GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aluminum Passat / Tiguan / TT rear spindles installed

red_stapler

Ready to race!
In what turned out to be a bigger adventure than I expected, I finally have my aluminum rear spindles installed. I ended up not taking as many pictures as I would have liked. Fully dressed, these will save about 3lbs per corner. They also act like an 8mm wheel spacer.

Front Wheel Drive applications where you can find these:

2007-2014 Audi TT
2007-2016 VW EOS
2006-2010 VW Passat B6
2009-2016 VW CC
2008-2016 VW Tiguan

Stuff you need:
3C0505435F - Left Rear Spindle (3C0505433K appears to be the current part number)
3C0505436F - Right Rear Spindle (3C0505434K)
4x N10628401 - Hex Bolt - M12x1.5x40 (replaces original trailing arm to spindle bolts)
4x N91076701 - Hex Bolt - M14x1.5x115 (replaces original upper and lower control arm bolts)

Fresh wheel bearings:
2x 3G0598611A Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly With Hub 32MM

If you buy the hubs without a wheel bearing installed, you will need:
2x WHT000412 - Hub Assembly Washer

Stuff that went wrong along the way:
  • The first set of spindles I bought needed replacement wheel bearings. They were impossible to remove and I ended up cracking the housing once I got to a sufficient level of violence.
  • The second set of spindles were bare, and so I installed one of the new wheel bearings without the hub washer, so there was a ton of play with the shoulder bolt torqued down. The plastic ABS ring is on the back side of the bearing seal, and without the washer, the ABS sensor damaged it.
  • I broke one of the ABS sensors trying to remove it from the old spindle. Give it a shot of penetrating oil if you can.

Installed:

You really do get about 8mm of poke per side. My detroit is pretty much flush with the fender now:

*I'll probably edit this with info on tools needed and notes on disassembly.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
awesome, thanks for sharing!

drakore

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if there is any value changing the rear spindles on a MK6R? Could I use the spindles from the AWD equivalent from the cars listed in the original post?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know if there is any value changing the rear spindles on a MK6R? Could I use the spindles from the AWD equivalent from the cars listed in the original post?

I believe you already have aluminium spindles :)

TimS

Go Kart Newbie

The R already has aluminum rear spindles.

zrickety

The Fixer
Will these push out the wheel base further?

As the OP mentioned, these do push the rear wheels out 8-10mm per side. Track width is larger but overall wheel base (front to back) will remain the same. I bought used spindles and new bolts, everything bolted on without any drama. Running 18x8 et45 with DG springs I do get some rub on hard bumps, but it has not been bad. Stock wheels/stock springs should have plenty of clearance.
I'll be selling my setup this fall if anyone is interested, pm me.

drakore

Ready to race!
The R already has aluminum rear spindles.
I should probably add some context. I'm going to be doing an AWD swap on my MK6 GTI. So instead of buying R spindles I was thinking I could buy an AWD version of the spindles the OP listed and take advantage of the wider wheel base. Unless someone can think of a reason that I should or if they think they won't bolt up.

I'm going to be doing the TT front swap as well.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
I should probably add some context. I'm going to be doing an AWD swap on my MK6 GTI. So instead of buying R spindles I was thinking I could buy an AWD version of the spindles the OP listed and take advantage of the wider wheel base. Unless someone can think of a reason that I should or if they think they won't bolt up.

I am doing TT control arms/balljoints and passta spindles. I have an extra set of passat crontrol ams and rear spindles with hubs and hardware for sale if anyone is interested.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie

10mm spacers are cheaper and easier.