GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Two years too late. A tale of my expanding build.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Did an oil change yesterday and installed my Fumoto oil drain valve. Its a quality piece that should make oil changes quicker and remove the chance of me stripping my oil pan.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Me and the car went on a trip down to Florida this past weekend. Took a small pitstop at APR this past weekend. Sadly they were low manned and I couldnt catch a tour. Maybe when I come back from my deployment I'll get a tour. Here is what I saw.

Obligatory building photo:

Showroom photo:

Racecar:

The K04 and OPS display:

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Nice build mang....

VanDorin91

Go Kart Champion
Oh man. This thread still alive??

Haha get your feet out of the sand and come do racecar things! :bellyroll:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!

Forreal though, I saw mutterings of K04 on the GTI subreddit a while back, what's the scoop on that? You gonna be killing me on the straights come next race season?

BTW, NASA Southeast is running CMP Feb 13-14. It'll probably be cold as ballz, but maybe it'll be a freak 70* day like last year. Either way, you should be there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Nice build mang....
Thanks Irish! :wub:
Nice build so far, like the choice in rims BTW!
Thanks man. I really like them.

You know I would if I could. And don't you need to update your pic to a truck. You brodozer.
Forreal though, I saw mutterings of K04 on the GTI subreddit a while back, what's the scoop on that? You gonna be killing me on the straights come next race season?

BTW, NASA Southeast is running CMP Feb 13-14. It'll probably be cold as ballz, but maybe it'll be a freak 70* day like last year. Either way, you should be there

Ive seriously considered the K04. But I don't think I can justify the cost at the moment. It would lead my down a rabbit hole of other mods I would need.

I wish I could attend that event. But I would just be getting back into the states at that time. I would have a week or so in the US. And I wouldn't be settled in enough to go racing.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I wish I could attend that event. But I would just be getting back into the states at that time. I would have a week or so in the US. And I wouldn't be settled in enough to go racing.

I hear ya. Once NASA releases their schedule for both Southeast and Mid Atlantic, I'll have a better idea of what my race season will look like and I'll let you know when I'm planning on racing should you be able to join me. Tentatively looks like CMP in Feb, VIR in May, and Road Atlanta in octoberish. I may do a fourth event at NCCAR in Sept since it'll be as cheap as CMP, but a bit more local. We shall see.

Either way, we need to get you racing this year!

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I hear ya. Once NASA releases their schedule for both Southeast and Mid Atlantic, I'll have a better idea of what my race season will look like and I'll let you know when I'm planning on racing should you be able to join me. Tentatively looks like CMP in Feb, VIR in May, and Road Atlanta in octoberish. I may do a fourth event at NCCAR in Sept since it'll be as cheap as CMP, but a bit more local. We shall see.

Either way, we need to get you racing this year!

I bolded the important parts.
I am really trying to. I would love to attend VIR and Road Atlanta. But I doubt I could make both. Id also like the opportunity to meet my GTI twin who races.

I still need to get a helmet and raise my car back to a proper height. I want to go so bad. I hopped on some gokarts out here and had a hoot. But otherwise I dont really get to drive anymore. I miss my gti.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I bolded the important parts.
I am really trying to. I would love to attend VIR and Road Atlanta. But I doubt I could make both. Id also like the opportunity to meet my GTI twin who races.

I still need to get a helmet and raise my car back to a proper height. I want to go so bad. I hopped on some gokarts out here and had a hoot. But otherwise I dont really get to drive anymore. I miss my gti.
Be prepared to be scared shit less at either track if you've never raced before. I haven't been to RA yet, but when I went to VIR in July (terrible idea, hot as fuuuuck) the speed terrified me for the first two session (not used to driving my little eco hatch at nearly 130mph) and I think RA has an even longer straight than VIR. Once you get used to it, it's a crap ton of fun though.

We definitley do need to meet at some point, racetrack or not, you and Vandorin are way too close to not chill sometime, haha.

I guarantee if you go to VIR you will make RA in October work out somehow. This stuff is too addicting to only do once a year, I'm upset I didn't go at least 3 times this year

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Be prepared to be scared shit less at either track if you've never raced before. I haven't been to RA yet, but when I went to VIR in July (terrible idea, hot as fuuuuck) the speed terrified me for the first two session (not used to driving my little eco hatch at nearly 130mph) and I think RA has an even longer straight than VIR. Once you get used to it, it's a crap ton of fun though.

We definitley do need to meet at some point, racetrack or not, you and Vandorin are way too close to not chill sometime, haha.

I guarantee if you go to VIR you will make RA in October work out somehow. This stuff is too addicting to only do once a year, I'm upset I didn't go at least 3 times this year

Im not sure how scared I would be of the straights. Ive driven quite a lot at high speeds. Its more of getting comfortable with my braking and the turns. I need to work on judging my speeds for the corners.

Im going to see if I cant make it to an event. I just need to put some money aside and get my car prepped.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Im not sure how scared I would be of the straights. Ive driven quite a lot at high speeds. Its more of getting comfortable with my braking and the turns. I need to work on judging my speeds for the corners.

Im going to see if I cant make it to an event. I just need to put some money aside and get my car prepped.
Yeah, it's not the speed so much that's scary as it is approaching a corner at those speeds and trying to brake as late as possible without waiting too long, haha. Really only lasts a lap or two, then you're too preoccupied with hunting down that guy who you just had to give a point by to

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it's not the speed so much that's scary as it is approaching a corner at those speeds and trying to brake as late as possible without waiting too long, haha. Really only lasts a lap or two, then you're too preoccupied with hunting down that guy who you just had to give a point by to

So it will be two laps before I start hunting you down.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
So it will be two laps before I start hunting you down.
Hmmm, we shall see, haha. You have more power, I have more seat time (and R-compounds)

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm, we shall see, haha. You have more power, I have more seat time (and R-compounds)

I doubt that I have too much power on you. Im only APR stage 2. I need some better wheels/tires too. Im rocking heavy rep wheels and Nitto Neo gen all seasons.

Ive thought about picking up some lighter 17s and wrapping them with more aggressive tires.