GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 99K miles What would you do?

Hey guys. 2012 GTI, 99K miles, Dreaded tensioner fail, catastrophic engine failure. #1 piston has holes in it, shrapnel all throughout. Boat anchor now.
I'm a shadetree mechanic, which means I can follow directions and take things apart well. As long as I take the old one out and put the new part back on within a reasonable timeframe (couple days) I can manage. If there are show-stoppers, I can get stuck for a while.
Used motor is $2K and up, average. Installation at local mom and pop shop is roughly $2-$2500. So, $4500 all-in and I owe $2500 on it. Which really means $7K into it in the end. Shop offered me $2500 for the car as is. Of course then I will need a new car and I love this GTI!....

So three options:

1. Get it fixed for $4500 and be all-in at $7000

2. Buy a used motor and incidentals for $2500 and try to do it myself, with some decently capable friends. I have a one-car garage and jack stands. Also I am a full time college student which means in a week I'll have a month and a half off to focus on this project.

3. Sell it to shop for what I owe, $2500, clean break, be done with it. Buy winter beater

Thanks for your help, I'm on the fence with what to do next...

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If you can do the used engine yourself with friends i'd do that for sure. It would be nice to just be done with it and get a MK7 though. 2015s are getting pretty affordable now, seeing them now for 15k sometimes.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm with you man, love the MK7, but I was almost out of this car payment! Looking to minimize expenses here!
One of my concerns is, can I do the motor? I've heard all sides, some say it's extremely difficult to do, others say it's manageable. My skill levels are strictly average....

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I'd keep it, save up to build the motor. In the meantime by a beater and save your pennies to go balls to the walls on it. That's what I would do lol

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got enough pennies in my other VW, this is my daily driver! I need this to get me around reliably.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Definitely don't sell it to the shop as-is...that would be a huge waste. You could fix it yourself and sell it for 10k, pay the car off and then have money leftover for a down payment

2015s are getting pretty affordable now, seeing them now for 15k sometimes.

I have yet to see a MK7 under 20 grand here, even with some mileage.

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
I know there’s a lot of diys on this. Since you’re a college student (like myself) do the research for this project after your finals and grind it out during winter break. I love my GTI and if I was any good with a wrench I’d be all over it lol. Having no car payment is a dream. If you have the time, resources, friends, even maybe ask your regional forum for some spare help if someone has expierence with it.. I’d go for the repair myself.
Beats being down $7000 and getting rid of a car when you’re almost there paying for it..

Go with the force.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Drop a new motor in, these cars are pretty simple and not very hard to work on in terms of getting the engine out/separating the transmission.

zrickety

The Fixer
You can swap an engine...I don't know if you can bring it up through the bottom, but even if you need to buy a cherry picker you'll be ahead of the game. It's just unplugging wires, disconnect some hoses, unbolt a few things, and it's out.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks so much guys for the votes of confidence! I appreciate the push. Today is pretty much decision time, so I'm still weighing the options. A local shop is going to give me a quote, and if it's anywhere over $4K (which it will be!) I'm going to say screw it and run it myself. And like you all said, F that $2500 offer, so yeah, F that! I'll keep you informed. Keep the posts rolling in...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
If you have a few buddies that are capable and a month and a half to do it, buy a used engine and throw it in. You can buy an engine jack for less than 200 from harbor freight. It's honestly not that bad of a job to put a new engine in. Pull the front end off, then pull the engine and trans together, separate the engine from the trans off the car and attach the new engine to the trans and put it back in. Could have it done in a weekend or two depending on how quick you guys work.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Definitely don't sell it to the shop as-is...that would be a huge waste. You could fix it yourself and sell it for 10k, pay the car off and then have money leftover for a down payment

I have yet to see a MK7 under 20 grand here, even with some mileage.

MK7 are around 17K-19K for '15s and 2016's are around 20K now. Seriously considering it.

Wonder how much a used MK7 engine would cost.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies everyone. Let's stir it up a bit. Got a firm sales offer of $4500 as-is from a shop that would flip it after doing the work. So, that changes it a little or no? I have the weekend to go back and forth and all over the place some more! It's tempting to sell it for that price.....

webbry4

Ready to race!
Not a bad price at $4500 but I'd still like to fix it especially with you being almost paid off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk