GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wonky mirror switch....

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The mirror switch has been acting up intermittently for a while, but after a bit of trying & cussing it would work. Well as of last Thursday it isn't. I've found the oem switch for $80-ish, & an aftermarket one for $25. I'm tempted to cheap out for this part. What do you folks think?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Well decided to save some money & ordered the aftermarket switch. I guess I'll find out if that was a foolish choice. Stay tuned for the result.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Good luck! Sorry for lack of replies but I had nothing useful to offer up haha.

I've had good luck w/ cheaper stuff so I bet you'll be fine. How often are you tinkering with your mirrors?! I haven't touched mine in years :).

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Good luck! Sorry for lack of replies but I had nothing useful to offer up haha.

I've had good luck w/ cheaper stuff so I bet you'll be fine. How often are you tinkering with your mirrors?! I haven't touched mine in years :).

To be honest I don't adjust them much. Although my wife used my car a couple of times the last couple of weeks & I'm sure he tweaked them each time she drove it. Maybe I should have her pay for the part. On second thought that's a bad idea.

I'm not very worried about the quality of the part. If it turns out it breaks sooner than later it is a small price to pay for this experiment.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I went with a cheap window switch instead of an oem switch a while back. It doesn't look oem, but it's only really obvious if you put an oem switch next to it. It works just fine, but when I press the driver window switch down it falls into the slot a little bit. You'll probably have a similar experience. It'll work just fine, looks might be slightly off, fitment might be slightly off.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I should have the part tomorrow & this weekend I'll swap it in. I'll post up to let you know it does the job & looks OK. I'm looking out the windshield when I drive so I won't notice it the look is off a bit.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Well my made in China switch arrived yesterday. Popped it in today. No happy ending it appears my mirror is the problem & not the switch. The mirror adjusts left, right & down OK. It will not raise up, that part will remain manual & the rest of the mirror partly power.

Edit, the OEM switch is also made in China. So the VW GTI is a world car I guess.

Last edited: