GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Noodle1

Ready to race!
my build date is exactly 9/12, do I have the updated tensioner?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
my build date is exactly 9/12, do I have the updated tensioner?

For the most part it seems like if your build date is after 10/11 then you should have the updated tensioner, but there are some discrepancies. See this post.

Another thing to think about would be the chain. I don't know when they started using the revised chains, so if you're close to 100k you could have a decent amount of stretch.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
For the most part it seems like if your build date is after 10/11 then you should have the updated tensioner, but there are some discrepancies. See this post.

Another thing to think about would be the chain. I don't know when they started using the revised chains, so if you're close to 100k you could have a decent amount of stretch.
Im pretty sure I have the updated tensioner, my car is technically a 2013 so I would hope it has it. Just wondering if my 9/12 build date was some sort of special date I guess

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
wait so lets say my car does have the updated chain tensioner (11/11), you guys still recommend replacing the chain? ugh..

Teachmehowto20

Passed Driver's Ed
I have no experience with OBDEleven but I've seen people say you can check using it. Read page 108 of the Official Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Thread. Check Engine Measuring block 093. if you're close to/beyond the range of -4 to 4 degrees then your chain is stretched beyond spec or you've jumped a tooth.

If you can't figure it out with OBDEleven and you happen to be in the DC or Baltimore metro area then I can check for you with VCDS.

Just checked it today.
Thanks for being willing to lend a hand though, I am in Ellicott City.

Note to Self:
Mileage: ~79200
Cam Adjustment: -3.19 Degrees (Blip); -2.7 Pre-blip @idle.

A little higher than I wanted, but since its within 4* id say I am okay for now. I am going to keep track of how much that value changes over the next 10k miles.
Off this one data point, its looking like it may be changing 0.04 every 1000 miles. So with that I should be good for the next 20K, which puts me right at 100K, which I would want to do a major maitenance/tune up anyways.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Just checked it today.
Thanks for being willing to lend a hand though, I am in Ellicott City.

Note to Self:
Mileage: ~79200
Cam Adjustment: -3.19 Degrees (Blip); -2.7 Pre-blip @idle.

A little higher than I wanted, but since its within 4* id say I am okay for now. I am going to keep track of how much that value changes over the next 10k miles.
Off this one data point, its looking like it may be changing 0.04 every 1000 miles. So with that I should be good for the next 20K, which puts me right at 100K, which I would want to do a major maitenance/tune up anyways.
Your logic and numbers make sense to me. I think it would make sense to change your cam chain/tensioner/guides around 100k or whenever you get close to -4degrees.

If you decide to go the DIY route I'd be willing to lend a hand, some experience, and/or my set of TSI timing tools. I live in Baltimore and did my timing system in January. I've also worked through a lot of maintenance/modifications on my car in the last 2 years. If you're interested check out my pictures of the timing job using the link in my signature.

Andrew429

Ready to race!
"theoretically" last life of the car, but myself and many others have had issues with the chain. It has been redesigned several times since the EA888 TSI came out. Numerous cases of peopling jumping timing without tensioner failure, chain stretch causing digging into the timing cover etc. If you have VCDS you can check block 93 cam phase adjustment when the car is fully warmed to get an idea of how much the chain is stretched. -4.00 degrees is starting to get pretty bad. I was getting rattling at -4.20 and after replacement im at -1.5 degrees and car seems to run a bit better as well.

I’m going to be changing the tensioner soon as a preventative maintenance, I checked block 93 and I’m at -2.84 degrees, is it wise to change the chain out as well? Looking for inputs, thanks guys

zrickety

The Fixer
I still say you can avoid stretching the chain by doing 5k oil changes...I'm in a hot climate and run mobil 1 10w-40, sitting at 150k.

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
2011 with 83k miles here. Just found this thread today and I'm freaking the eff out. Afraid to drive my car to work tomorrow. What is the average price to get this issue fixed?