GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY poor mans WORKING auto pop trunk hatch

Gorilla1

Ready to race!
Just did this and it works fine. It's not as powerful as the ECS kit but it's also not $100. It's a little harder to close and it doesn't work perfectly, but it'll get the job done.

Pancho

Bullseye! Works like a charm, like it should have been this way in the first place. Just need to mind those pesky metal clips... pry a little too much and they go into orbit!

kristian19

Ready to race!
difference between our struts and the ecs ones? any known issues about scratching?

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump...

Over a month of constant use and works every time now. I put stuff in the trunk that I can fit up front just to watch it work.

kristian19

Ready to race!
Hows the scratching and rubbing issues? Not bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deaks2

Ready to race!
This methods (like Modshack's) does not work on my car unless it is 30+ deg C. Even in my parking garage at 25 deg C the struts cannot pop the trunk. I reverted back to the OE setup.

Note: You lose more than a couple of inches of lift height, I'd say it was about a foot or so.

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
Hows the scratching and rubbing issues? Not bad?

On my golf I haven't seen any scratching or rubbing at all I open it at least once every day sometimes just to see it go up and show my speakers. but like I said its at your own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This methods (like Modshack's) does not work on my car unless it is 30+ deg C. Even in my parking garage at 25 deg C the struts cannot pop the trunk. I reverted back to the OE setup.

Note: You lose more than a couple of inches of lift height, I'd say it was about a foot or so.

As far as the temperature issue it's true you lose a lot of pressure in the pistons in colder temp. thats why right now I dont see any issues being in Texas at 95f at night. But like I said its easy and free to do even if it doesnt work every single time for you it does for me and others and will keep using it until pistons give out then get the ecs kit.

I really dont think its close to a foot of height lost maybe 3-4 inches max. But regardless I have to duck down regardless being that im 6'3 so no change in my routine.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
cough up the $109 and get the ESC kit. I'm sure everyone can afford that....

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
It'll probably work right now since most of the US is hot as hell, expanding those gases to press harder on the seals. Wait until winter when nobody's hatch will open because of it.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
That's when they realized the price for the trunk pop kit isn't really that bad.