GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Valve Cleaning in detail (Get Rid of That Carbon!)

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
So... I just did this today to my car, BUT got a question perhaps someone could chime in...

I kept having cyl4 misfire so I just changed cyl4 injector and then did this cleaning procedure. All went well and put back together, however now I am having this 1 pronounced tick while idle. Car drives better, smoother and more power however that ticking noise worries me. It is more pronounced than the typical valve ticking. It sounds louder and sounds like a pacer.

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
sub'd, can you maybe add some expanded info with pics for removal to get to your valves?

for the less mechanically inclined

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
So... I just did this today to my car, BUT got a question perhaps someone could chime in...

I kept having cyl4 misfire so I just changed cyl4 injector and then did this cleaning procedure. All went well and put back together, however now I am having this 1 pronounced tick while idle. Car drives better, smoother and more power however that ticking noise worries me. It is more pronounced than the typical valve ticking. It sounds louder and sounds like a pacer.

Ok here I've added the video for sound... for some reason it doesn't sound that loud here but it is loud... the taping sound in the back ground. Sounds like the electrical spark starter of a stove.

Didn't have this taping before the valve cleaning... maybe its because I only swapped out 1 injector???

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Ok here I've added the video for sound... for some reason it doesn't sound that loud here but it is loud... the taping sound in the back ground. Sounds like the electrical spark starter of a stove.

Didn't have this taping before the valve cleaning... maybe its because I only swapped out 1 injector???

The tapping has nothing to do with the valve cleaning, but probably has to do with a loose part upon the re-installation of the intake manifold and throttle body. Can you isolate where the tapping is coming from? Hold a long screwdriver up to the engine block (metal end) and put your ear to the handle - does the tapping get alot louder in your ear? If so, then you may have a head issue. If not, it is probably something you did upon re-installation of all of the parts you took off.

How is your fuel economy after the injector replacement? You don't smell gas when you have the hood up, do you?

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
The tapping has nothing to do with the valve cleaning, but probably has to do with a loose part upon the re-installation of the intake manifold and throttle body. Can you isolate where the tapping is coming from? Hold a long screwdriver up to the engine block (metal end) and put your ear to the handle - does the tapping get alot louder in your ear? If so, then you may have a head issue. If not, it is probably something you did upon re-installation of all of the parts you took off.

How is your fuel economy after the injector replacement? You don't smell gas when you have the hood up, do you?

No smell of gas, and the car drives great! and fuel economy got better than before (probably because of new injector and cleaning? )

Anyhow, drove the car about 400 miles so far and no cel either... just the ticking annoys me a lot when i'm next to a wall like my garage or a drive through....

I did have injector 2 get stuck on the fuel rail and when I seat it back on the block, I didn't change the o rings because I didn't have any.. maybe thats making the injector tick?

No visible leaks.

Interesting is that when I open the hood and try to hear closer where the tick is coming from, I can't hear the ticking. Only hear it while standing next to the car with hood down, however for sure it is from the engine bay.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I was going to say evap valve. I think the ticking is normal, but if your's got alot louder after the cleaning/reassembly, you should take a second look at it. Try unplugging it and see if it goes away (you will get a cel).

Do you have vagcom?

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeup, I do have vagcom.

This is interesting topic... Most people on the forums state that it is normal and perfectly functioning fine and that the ticking is the symptom of a healthy n80 valve! LOL but when I compared this ticking to all my friends VW's, NONE of them tick as loud.

Yes, I do have vagcom and will unplug later see if the ticking goes away and if it does, I will have the dealer replace the n80 under warranty :happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

To all this, did I miss reseting something with vagcom after connecting the battery? on my previous car I needed to align the throttle position and the butterfly position after a battery disconnect...

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Yeup, I do have vagcom.

This is interesting topic... Most people on the forums state that it is normal and perfectly functioning fine and that the ticking is the symptom of a healthy n80 valve! LOL but when I compared this ticking to all my friends VW's, NONE of them tick as loud.

Yes, I do have vagcom and will unplug later see if the ticking goes away and if it does, I will have the dealer replace the n80 under warranty :happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

To all this, did I miss reseting something with vagcom after connecting the battery? on my previous car I needed to align the throttle position and the butterfly position after a battery disconnect...

No, no vagcom resets needed apart from any CELs from disassembly. Post back on what you find with the n80 valve!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
One major thing missed is covering the opening in the injector while its in the head of your cleaning valves. When carbon debris falls in the hole and clogs up an injector you'll be pissed buying a new one and taking it all back apart again to replace it.