GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rock Chip on Front Bumper - Best Fix?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I was doing a walk around on my car and I found a nasty little chip from what I'm assuming was a rock. It also left an extremely deep scratch under it. It is smack in the middle of the bottom of the front bumper. Would this be an easy fix for a body shop or would I need a whole new front bumper? It looks a lot worse in person.

Here is a screenshot of the damage:
http://prnt.sc/bm9b7e
http://prnt.sc/bm9bgo

JoeCap

Ready to race!
Something like that a body shop could fix. It would just be sanding, bondo, sanding, primer, sand, and then paint and clear. But for how small it is, I can't imagine it would be worth whatever amount you'll shell out to fix it.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
You could probably get the supplies and fix it yourself. It may not come out perfect but considering the size of the chip, i think it would be difficult to even notice.

And I could be wrong but that looks like its on the bumper insert, not the bumper itself. If thats the case, you can get the insert for a hell of a lot cheaper than the bumper.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Something like that a body shop could fix. It would just be sanding, bondo, sanding, primer, sand, and then paint and clear. But for how small it is, I can't imagine it would be worth whatever amount you'll shell out to fix it.

Yeah it's definitely not going to be cheap. Just from personal experience I'd let it slide.

Story time! My last VW ('08 Rabbit) had a nasty pea-sized paint chip down to he metal at the edge of my hood which was starting to rust over. And being OCD about my car I had trouble not staring at that one spot every single damn time I walked back to it in a parking lot. I eventually snapped and took it to a body shop for a quote. Let's just say that the price they gave me allowed reality to set back in and help me calm down about the whole stupid thing.

Well about a year later a freak accident ends up happening and a big chunk of concrete comes flying right onto my windshield in the middle of the highway. My windshield got badly chipped (miraculously didn't crack), the hood and right fender got scratched up (from the debris rolling off after hitting the windshield), and the front grille broke apart. Long story short my comprehensive insurance coverage made the car look brand new again.

I guess I learned not to freak out about small things like that anymore because you never really know what'll happen later down the line. You might end up paying to have it repaired for nothing, because another bad thing might end up happening in the same damn spot. And all that money and effort would've gone to waste.