GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaky Clutch

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
My clutch pedal has developed a squeak when depressing the clutch which has became very annoying as it is quite loud when the radio is off. I'm 80% sure its not anything to do with the actual clutch and that it is actually the pedal thats causing the squeak as it sounds like it is coming from inside the car. Anyone else have this issue? I have 35,600 miles on my car currently so I might just bring it in within the next 400 miles and have them take care of it. Besides that though the car has been bullet proof for the past 35,000 miles. *knock on wood*

Video added below.

Last edited:

aamar517

Ready to race!
Omg I have the same thing with my car. The stupid pedal squeaks like crazy. I was thinking of trying to spray WD-40 up in there to see if it would shut it up. Let me know what the dealer tells you. Whenever I don't get my regular manager that I talk to they never want to help me with little things like this. Always want me to pay. I just leave and ask for someone who will help me.

cptboris

Does it squeak when you depress AND let off the clutch? I had a similar sound on mine (started around 30k) when the engine was cold and I was letting off the clutch. It turned out to be a known issue with early manual mk6 gtis (cheap TOB) - replaced under warranty.

fanclerks

Ready to race!
This is an interesting one since I've sometimes heard a squealing from the clutch area a few times with the window down. I think it's the clutch cause it sounds like its spinning slightly.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Does it squeak when you depress AND let off the clutch? I had a similar sound on mine (started around 30k) when the engine was cold and I was letting off the clutch. It turned out to be a known issue with early manual mk6 gtis (cheap TOB) - replaced under warranty.

Did they just replace the TOB or did they replace the whole clutch when they warrantied it?

It happens when both depressing and letting off the clutch and only happens in the winter time when the temps are colder. I'm really hoping its not the TOB as I'm sure it would be a fight to have them replace it under warranty. My build date on my car is Oct 09 so it is an early 2010.

I will keep you guys updated, I hope to drop the car off Tuesday.

Last edited:

cptboris

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28837

Refer to this thread to see if you have the TOB issue. The handbrake test (detailed somewhere in the thread) should exacerbate the sound/frequency if it truly is the TOB.

If after reading this you still think it's the TOB, bring it in to the dealer and refer them to TB 2028783. My dealer replaced my clutch assembly (clutch, TOB, and some other stuff...), and gear shift unit. Others have had their flywheels replaced as well. If the dealer gives you the runaround, just stand your ground since this is a known, documented issue with our cars and should be covered under warranty free-of-charge.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
After watching a couple TOB videos I'm pretty sure that is not my problem. The pedal itself is squeaking like a rusty door that needs to be oiled but just to be safe I'm gonna try the handbrake test to see if anything happens.

Video Added not sure how to embed the video though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lffzj1hDnZI

Last edited:

dannysays

I had this EXACT problem two weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire clutch for free. Seemed to be an issue with the pressure plate. Gotta love VW service.

2010 GTI CGS // APR Carbinio Stage 1 //

aamar517

Ready to race!
Oooh that kinda squeak. I fixed mine under warranty but the actual pedal is making a squeaky noise in my car now. Like the first inch of travel or so. Drives me nuts.

itzdatkpn

After watching a couple TOB videos I'm pretty sure that is not my problem. The pedal itself is squeaking like a rusty door that needs to be oiled but just to be safe I'm gonna try the handbrake test to see if anything happens.

Video Added not sure how to embed the video though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lffzj1hDnZI

omg I have the SAME exact issue. Were you able to figure out what was wrong? I will not be able to get to the dealer for a couple of weeks...:mad:

This squeak is driving me crazy.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Went to the dealer and the day I decide to go the clutch is perfect. Figures, well lucky for me I had the video to show the service advisor and ask him to fix it. Turns out it was just a clutch pedal bushing that needed some grease. He said the fix was a little bit of silicone spray. The clutch pedal seems to be fine now. If it happens again ill just fix it myself but I had to go to the dealer for some other issues at the time so I just added it to the list.

qshashaa

Ready to race!
I had the same issue, dealer fixed it under warranty. The problem is the clutch slave cylinder. For my car, the tech first lubed the clutch pedal contacts and the clutch slave cylinder housing however after he road tested it the noise came back so he ended up replacing it and bled my clutch system. When I got the car back the car felt brand new, the pedal being so much easier to press and very smooth.

drodrigues09

Ready to race!
Ive had this happen to me last year and this year and believe it or not, its the change of season I think. This happened to me both times around the spring. Kind of works the same way as like in the winter when you hear a lot more rattles and creaking.