GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No R20 for US :(

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
I went back to my dealership to get my plates and had a long talk with their sales manager and he said that VW is not going to bring R20 to US
(information was received at the VW meeting) ......
but there is hope for one special VW since VW bought Porsche maybe theres going to be Porsche inspired GTI lets all hope for that one!

Nolte

Fear my Stock Ride Height
No offense, but the folks who work at dealerships don't know anything about upcoming products.

He probably figured he could sell you a new car now if he could talk you out of waiting. That's his job you know -- it's like the flirty waitress, she isn't actually interested in you, she's just trying to get a bigger tip.

That's sales 101 my friend.

rickerbr

Ready to race!
It's supposedly still under consideration. It wasn't announced at the LA Auto show, and likely won't be at Detroit or Chicago. At this point it looks like the earliest we would see it here is late 2010 as a 2011 car. Would be a hell of a lot easier to be patient if I had any faith that VWoA was still enthusiast oriented, but I've given up hope on that since the on again off again Scirocco. I am afraid that Jacoby is well on his way making decisions that will ultimately destroy VW as a brand in the US, but time will tell.

spretsnijev

Passed Driver's Ed
No offense, but the folks who work at dealerships don't know anything about upcoming products.

He probably figured he could sell you a new car now if he could talk you out of waiting. That's his job you know -- it's like the flirty waitress, she isn't actually interested in you, she's just trying to get a bigger tip.

That's sales 101 my friend.

Haha, so true! When i bought mine, i had some simple 'technical' questions regarding the US vs Euro specs (foglights etc). He had no knowledge what so ever about it...

path

Ready to race!
tough to fault the dealers...half the people who troll here enthusiasts, and should be expected to know more

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
"I'm looking into my crystal ball as we speak... and hope still looks good in our favor." My CB is never been wrong yet.

It's true dealers have no clue and yes they will sell you anything they can "to make a deal!"

csmkv

Speeder
I think this one might be true. At least three people I noticed and heard have reported the same thing---there was a meeting among managers/financial manager from VW dealerships that informed them that there will be no R20 coming in short... NOT under a situation which these guys were going to purchase something from the dealer, but simply service thihng, etc...

path

Ready to race!
^ i don't understand what you mean?

are you saying that you know some people who work at a VW dealership who attended a meeting at which someone from VAG said that there are no plans to bring the R to North America anytime soon, and the reason R part numbers are starting to pop-up at dealerships is because they want the service departments to be prepared in case one is bought in or they are imported in the future?

(wow, that is a log sentence...i think it is grammatically correct too!)

woofie2

Ready to race!
I had a long talk with a service manager back in July, 2009, he was pretty sure there was not going to be a 3 Door Golf or GTI, the Scirocco, and the TDI were not coming to the US.

He said when he was at the Auto Show in New York they were offering the Scirocco, TDI, GTD and GTI, but with the economy going downhill. That VW was not going to bring both the Audi A3 and the TDI Golf to the US, they were not going to have production space for both, so they were only bringing the Audi A3. Along the same lines the Scirocco was not US bound because because it would compete for the same buyers.
I came home and emailed Steve Keys with VW Press & customer relations, he said the VW Golf TDI was coming and suggested a dealer that could place an order for me. :thumbup:

Goes to show you always check what a Dealer tells you is a fact. I am driving a 3-door Golf TDI now and loving it.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
As far as what i read online and bunch of reviews i thought that R20 will be in US by fall of 2010. I wasnt going to wait till then neither wasnt i sure about the whole R20 deal being true so i got myself a GTI which im more than happy with.

About two days ago when i went back to the dealership where i got my GTI from, i talked to their sales manager and he told me that he was at the meeting (sorry guys i dont really know what meeting he was talking about) and VW is not bring R20 to US at all and since VW bought Porsche, (his personal opinion) there might be Porsche inspired GTI in many years from now but not R20 and not anytime soon...

Dont know who to believe or anything but my hope will never die to drive the R20 one day!
Till then im going to save up for some coilovers and some BBS wheels and enjoy my GTI

woofie2

Ready to race!
Eh, there's really no point to getting worked up on speculation. It'll come when it comes !
I was going to be really pissed if they bring the GTD to the US, especially after the hoops I went through to get my 2010 Golf TDI.

Then everyone gets to talking about the cost of sending a new motor through EPA testing and MPG testing, and I can see why VW wants to use the same motor in as many cars as they can,
2.5L, the 2.0T and the 2.0TDI look like they will not be expanding for a while at least. If they were going to bring the GTD the Audi A3 would have used the 170HP TDI motor from the GTD.
I am not sure if the R20 would have a different motor configuration or software package than the GTI, but I am sure they would like a few extra ponies for it. Only time will tell.

csmkv

Speeder
^ i don't understand what you mean?

are you saying that you know some people who work at a VW dealership who attended a meeting at which someone from VAG said that there are no plans to bring the R to North America anytime soon, and the reason R part numbers are starting to pop-up at dealerships is because they want the service departments to be prepared in case one is bought in or they are imported in the future?

(wow, that is a log sentence...i think it is grammatically correct too!)

Your sentence is just not understandable as mine :laugh:

Neither did you have a grammatically correct sentence...