GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Labor, Pittsburgh Area

Gauge85

Ready to race!
Hey man! I sent you a PM, but are you still looking to do that tensioner update? Just trying to figure out when I should go about acquiring the tool to hold the pulley. My other one is at home in the poconos :(

Yeah I got it just isn't looking too feasible atm I had some issues pop up on the VR6. You ever do any work on MKIV?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I got it just isn't looking too feasible atm I had some issues pop up on the VR6. You ever do any work on MKIV?

I hear that man! Yep, I had a MK4 GTI with a 1.8t for 4 years or so. Also did some work on mk3 VR6's and 2.0's. Like I said, I've been around the block a few times! lol

Whats wrong with it?

Gauge85

Ready to race!
Well the most immediate concern is either a wheel bearing or CV joint. I have some speed based noise sounds like from front drivers side. Most noticeably around 40mph. I jacked the car up and don't have any play in either front wheels. I also noticed I have a little vibration in the brake pedal that's new and I believe to be an additional symptom of this problem.

In addition to that I believe I am hearing the beginning of the timing chain rattle so I would be interested in addressing this as well.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Well the most immediate concern is either a wheel bearing or CV joint. I have some speed based noise sounds like from front drivers side. Most noticeably around 40mph. I jacked the car up and don't have any play in either front wheels. I also noticed I have a little vibration in the brake pedal that's new and I believe to be an additional symptom of this problem.

In addition to that I believe I am hearing the beginning of the timing chain rattle so I would be interested in addressing this as well.

I think I changed every wheel bearing in my MK4 in the 4 years I had it, so they aren't uncommon. The vibrating brake pedal may be due to the wheel bearing. Is this a 12v or 24v?

Gauge85

Ready to race!
I think I changed every wheel bearing in my MK4 in the 4 years I had it, so they aren't uncommon. The vibrating brake pedal may be due to the wheel bearing. Is this a 12v or 24v?

12V 2000 GLX

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
12V 2000 GLX

Ah I see. Well the chains don't look like a hard job, but you have to pull the trans to get to the lower chains, which isn't something I'd want to do in a driveway.. LOL. The wheel bearing shouldn't be bad though. Let me know what you want to do with it!

Gauge85

Ready to race!
I just don't know if its the bearing for sure or not though. No play on the wheel makes me wonder if it might be a CV joint? I can feel the vibration in the floor (mildly).

*Its not wheels/tires as noise is present on both my winter steelie set and brand new rubber stock wheel summer set.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I just don't know if its the bearing for sure or not though. No play on the wheel makes me wonder if it might be a CV joint? I can feel the vibration in the floor (mildly).

*Its not wheels/tires as noise is present on both my winter steelie set and brand new rubber stock wheel summer set.

Sometimes they can be really hard to hear. I had one going on mine that was making noise. I had no play, and even with it running on the lift and a pry bar on the a-arm I really couldn't pick it out. A month or two later it started to sound like a meat grinder, and I changed it and that was it!

Gauge85

Ready to race!
What would you charge to change it out?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
hmmmm I just flipped 60k

anything I should do for preventive?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
hmmmm I just flipped 60k

anything I should do for preventive?

Depends on what you have already done.
Personally, I did a valve cleaning and updated my tensioner at 50k. The tensioner is hit or miss, but if it goes your motor is toast. Since I now have the updated one and haven't heard of any problems with it, I probably won't touch that again. I would still do the valve cleaning every 50k though.

As for other things.. Fuel filter should be changed every 40k, and I also do plugs at the same time. If you still have your stock plugs, it may not be a bad idea to get them replaced.

If you want anymore info just ask! And if you want to schedule something just shoot me a PM!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Installed some shifter cable and bracket bushings for someone yesterday! Drank some beers, talked cars and installed parts. You too can do this, and get some cheap labor done in the process!