GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT-RS/Golf R master cylinder

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I'm back with what I believe to be a meaningful update.

After 3 days of being told "tomorrow" I decided to re-flare the union myself. I bled the system like crazy and when I attempted the VCDS procedure again it never told me to open the bleeder valves. So I took a drive the brake pedal is vastly improved but there is still just a slight mush to the first bit of travel, and for some reason every time I get to the end of my drive way the pedal seems to be longer and lower than any other stop???

Any how, I steam cleaned the reservoir and the lines and made sure there was no fluid on anything and could easily identify a leak if there is one. I had a local car x willing to give it a 2nd look and they weren't able to find any leaks in the system.

I called VCDS today and chatted with them for a bit. Initially just to see why the system never told me to open the valves...

In the Touareg there actually is a 12v vacuum pump between the vacuum source and the booster to ensure that there is always sufficient vacuum and they believe this may be required here also due to the added volume of the booster. They also noted that the Touareg's do have a softer and notably lower pedal than the GTI to begin with so while I may improve the feel I'll likely never see the same firmness as I was able to achieve with the GTI booster and the TTRS MC. I'll let you all know if I take any additional steps to improve feel from here but as of now I'm in a really good place with this setup.

zrickety

The Fixer
Our cars already have a vacuum pump. Do you mean a bigger one?

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Our cars already have a vacuum pump. Do you mean a bigger one?

As it was explained to me there is a dedicated vacuum pump directly off the booster in line to the intake manifold of the Touareg, If pressure drops below a certain point this pump would engage to ensure consistent vacuum. My plan was to mimic this setup in the GTI.

Your post got me thinking so I started doing some additional reading. This link explains the difference between open and closed loop systems. I believe our system in the GTI is an open loop where as the Touareg system is closed loop. So making this function properly may be a bit more involved that no had hoped.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_257.pdf

I may just leave well enough alone as the engagement point is pretty much spot on now that I have a truly sealed system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
SUCCESS!!!!

So I feel like an ass hat for all the crap I've posted and time spent trying to figure out how to improve the pedal feel. Today we got the bright idea to crack open the lines at the MC and low and behold AIR! How that happens after pushing all the fluid I've pushed through the system with the power bleeder is beyond me but pedal is good now. Just a light softness at engagement and then firms up like your pushing against a brick wall if you really stand on them. So I attribute my undetected union leak and air trapped in the MC for all my heart ache on this.

So I don't intend on going forward with the stand alone vacuum pump for the booster at this point. With this setup the brake pedal and the gas pedal seem to sit at the exact same height. I prefer the brake pedal to be just a bit higher so I'm probably going to 3D print a shim to it between the pedal and the locking clip for the booster push rod. I'll have to modify the clip a bit but no rush on all this. Right now I'm just happy to finally have what I was looking for with the feel of this pedal [emoji106]

clownish

just clowning around
You have me wondering if I needed to double check my lines at the booster because I've always felt like it was a bit softer than I expected even with the trrs mc. Worth checking this spring when i flush the fluids and refresh pads and rotors [emoji849] car has been sitting for winter only a month and i am already super antsy

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Finally , I am glad you got it all figured out [emoji119]

Thanks I'm pretty ecstatic right now!

You have me wondering if I needed to double check my lines at the booster because I've always felt like it was a bit softer than I expected even with the trrs mc. Worth checking this spring when i flush the fluids and refresh pads and rotors [emoji849] car has been sitting for winter only a month and i am already super antsy

Definitely worth a check my pedal was pretty firm with that MC

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
The more I drive the happier I am with the Touareg parts swap.

My only complaint at the moment is my shoe catches the corner of the brake pedal when transitioning from brake to gas pedal. So that 3D printed spacer will be in my future.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The more I drive the happier I am with the Touareg parts swap.

My only complaint at the moment is my shoe catches the corner of the brake pedal when transitioning from brake to gas pedal. So that 3D printed spacer will be in my future.

You're missing a pedal

MacRadiators

Passed Driver's Ed
So in the end what pieces did you end up putting on your car?
Touareg MC + brake booster?
Everything is direct bolt on?

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So in the end what pieces did you end up putting on your car?
Touareg MC + brake booster?
Everything is direct bolt on?

I have a RHD Touareg booster and MC in my car. It isn't exactly a bolt on but it isn't too difficult now that I know what I'm doing. Read through my DIY and you can get an idea of whether it's something you would want to do or not.