GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 07-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #15
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Here are some pics of the ECS Subframe collar and H&R 26mm Front swaybar install. The subframe collar kit eliminated the clunk noise I felt going over inclines and overall completely tightened up the chassis. Car feels so much better. I will say that the instructions that came with the ECS kit are top notch. It also came with all the stretch bolts I needed. For as much shit as we may give ECS Tuning, they definitely hit the mark with this kit.

* Just a disclaimer, this job was an absolute pain in the ass, especially aligning the subframe/control arm to chassis bolt holes. Glad it's over with. *

You can see exactly where the subframe was shifting on the driver side.

Same side with collar and Audi bolt now installed.

The way I kept track of all the different subframe bolts.

Subframe and new swaybar installed.

In other news, I'm changing up brake pads for track days. These are the R8 compound, I'll let you guys know some feedback on them soon.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, ECS Subframe collar kit, G-LOC GS-1 / R8 Pads, Centric Blank Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama AD08R's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 09-04-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:43 AM   #16
Blaznjoe
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI 2-D CSG
Nice build thread! Is there a specific part number for the Rennline Heel/Toe pedal extension? Id like to try this out.
GIAC Stage 2e40|SPM Street DP|SACHS Performance Coilovers|VOLK ZE40's|Neuspeed BBK,Pulley,P-Flo,TOP,FMIC,CBE,SS brakelines,& ShortShifter|Whiteline ALK|Hotchkis F & R Swaybars|Autotech Rotors|Hawk Pads|EuroSport X-Brace|TyrolSport DS SF C Kits|GFB DV+|SB.S2.SMFW|Wavetrac|Michelin PSS|Podi|ECS CatchCan www.kopropo.com/america/
Blaznjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #17
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznjoe View Post
Nice build thread! Is there a specific part number for the Rennline Heel/Toe pedal extension? Id like to try this out.
Here's the link for the heel toe extensions: Clicky

Here's some video from the Fall HPDE event at VIR last week.
https://youtu.be/w8a9LEAIFUQ

https://youtu.be/0WOWP5ZLObQ
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, ECS Subframe collar kit, G-LOC GS-1 / R8 Pads, Centric Blank Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama AD08R's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
Blaznjoe
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI 2-D CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_B View Post
Here's the link for the heel toe extensions: Clicky

Here's some video from the Fall HPDE event at VIR last week.
https://youtu.be/w8a9LEAIFUQ

https://youtu.be/0WOWP5ZLObQ
Thanks! I guess they are one-size fits most type of adapter. Did you have to drill through the OEM GTI gas pedal? I'm curious as the instructions (pictures) are vague.

I also watched your video of you chasing and passing the M3. Really cool
GIAC Stage 2e40|SPM Street DP|SACHS Performance Coilovers|VOLK ZE40's|Neuspeed BBK,Pulley,P-Flo,TOP,FMIC,CBE,SS brakelines,& ShortShifter|Whiteline ALK|Hotchkis F & R Swaybars|Autotech Rotors|Hawk Pads|EuroSport X-Brace|TyrolSport DS SF C Kits|GFB DV+|SB.S2.SMFW|Wavetrac|Michelin PSS|Podi|ECS CatchCan www.kopropo.com/america/
Blaznjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #19
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
Great build, I am just now seeing it. Very similar to my car but I'm missing the LSD. I wouldn't bother with the catch can, but have you thought about a subframe mount? I've run the red HPA on a previous GTI, it was excellent. This car came with an insert, I have VWR mounts waiting to go in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Great build, I am just now seeing it. Very similar to my car but I'm missing the LSD. I wouldn't bother with the catch can, but have you thought about a subframe mount? I've run the red HPA on a previous GTI, it was excellent. This car came with an insert, I have VWR mounts waiting to go in.
I've thought about it, and keep going back and forth on it. Did you run the stock dogbone with the HPA mount? NVH bad?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Newbie

Figured I'd post some feedback about track pads from this past season. I also posted this in the Track Brake Pads Thread, but want to include it here in case people don't follow that thread...

I run the following brake setup:
Stoptech/Centric High Carbon Blank Rotors
G-LOC GS-1 Compound Pads (Street)
G-LOC R8 Compound Pads (Track)
Tyrolsport Brake Bushing Kit
Removed dust shields
Motul RBF600 Fluid

I can't say enough good things about the G-Loc pads. The R8 compound performed flawlessly over a pretty grueling 2-day track event at VIR earlier this month. There are two high speed (130+mph) braking zones in each lap, with many lighter braking zones in between, and I didn't notice any pad fade during any 30 minute sessions. Very little wear during that event, and they are easy on the rotors. These pads even do well at low temps on the street, but the noise they generate is pretty intense. Because of that, I run the GS-1 compound on the street, which is compatible with the R8 on the same rotors. The GS-1 pads have a very similar coefficient of friction as the R8 in cold temps (maybe even slightly higher) and are quite easy to modulate. I really enjoy running them daily. So far they are quiet with less dust than the OEM or Stoptech Street pads I've ran in the past.

A few notes:
Bedding procedure is critical for the R8 compound pads. I tried to bed them in on the street, but wasn't able to get enough heat in them. They did properly bed in during my first session on track, which caused me to lose half a session so I could let them cool. Because of this, I would recommend getting them pre-bed from G-LOC. This is to bring the pad up to temperature to properly off-gas the pad material.

I've reached the limits of Motul RBF600 and find that I need to bleed my brakes at the end of each track day (meaning I'm boiling the fluid). I will need to upgrade next season to either RBF660 or Castrol SRF.

Can't wait for next season!! Schedule was just released.