GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel/Rim fitment fun and opinions

DARE

Hiya' all,

After countless hours of surfing the amazing world of the Internet, I finally ended up buying a pair of BBS SR's @ 18" x 8 et45, with tyres of 215/45.

WP_000392.jpg WP_000421.jpg

Unfortunately, due to my lack of knowledge (or just plain miscalculations..) I didn't realise I would be lifting the car up quite a friggin' bit..

What really bothered me though, was that the wheels seemed to stand out quite more than what an 8" wide et45 rim should.

WP_000411.jpg

Well, what do you know:

WP_000428.jpg

Turns out this lovely seller from germany had shipped me et35 instead of 45, so I phoned the company (felgen-online.de). They asked me to send them pictures with the et and how the rims fit, and after seeing them they told me to go for a lower profile, thinking the rims fit just great!

They also claimed that et45 rims of this type are out of stock at BBS, so it would not be possible to change them.

I don't know what on earth I was thinking but I decided to go for 225/40 tyres, with the change costing me all in all about 100€. (I sold the old pair)

At the same time I ordered Rim protectors from ebay, and they ended up looking rather decent:

WP_000482.jpg WP_000479.jpg

However, the set still didn't fit (duh, I shoulda' guessed that but oh well...).
I phoned the guys and they asked me to drop them a email, which I did.
Well, it's been one week but still no answer - they refuse to take back the wrong rims they sent, and won't answer any of my requests nor proposals for a deal that would suit both of us:
1) I would send the rims back and they would send ones with the correct et - I even offered to pay for the shipment on one direction,
2) I would send the rims back and look for another pair of rims that I liked, and would have payed for the shipment on one direction
or 3) They would take them back and give me a refund.
IMHO I offered rather good deals, since they were the ones who sent me rims I didn't pay for to start with..

Anyhow I finally ended up putting the entire set on sale, and got it sold at the price I had bought it ending up more or less in the starting situation.

Searching online for a new set of rims I bumped into the SR's again, this time at a larger german online retailer that claims to have et 45's at stock.

Now what I'm wondering is should I go for the same ones or look for something else? IMO the rims look great, but I can't decide wether to buy them or not. Some local kid bought them from me and put them on a GOLF V - I don't know how on earth he will make them fit, but at least he knew they were et35 before he got them.

Opinions, anyone?

Oh, and just in case anyone from Europe is reading this, I would recommend you to avoid felgen-online.de at any cost.

Last edited:

DARE

Haha, thb thought of that too, but came to my senses :p

I am going to lower it though once I get something that fits underneath..

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I was running 18x8 +35 with 225/40/18. I did roll the fronts and have some camber in the rear but this is what I ran for my track set up. It's fine and looks awesome.

DARE

Not really into adding camber nor rolling, this will probably never see the track and I'm more into the comfort of the ride. And as I said it won't be necessary anyway as I sold the rims.