GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
This is my buddies. Mine is the same. Was yours fitting longer than that?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

It was, the "fins" or whatever you wanna call them on the end, were way longer on the one I got from ECS than that one. That looks good though, so maybe I'll get that.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion

Dartregor

Ready to race!
My christmas present to myself will be headlights and tail lights. Waiting for the blackfriday sale. Cant wait for mk7 style headlights that are projectors. And the euro spec tail lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Ben, let us know how it works out, I'm on the fence about getting this spoiler or installing difuser,... ya could install both,.... we'll see.

Will do Mark. I think the rear trunk spoiler is a visual weak point on our cars. The extension would look great with your white paint.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Bought a K&N E-1998 air filter today. I thought it was their generic 3" air filter as that's what the tag on the shelf said but actually it's for the jeep patriot and is 3.3". I slapped it on and immediately realized this is not 3" but it actually is much nicer as I can easily tighten the clamp down and get a tight seal and I don't have force the filter on and bend up the filter.

I replaced the filer because I had to bend the shit out of it to remove it from the USP intake when I put the IE manifold in. The USP CAI is a PITA to replace the air filter on. Easy to install terrible to remove. Also having it down in the wheel well made it pretty dirty pretty fast.

Funny thing is I have noticed my car running a little sluggish down lower in the rpm range. With the new air filter the car is noticeably peppier. The USP and K&N filter look identical and my guess are made by the same manufacturer. The old filter must have been much more clogged than I thought.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Bought a K&N E-1998 air filter today. I thought it was their generic 3" air filter as that's what the tag on the shelf said but actually it's for the jeep patriot and is 3.3". I slapped it on and immediately realized this is not 3" but it actually is much nicer as I can easily tighten the clamp down and get a tight seal and I don't have force the filter on and bend up the filter.

I replaced the filer because I had to bend the shit out of it to remove it from the USP intake when I put the IE manifold in. The USP CAI is a PITA to replace the air filter on. Easy to install terrible to remove. Also having it down in the wheel well made it pretty dirty pretty fast.

Funny thing is I have noticed my car running a little sluggish down lower in the rpm range. With the new air filter the car is noticeably peppier. The USP and K&N filter look identical and my guess are made by the same manufacturer. The old filter must have been much more clogged than I thought.
The Filter element can look the same outside but its the inside that would make the difference. Reach inside and feel where the pipe terminates and where the filter element is joined, it should be a smooth tapering bell mouth not a sharp 90 degree. I still love my Shunk2 Velocity Stack/Filter but it's huge so it may not have worked for you.

I use the K&N Filter cleaner which does an OK job, meaning the dirt but the cotton gaze turns dark after a while, BUT as a second step, if you put the filter in a bath of water and Oxy-Clean it really does the job to bring back the white.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
So does the skunk2 have a rigid base and that is why the need for a coupling. With that extra coupling there is no way it would fit lengthwise. If the base was solf rubber where the pipe for into the filter like you usually see it would probably fit.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So does the skunk2 have a rigid base and that is why the need for a coupling. With that extra coupling there is no way it would fit lengthwise. If the base was solf rubber where the pipe for into the filter like you usually see it would probably fit.
Rubber 3.5 inch to 3 inch adapter, soft is relative. It can be shortened but I haven't had the need to do so.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ahh. Ya the K&N, and USP, don't have any lip. The inner edge of the filter is flush with the pipe inlet.
Without a Bell Mouth transition, effectively that makes it a straight cut pipe. IMO It's all about how air molecules that you can get into my intake, the more the better, a bell mouth enables you to get a larger percentage of air from the side of the pipe, compared to a straight pipe, and the larger the bell mouth the more air molecules you can capture.

If you study the pictures on the left side of the eBay Skunk2 Velocity Stack/Fliter with the tapered 3.5 to 3.0 inch adapter you will see how good the design is. Effectively, it is a 4.5 inch bell mouth tapering down to the intake diameter of 3 inches, remember you capture more air molecules.

With our choked off Stock VW Intake Manifold we struggle to see much gains but with the IE SRI you should see a good difference at the top end.

The Filter is a Double cone design which flows huge and designed to work with the bell mouth; it may not help us NA guys as we don't flow enough air but would help the guys with the K04s.

Attachments

• Skunk2 Intake(Small).jpg
    Skunk2 Intake(Small).jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited: