GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Discuss Clutch Options (Disc, Pressure Plate, Flywheel) - Summary of discussion

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
So, I haven't gotten to reading all of the reviews yet, but are you guys going with full clutch kits all finding rev hang to be reduced? This is one of my biggest gripes with my car... Could help me justify stage 2 plus clutch... if I would get more powah and less rev hang.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
So, I haven't gotten to reading all of the reviews yet, but are you guys going with full clutch kits all finding rev hang to be reduced? This is one of my biggest gripes with my car... Could help me justify stage 2 plus clutch... if I would get more powah and less rev hang.

Rev hang is more related to throttle tapering and the emissions equipment on the car. Getting a single mass flywheel will help with this but will never completely remove it.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
If you want rev hang to be less apparent on any clutch setup, make sure your out of boost when you shift. Shifting while the car is in vacuum will allow RPMs to drop quick.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Rev hang is more related to throttle tapering and the emissions equipment on the car. Getting a single mass flywheel will help with this but will never completely remove it.

That's what I thought, I just noticed it was mentioned in the OP.

If you want rev hang to be less apparent on any clutch setup, make sure your out of boost when you shift. Shifting while the car is in vacuum will allow RPMs to drop quick.

I've noticed this. When I let off the throttle, then shift, they drop quite quickly. I've also noticed that if I shift at higher rpms the revs drop quicker, I figure this is just the ECU reacting to my more spirited driving.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Is it safe to say that when I go stage two I should be okay with just the drop in disk? I would rather spend the money I save on a LSD rather then getting a full clutch kit.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Is it safe to say that when I go stage two I should be okay with just the drop in disk? I would rather spend the money I save on a LSD rather then getting a full clutch kit.

Yes, that would work. There are plenty of folks using it w/o any issues. The disc itself is rated for big power. As long as your flywheel and pressure plate are in good shape, everything should be fine.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, that would work. There are plenty of folks using it w/o any issues. The disc itself is rated for big power. As long as your flywheel and pressure plate are in good shape, everything should be fine.

Is this solution suitable for the stock dual mass flywheel and K04 applications?

What drop in disc are people using with the dual mass flywheel?

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
This is a great thread, and in a way it's making me reconsider going stage 1 due to the cost of replacing a clutch if need be. This is the first manual transmission car I've every owned and have only been driving stick for 4 months. So, I don't really have much to compare our clutch to and I went into buying a GTI biased b/c a bunch of friends sang praises about the GTI's manual transmission saying, "It's smooth, and real easy to drive." I find it kind of jerky from 1st to 2nd, and the clutch is smooth, but I wish it had more resistance. Considering some other hardware options to improve shifting besides dropping a boatload on a new clutch kit...perhaps a torque mount insert and a short shifter?