GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery died in 2 years, 30k miles. Anyone else?

ketchupfreak

Go Kart Champion
My 13 GTI abruptly started having issues starting up. I had to get it jumped a few times and then had it tested at Oreily's. Their diagnostic machine said the battery, starter and alternator all passed. It would sometimes start fine but then I'd go get food and it wouldn't start. I took it over to the dealership when it didn't start this morning and they confirmed it needed a new battery. Battery warranty is 2y 20 or 25k so I had to shell out $150 for a new OEM. It comes with a 5 year warranty though. Anyone else's oem battery give up so soon?

Me007gold

Ready to race!
Yep, my factory battery died at under 22,000 miles at about 2.5 years. I find it really strange the battery warranty is only 2/24, and not part of the 3/36

Uberryan

Banned
The OEM batteries are shit.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I've driven 60k miles in 2 years and 4 months and my OEM battery is working just fine.

Paytrose

Ready to race!
My GTI occasionally has trouble starting up. Not sure if its a battery issue or ignition/spark plug issue. But I'm near 30K and so far I haven't been stranded from a dead battery.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity do any of you (with short battery lives) have a GTI equipped with KESSY? I'm wondering if it's a keyless entry issue, since the car has to periodically ping a signal to detect the fob etc.

Personally I haven't had any early dead battery issues with the OEM stuff when I had my Mk5 Rabbit. I'm hoping it'll be the same with my Mk6 GTI. Can't see any reason why it would be any different, unless they changed the battery vendor somewhere along the way?

reshwitz

Ready to race!
My OEM Varta battery made it to 3 years. I could tell it was on its way out due to the longer cranking times. I made the decision to replace it when it didn't have enough juice to crank over the engine on a cold day.

No KESSY here.

$150 is a bit much for a new battery but at least you get a decent warranty. That's what you're paying extra for basically.

goose1

Ready to race!
4 years and 50k and my OEM battery is still strong from freezing to 95 degree days

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Happened to my MK6 two -three years in.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My OEM battery died around 4 years 40k miles. I replaced it with a Advanced Discount Battery and havent had one issue since.