GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track brake pads

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Figured I'd post some feedback about track pads from this past season.

I run the following brake setup:
Stoptech/Centric High Carbon Blank Rotors
G-LOC GS-1 Compound Pads (Street)
G-LOC R8 Compound Pads (Track)
Tyrolsport Brake Bushing Kit
Removed dust shields
Motul RBF600 Fluid

I can't say enough good things about the G-Loc pads. The R8 compound performed flawlessly over a pretty grueling 2-day track event at VIR earlier this month. There are two high speed (130+mph) braking zones in each lap, with many lighter braking zones in between, and I didn't notice any pad fade during any 30 minute sessions. Very little wear during that event, and they are easy on the rotors. These pads even do well at low temps on the street, but the noise they generate is pretty intense. Because of that, I run the GS-1 compound on the street, which is compatible with the R8 on the same rotors. The GS-1 pads have a very similar coefficient of friction as the R8 in cold temps (maybe even slightly higher) and are quite easy to modulate. I really enjoy running them daily. So far they are quiet with less dust than the OEM or Stoptech Street pads I've ran in the past.

A few notes:
Bedding procedure is critical for the R8 compound pads. I tried to bed them in on the street, but wasn't able to get enough heat in them. They did properly bed in during my first session on track, which caused me to lose half a session so I could let them cool. Because of this, I would recommend getting them pre-bed from G-LOC. This is to bring the pad up to temperature to properly off-gas the pad material.

I've reached the limits of Motul RBF600 and find that I need to bleed my brakes at the end of each track day (meaning I'm boiling the fluid). I will need to upgrade next season to either RBF660 or Castrol SRF.

Can't wait for next season!! :D Schedule was just released. :thumbup:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Figured I'd post some feedback about track pads from this past season.

I run the following brake setup:
Stoptech/Centric High Carbon Blank Rotors
G-LOC GS-1 Compound Pads (Street)
G-LOC R8 Compound Pads (Track)
Tyrolsport Brake Bushing Kit
Removed dust shields
Motul RBF600 Fluid

I can't say enough good things about the G-Loc pads. The R8 compound performed flawlessly over a pretty grueling 2-day track event at VIR earlier this month. There are two high speed (130+mph) braking zones in each lap, with many lighter braking zones in between, and I didn't notice any pad fade during any 30 minute sessions. Very little wear during that event, and they are easy on the rotors. These pads even do well at low temps on the street, but the noise they generate is pretty intense. Because of that, I run the GS-1 compound on the street, which is compatible with the R8 on the same rotors. The GS-1 pads have a very similar coefficient of friction as the R8 in cold temps (maybe even slightly higher) and are quite easy to modulate. I really enjoy running them daily. So far they are quiet with less dust than the OEM or Stoptech Street pads I've ran in the past.

A few notes:
Bedding procedure is critical for the R8 compound pads. I tried to bed them in on the street, but wasn't able to get enough heat in them. They did properly bed in during my first session on track, which caused me to lose half a session so I could let them cool. Because of this, I would recommend getting them pre-bed from G-LOC. This is to bring the pad up to temperature to properly off-gas the pad material.

I've reached the limits of Motul RBF600 and find that I need to bleed my brakes at the end of each track day (meaning I'm boiling the fluid). I will need to upgrade next season to either RBF660 or Castrol SRF.

Can't wait for next season!! :D Schedule was just released. :thumbup:

Skip the RBF660 and go with SRF. It's well worth the money.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Skip the RBF660 and go with SRF. It's well worth the money.

That's the direction I'm leaning. Do you get a full season out of SRF, or flush every few months? It's high wet boiling point should let me run all season, but I'm interested in hearing experiences.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
That's the direction I'm leaning. Do you get a full season out of SRF, or flush every few months? It's high wet boiling point should let me run all season, but I'm interested in hearing experiences.

It lasted me all season long without bleeding it once. 30+ minute sessions and absolutely hard pedal 100% of the time. RBF600, RBF660, Stoptech fluid all got mushy for me after 20 minutes or so.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
It lasted me all season long without bleeding it once. 30+ minute sessions and absolutely hard pedal 100% of the time. RBF600, RBF660, Stoptech fluid all got mushy for me after 20 minutes or so.

Well that settles that then. Makes it an easy decision. :laugh:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Thanks for the tip, I will go with SRF, it is more expensive but when you look at the specs you can see why.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

This. Stop tech fluid is shit. I bought that and used for one session and it was mushy as fuck like jay says. RBF and XP10’s are perfect for the whole day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsm722

Ready to race!

As others have already mentioned, get SRF and don't look back. I installed the fluid along with Neuspeed stainless lines in June 2018 and have done 6 or so full track days since then. I've gone through 2 sets of rotors and 2 sets of front Hawk DTC-60, haven't even bled the fluid yet..
:thumbsup:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
As others have already mentioned, get SRF and don't look back. I installed the fluid along with Neuspeed stainless lines in June 2018 and have done 6 or so full track days since then. I've gone through 2 sets of rotors and 2 sets of front Hawk DTC-60, haven't even bled the fluid yet..
:thumbsup:

Wow yeah bumping old thread. How have you gone through so many rotors and pads? Should consider using your brakes less lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Wow yeah bumping old thread.

Not really, it's the start of track season. :iono:

zsm722 said:

Good timing, just did this last night...

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Don't forget to buy your SRF through FCP Euro so you get free replacement fluid!