GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI OEM+ Build

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
I originally thought I would have fun with my GTI for about 2-3 years and then go back to a compact RWD; my previous car was AP1 S2000. I was looking to put a deposit down on an M2; but I just ended up falling in love with my GTI and decided to make it my project car. 8 years from now on, I want to be that cool 50 year old guy with a perfectly maintained MK6 GTI :)
Being an architectural designer myself, the MK6's design I believe is almost perfect. I didn't even think about switching to the MK7 (no offense to who who have made that move).
My goal is to keep it as OEM as possible.
In addition to the euro front lip (not pictured), I have installed following items so far. Sorry - no grand pictures yet.

DEPO LED w/ Deautokey LED blinkers

OEM Rearview Camera

Sequential LED Turn Signal Lights

OEM euro cupholder and underseat drawers

Front and rear door puddle / logo projector lights

Mirror puddle light (Deautokey LEDs)

OEM RLS system w/ Satint Gobein Sekurit windshield (acoustic laminated). Leaving home and coming home features work great! So does the rain sensor.

Many of these mods have been done @ Dubclinic. I installed the euro cupholder myself; it was extremely difficult but fun.

What's next?
Probably lowering springs/shocks, rear stabilizer, euro chime horn, valved exhaust w/ VW-Audio OEM switch.

Last edited:

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Finish off the interior stuff with some seat lever inlays and the aluminum glove box handle. Nice mods so far!

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Having the following items lined up for the next wave of OEM+ stuffs;
- DEI speaker for alarm chirps (vs. stock horn)
- coilover or struts and springs
- valved (button controlled) cat back exhaust system; considering several different models
- front/rear sway bars
- front and rear subframe collars
- side/rear diffusers

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Architectural Designer here too! Love keeping mine OEM+ as well.

Aluminum glove box handle
Red footwell lights
Second trunk light is needed IMO
Front and rear backup sensors. Doing this you can also retrofit auto parallel parking
Deleting the MDI box in the center console for a single DIN cubby was great

torga

Autocross Champion
Having the following items lined up for the next wave of OEM+ stuffs;
- DEI speaker for alarm chirps (vs. stock horn)
- coilover or struts and springs
- valved (button controlled) cat back exhaust system; considering several different models
- front/rear sway bars
- front and rear subframe collars
- side/rear diffusers
Why a valved exhaust? Just curious. I have a aftermarket downpipe and CBE installed and it's extremely tame unless you're really on it. Puttering around town from light to light, you'd never guess it's as loud as it is when it's really opened up.

+1 for this. Such a no-brainer mod!

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion

Red footwell lights
Front and rear backup sensors. Doing this you can also retrofit auto parallel parking

Cool! Arch designers obvious have a good taste :w00t:.
I would love to do OEM parking sensors. Will probably add to the list.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Why a valved exhaust? Just curious. I have a aftermarket downpipe and CBE installed and it's extremely tame unless you're really on it. Puttering around town from light to light, you'd never guess it's as loud as it is when it's really opened up.

+1 for this. Such a no-brainer mod!

As of Jan 2019 with the new bill, California has been cracking down big time on aftermarket exhausts. I would like to be able to fly under the radar whenever I see a cop/CHP officer around me. In addition, I would like to be able to keep things quite when I’m driving around in my neighborhood.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
A catted downpipe is perfect in my opinion for the OEM+ level of noise. Plus with a stage 2 tune actually adds performance while a catback exhaust doesn't make any additional power. Also with a downpipe you keep your stock exhaust and tips allowing you to fly under the radar.

I had to take mine off to get smogged and never bothered putting it back on. Also even catted the smell in the garage on cold startup was bad. I kinda felt like I was that guy who drains their used oil in the sewer with a catted downpipe after awhile. I'm no tree hugger just really practical and this will probably be my last fossil fuel burning vehicle.

torga

Autocross Champion
Huh, right after I put it on I got a bad garage smell on cold starts, but I figured that's because it had been sitting unused in the previous owner's garage for a while. Now that I've been driving it regularly, I don't get smells anymore.
This may also be my last ICE commuter/daily car, but I'll always have an ICE project car for as long as I'm able to.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Had 30k mile service done at Dubclinic and also had the following modes done

'euro-chirp" mod. You can see the leaving home feature in action in this video as well.

Also had R32 belly installed. Def covers more area underneath the engine. There is a long downhill section on 680 that I usually coast @ 67-70 mph. It's definitely a bit quieter.

Last edited:

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Love the OEM+ build! I live in the Monterey area but I frequent the Bay Area often. Hope I see ya around!

Thanks! Sounds good! I know a few MK6 owners in the BA. Perhaps we can do a C&C meet!:w00t: May be I should talk to Bernard @ Dubclinic to see if he’s interested in hosting it.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion

Red footwell lights

Do you happen to have the complete list of parts for the OPS (front and rear parking sensor assembly)?

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Do you happen to have the complete list of parts for the OPS (front and rear parking sensor assembly)?

I did not end up installing the rear OPS because the rear OEM backup camera is more reliable when backing up IMO. Also you can't use both the rear camera video and optical rear parking graphic at the same time. You just hear the beeping as you get closer to an object since your headunit will default to the rear view camera.

Here is the biggest post on this subject.
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77564