GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 2.0 TSI K04 v3.1 Software Now Available!

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
It's nothing new and I think we did our part to inform the public. We also informed our dealer network to inform customers that come in for updates, especially since the 3 Bar MAP sensor is already an item that needs to be updated at the same time. You seem to frequent this thread so I am surprised you haven't come across the countless times it has been a topic?

clownish

just clowning around
was / is this information going to be made public?

I just had a track day today on the 3.1 and am having misfires now on cyl1. Changed the coilpacks between another cylinder, came up again, so that ruled out the pack. Didn't have any tools really on me, so couldn't swap plugs.

Can someone please confirm exactly what plugs at this current time are being recommend to run with the K04? I understand the interval change for replacement, but would really appreciate if a public statement or posting is made on the APR website or somewhere, so that we know what we should be running here, rather than having to ask others / dig through posts on a thread somewhere, when I'm running thousands of dollars into a turbo kit and supporting mods, and a car that is not cheap to own/operate/upkeep/repair, etc...

From the APR k04 site @ http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_trans_20_tsi_k04.html

APR's software is design for use with NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs gapped to 0.024" ±0.002" or 0.6mm ±0.05mm with a change interval of 10-15,000 mi or 16-24,000 km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol gli

Go Kart Champion
but would really appreciate if a public statement or posting is made on the APR website or somewhere, so that we know what we should be running here, rather than having to ask others / dig through posts on a thread somewhere, when I'm running thousands of dollars into a turbo kit and supporting mods, and a car that is not cheap to own/operate/upkeep/repair, etc...

thank you. I wouldn't know to look there, since I already have the kit.. perhaps an email notification or something would have been nice, but who knows.

k

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone been able to set readiness on a CBFA engine with 3.1? Kind of odd that the same spacer setup did not work and I am not the only one that noticed that.

I just won this battle today. Set readiness and no codes.

I used 2 vibrant j spacers. One pre cat using no jetting insert and one post cat using the middle jet.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's nothing new and I think we did our part to inform the public. We also informed our dealer network to inform customers that come in for updates, especially since the 3 Bar MAP sensor is already an item that needs to be updated at the same time. You seem to frequent this thread so I am surprised you haven't come across the countless times it has been a topic?

the 3bar was handled fine, thank you. This, no dealer has mentioned it that I've heard of :iono:

I don't frequent this thread. Similar to the others, most of it is bickering back and forth and other nonsense. It's left open , because otherwise people have cried about any kind of APR thread (release, speculation, discussion, trolling) being closed, that is all.

Again, I am paying thousands of dollars for this kit and supporting mods, and something like this should be made VERY public if it is indeed needed. My car could have had serious issues yesterday while on track and is now shuddering when driving around town, etc. Just would have been good to know. That is all.

Thank you for having it on your site. I am getting a set today most likely. Hopefully that fixes it.

From the APR k04 site @ http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_trans_20_tsi_k04.html

APR's software is design for use with NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs gapped to 0.024" ±0.002" or 0.6mm ±0.05mm with a change interval of 10-15,000 mi or 16-24,000 km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, thank you. saw that now and getting a set.

again, I already have the product and didn't know they had these "recommendations" for all things, tires, etc, etc, on that page. Otherwise, I'd have no idea to look there or even know that is recommended ( i believe it was something else prior). But if it is that crucial and that low of an interval, I really think that similar to the notification on the file update, there should be an email sent to all owners of the kit.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
My friend just got a K04 installed at an APR dealer and they told him he didn't have to upgrade his plugs... :iono:

@GK - you're the king of bickering threads. Bazinga.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
the 3bar was handled fine, thank you. This, no dealer has mentioned it that I've heard of :iono:

I don't frequent this thread. Similar to the others, most of it is bickering back and forth and other nonsense. It's left open , because otherwise people have cried about any kind of APR thread (release, speculation, discussion, trolling) being closed, that is all.

Again, I am paying thousands of dollars for this kit and supporting mods, and something like this should be made VERY public if it is indeed needed. My car could have had serious issues yesterday while on track and is now shuddering when driving around town, etc. Just would have been good to know. That is all.

Thank you for having it on your site. I am getting a set today most likely. Hopefully that fixes it.

yes, thank you. saw that now and getting a set.

again, I already have the product and didn't know they had these "recommendations" for all things, tires, etc, etc, on that page. Otherwise, I'd have no idea to look there or even know that is recommended ( i believe it was something else prior). But if it is that crucial and that low of an interval, I really think that similar to the notification on the file update, there should be an email sent to all owners of the kit.

I'd get that plug out of there ASAP. There were threads of the end of the spark plug melting off and then going through the motor. If you already tried coilpacks and that didn't help, you either had an injector go bad or it's the plug.

Hopfully you can get away with just changing the plug, but if the end melted off you're going to be in a world of shit.

Are the codes in any way related to injector or fuel? Or just misfires on that one cylinder? That would be a good indication of where to go from here. Actually, have you checked the codes at all?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
My friend just got a K04 installed at an APR dealer and they told him he didn't have to upgrade his plugs... :iono:

@GK - you're the king of bickering threads. Bazinga.

indeed ;)

bickering.. eh, not so much anymore, maybe more in OT, yes'th.

I'd get that plug out of there ASAP. There were threads of the end of the spark plug melting off and then going through the motor. If you already tried coilpacks and that didn't help, you either had an injector go bad or it's the plug.

Hopfully you can get away with just changing the plug, but if the end melted off you're going to be in a world of shit.

Are the codes in any way related to injector or fuel? Or just misfires on that one cylinder? That would be a good indication of where to go from here. Actually, have you checked the codes at all?

yes, i pulled codes, thats how i know its cyl1, as stated before :)

ah great.. what happens if it is fried then? what kind of damage are we talking here??

Jawn, I'm available for hugs today if needed. Good luck brosef.

:hugs:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
indeed ;)

yes, i pulled codes, thats how i know its cyl1, as stated before :)

ah great.. what happens if it is fried then? what kind of damage are we talking here??

Depends on how much of it broke off and how long it bounced around in the cylinder before exiting through the turbo and exhaust. Imagine a piece of metal going through your engine...

Best case it just tinged around on top of the cylinder and went out. Worse case, it jammed itself between the edge of the piston and the cylinder wall scratching things to hell. Not sure exactly how close the valves come to the pistons, but if it happened to get stuck between a valve and the piston then some bending and serious knicking in the top of the cylinder occured. Not to mention if it hit anything on the exhaust side of the turbine.

It really could go either way. Like I said, it could be as easy as putting a new plug in and being fine, or as bad as take the head off and motor apart and start replacing shit. You really won't know until you get that plug out of there.

I'm pretty sure the last few guys that had this happen had to replace/rebuild their motor. I tried for a minute to find it and had no luck. I can't remember if the person made a new thread or just posted in here somewhere or both.

EDIT: HERE'S THE THREAD... http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79909

There was definitely one other guy, quite possibly two.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
:(

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
high cylinder pressure......

Yea, I'm sure DM tunes for lower cylinder pressure... Given both tunes run the same boost, and DM runs it earlier and doesn't take into account surge zones..

Sorry man. Just trying to provide some accurate information as to what to be prepared for. Me, I would have had that plug out immediately because the waiting to see what it was would have killed me.

What plugs do you have in and for how long?