covered. They said none of it was covered under powertrain warranty (and that they weren't paying for any part of the slave cylinder because that was just a random coincidence). I argued about the TSB and (unrelated) the slave cylinder. Nothing changed; nothing was under warranty and they weren't paying for anything.

I called VWoA and argued to three people: 1st customer service rep., regional manager, field manager (IIRC these were their titles). This took about 7 days for VWoA to send my complaint up the chain, have those people review and call me back, and for someone to look at the problem/talk to the dealer.

I had to fight/argue with every person I spoke to. Each one declined coverage. The TSB was helpful. Even though they said there were other issues, they couldn't deny putting this exact problem on the TSB and saying there were ##### effected cars in a specific VIN range (i.e. How is that common wear when you documented this problem is caused by faulty parts?).

Finally VWoA said they would pay for parts and labor on everything! They replaced clutch assembly, flywheel (did need), and slave cylinder. Dealer had my car for a total of ~15 days. The invoice they gave me was very general and just listed work done, not parts numbers, etc. I didn't want to stay and get more detail; I was tired of dealing with them so I just left.

Clutch feels good and no noise for 30+ days now.

Thanks everyone for encouraging stories that it can be done. But be ready with a thick skin and assertiveness if going this route.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
is part # (0A5141671F) still the latest? i have the plastic one that came with my sb daily kit but hesitant to use it. i cant locate the part number on this thing either. i think i will be picking the metal one up instead.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Latest version part # (0A5141671F)

AFAIK it is the latest.

DONT use the 2 piece plastic one. VW may have had another revision but i havent hheard of it. I know CM ships that part number/metal TOB with its kits

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
alright thanks. just ordered this if anyone is wondering. http://www.europaparts.com/clutch-slave-cylinder-assembly-0a5141671f.html

this is the tob i opted NOT to use.

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion

allset

Go Kart Champion

Twistedgti

Ready to race!
Add my name to the list. I went in for the tob and other problems as well (see http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63021). Basically then identified it as a tob problem but that was at the end of the day which gave me time to research and I found this posting. I printed out the tsb, the invoices, and approx 2/3 of the entire topic (stack of the 200 pages), went in on saturday and was told its the tob and its not covered. I said im glad you admit its the tob, i dropped the stack of papers on the advisors desk and handed him the tsb and said heres your info to get started on fixing it. They called me monday amd said they still wont cover it cuz a tsb is a guideline not an order. Demanded to speak with the manager when I informed his that I would rather handle this like gentlemen and be done with the whole mess. He said we wont cover it and I could call VWoA if I wanted. I said I would and that I would be informing the forums of their behavior, good or bad, drafting a letter to all the local news outlets, and randomly stopping by to inform the sales customers of the situation and their lack of customer service and refusal to fix a known problem. He said to call vwoa and get them to get involved and hurried off the phone. Called VWoA and told them the same thing. I guess a little hard ball went a long way.

@blue2turbo. Play hardball like I did and it may get resolved quickly. Ill pick up my car on friday and itll have been 7.5 days from start to finish

allset

Go Kart Champion
Add my name to the list. I went in for the tob and other problems as well (see http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63021). Basically then identified it as a tob problem but that was at the end of the day which gave me time to research and I found this posting. I printed out the tsb, the invoices, and approx 2/3 of the entire topic (stack of the 200 pages), went in on saturday and was told its the tob and its not covered. I said im glad you admit its the tob, i dropped the stack of papers on the advisors desk and handed him the tsb and said heres your info to get started on fixing it. They called me monday amd said they still wont cover it cuz a tsb is a guideline not an order. Demanded to speak with the manager when I informed his that I would rather handle this like gentlemen and be done with the whole mess. He said we wont cover it and I could call VWoA if I wanted. I said I would and that I would be informing the forums of their behavior, good or bad, drafting a letter to all the local news outlets, and randomly stopping by to inform the sales customers of the situation and their lack of customer service and refusal to fix a known problem. He said to call vwoa and get them to get involved and hurried off the phone. Called VWoA and told them the same thing. I guess a little hard ball went a long way.

@blue2turbo. Play hardball like I did and it may get resolved quickly. Ill pick up my car on friday and itll have been 7.5 days from start to finish

heard this story over and over since i started this thread. Keep at it and reference the other dealers who covered it to VWOA. ask them why they changed the design of the TOB from 2 to 1 piece slave shaft if there was no issue?