GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

hard brake pedal with little or no braking????

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
You'd likely have to use a vacuum pump (like a mighyvac) to really tell if it holds vacuum. Not sure you can tell just by just blowing through it. Also check the vacuum pump for vacuum. A leak at the vacuum pump would not be a vacuum leak per the engine really as it is a mechanical pump creating vacuum separate from manifold vacuum. So the engine likely would not be affected. Brake booster definitely sounds like your issue though.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I wish I could help you more Andrew. When my problem cropped up I just sent it to the dealer since I had the CPO warranty. There was no troubleshooting by me, although I did believe it was a faulty brake booster, but in my case it was the vacuum line. It can get quite costly to just keep throwing parts at it to see what sticks.

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Will post a more detailed thread later, but the vacuum pump did fail, looks like something internally got stuck and in turn broke the mounting bracket to the cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Great trouble shooting.

You are lucky on a MINI it locks the cam & causes the engine to jump time & cause very expen$ive noises.