GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intern looking for room in Silicon Valley

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Hey sorry for jacking this forum. I'm a Masshole looking for a room from June to early August in the Mountain View area. I thought I would reach out to my fellow GTI brothers (and sisters?) to see if they have any leads. From searching endlessly without luck on craigslist, I get the impression that everyone in Silicon Valley has a massive, rough, burning hot stick waaaaaay up there ass. I thought people from California were supposed to be chill? I'm from central Mass, we are some of the angriest, uptight people in the world but that's seemingly nothing compared to the people renting rooms out there.

Again, my apologies for the rant/cry for help.

Last edited:

Locke

Ready to race!
Best of luck with the search man. I grew up in Mountain View, and it sounds like you've just stumbled upon some rotten eggs. Most people in the south bay are cool- keep searching til ya find em.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Haha thanks. I hope my impressions change when I get there. I'll be driving out there so at least I'll have my friend GTI

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Honestly I wouldn't care if I did but my job wants me to dress nice everyday :thumbdown:

I might actually be getting a house sitting gig which would make me the luckiest MoFo in the area. Free house for watching some cats. If I don't get it then I'm getting a room by the beach in Half Moon Bay and commuting FTW!

Rock Strongo1

Ready to race!
When I worked in Mt. View one guy came in from Santa Cruz every day. Took him an hour if he was lucky, 3 if he wasn't.

Just don't live in East Palo Alto.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Thanks! Keep the info coming. Do you think it would be a similar situation coming from Half Moon Bay? At the very least it looks like a nice drive and would be better than sitting in traffic on the highway. Why not East Palo Alto? I'm working for NASA at Moffett Field and that looks really close and I'd be commuting in the opposite direction of the traffic.... I think

Locke

Ready to race!
I'm not sure with traffic in the Bay, I know it's gotten worse over the past 10 years. Sweet set up with NASA! Off the top of my head, commuting from Half Moon Bay would be rough. And East Palo Alto is getting better, but it's pretty ghetto. Used to be real bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avant

Ready to race!
Congrats on the internship, what field are you going to be working in?

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Hey thanks a lot! I dropped out of high school, worked my way through college, now I'm a geographer. I use data from satellites to try and learn cool stuff about the Earth. Its been a great year, upgraded from a jetta to a GTI, got an awesome job at my current school that's taken me to Denver and on a month long trip to Asia, went stage 2, about to get my master's, drive cross country for in internship in California with NASA and then drive, camp and hike my way to Vancouver to start a PhD in the fall! So i'll be jacking the Canada forum next!

A guy contacted me about watching his house, cats and chickens in Mountain View for five weeks. Free house and then I get the room for the rest of the summer for $650! Luck is like a pendulum, its swung pretty far in one direction. I sometimes wonder when its going to swing the other way...

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Sounds awesome buddy! You will love it out here except for our extreme winters when it hits low 60's... :laugh:

Moffet is easy to hit from several locations, only issue is a few freeways merge in the area so sometimes it can take a few extra minutes. Half Moon Bay isn't as close though, don't recommend that.

Area's within a 30 minute commute would be

Sunnyvale
Santa Clara
Cupertino
Mountain View
Palo Alto (Not east Palo Alto)
Atherton
Menlo Park

In all honesty, these are cities is the upper price range. Sunnyvale/Santa Clara lower range (barely) but nice areas.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Hey Hey! I forgot to mention I got a house sitting gig in Mountain View only 2 miles from Moffett and 2 blocks off Castro St. I get the house all to myself for the first five weeks just for watching some cats and chickens. When the retired couple gets home from their vacation I get to keep the room (with private bathroom) for the rest of the summer for only $650!!! Looking at what to buy next for the GTI with all that money I'll be saving.

I've been looking at the roads outside of town on Google street view. So pumped for driving out there, the roads look like so much fun!

Avant

Ready to race!
Wow man your life sounds crazy right now with all the travelling! Keep that shit up! Awesome that you're down for change to pursue higher learning, it'll pay off man.

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Hey Hey! I forgot to mention I got a house sitting gig in Mountain View only 2 miles from Moffett and 2 blocks off Castro St. I get the house all to myself for the first five weeks just for watching some cats and chickens. When the retired couple gets home from their vacation I get to keep the room (with private bathroom) for the rest of the summer for only $650!!! Looking at what to buy next for the GTI with all that money I'll be saving.

I've been looking at the roads outside of town on Google street view. So pumped for driving out there, the roads look like so much fun!

Good to hear. We have a lot of miles of road which are fun to drive. Close you will be HWY 9, HWY 84, and HWY 35 (not many turns). 9 and 84 will take you to endless amounts of small tight roads. Be cautious of Bicyclist and Motorcyclist though and they are everywhere and will pass you or be in the middle of the road around the next turn just cruising.