GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

importing a golf R from Quebec questions

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
i found an golf r in quebec at a reputable dealership, but when i asked them if the vehicle comes with safety and e-test, the sales guy i was talking back and fourth about this car told me that such tests don't get done in Quebec.

so to my fellow canadians from Quebec, is that true?? when one buys a car and transfers it on his name a sefety and etest is NOT needed??? that is hard to believe as here in Ontario both of those are needed in order to transfer it onto whoever's name and also taxes have to be paid too.

so can someone shine some light over this issues im having?

thx

nik

Go Kart Champion
I assume to get Quebec tags youre okay. But to plate it in Ontario you'll need to get those done on your dime here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Based on their response the QC Dealer has no clue how to sell to an Ontario Resident.

Nik is basically correct with his statement, but you can approach the QC Dealer to ask them to have the car delivered by a Ontario Dealer, they should have a list of Ontario Dealers that they have done business in the past. There maybe some push back due to the extra cost of delivery and who will pay the costs. You maybe asked to pay a part of the costs but if they want to sell the car to you that is the best approach. My cousin followed this method when he purchased his BMW and it worked great.

Going to Quebec and buying the car and driving it back is an option as well but you open yourself to problems and additional cost with passing Safety and the Emissions Test. If you have an OBD Scanner that has the Red, Yellow and Green indicators for emissions readiness; if you get a green light you can be about 95% sure it will pass the Emissions Test. Shop around for a "trusted shop" to do the safety check before you choose this route.

Good Luck!

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Based on their response the QC Dealer has no clue how to sell to an Ontario Resident.

Nik is basically correct with his statement, but you can approach the QC Dealer to ask them to have the car delivered by a Ontario Dealer, they should have a list of Ontario Dealers that they have done business in the past. There maybe some push back due to the extra cost of delivery and who will pay the costs. You maybe asked to pay a part of the costs but if they want to sell the car to you that is the best approach. My cousin followed this method when he purchased his BMW and it worked great.

Going to Quebec and buying the car and driving it back is an option as well but you open yourself to problems and additional cost with passing Safety and the Emissions Test. If you have an OBD Scanner that has the Red, Yellow and Green indicators for emissions readiness; if you get a green light you can be about 95% sure it will pass the Emissions Test. Shop around for a "trusted shop" to do the safety check before you choose this route.

Good Luck!

hi and thanks for teh response. if i were to buy it i'd choose the route of driving it back as i dont want to pay extra for delivery.

the dealer did say that he'll provide everything needed in order to have a smooth transition at Ministry of Transportation here in ONtario.

this is what he wrote me:

I’ve been doing this a long time and vehicles within Quebec do not need a safety or e test when being purchased from a dealer or privately. If a vehicle is imported into Quebec then yes it will need a provincial safety inspection however when sold within Quebec there is no government requirements.

We do provide all the necessary requirements for you to plate the vehicle in Ontario as well as a temporary plate.

unie01

subscribed to this thread

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
hi and thanks for teh response. if i were to buy it i'd choose the route of driving it back as i dont want to pay extra for delivery.

the dealer did say that he'll provide everything needed in order to have a smooth transition at Ministry of Transportation here in ONtario.

this is what he wrote me:

I’ve been doing this a long time and vehicles within Quebec do not need a safety or e test when being purchased from a dealer or privately. If a vehicle is imported into Quebec then yes it will need a provincial safety inspection however when sold within Quebec there is no government requirements.

We do provide all the necessary requirements for you to plate the vehicle in Ontario as well as a temporary plate.
Hi, have you seen the car personally? Where is the car located? You should have a Prepurchase Inspection (PPI) done buy a Mechanic before you sign anything. The purchase agreement in Ontario is written on the side of the Dealer and in Quebec it is even more one sided, so it is Buyer Beware times 2.

Good Luck !

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Ontario is pretty much the only province that does etests and safeties in most provinces are only required when you bring a car from another province, not every time you change owners like Ontario. For this reason you are probably on your own to pay for the safety and etest, odds are they wont even have facilities in Quebec that will be qualified to do it. Would not surprise me one bit if the Quebec dealer had never heard of it.
Your best bet is probably to temporary plate it, drive it home, and have the tests done back in Ontario.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Ontario is pretty much the only province that does etests and safeties in most provinces are only required when you bring a car from another province, not every time you change owners like Ontario. For this reason you are probably on your own to pay for the safety and etest, odds are they wont even have facilities in Quebec that will be qualified to do it. Would not surprise me one bit if the Quebec dealer had never heard of it.
Your best bet is probably to temporary plate it, drive it home, and have the tests done back in Ontario.

well they DID say that they will provide a temporary plate for me to drive it home.

they also sent me a bunch of extra pictures of the car, but you know how it is, it's much better if you see the car in person (bummer that i'm 7 hours away)...

i wish i knew someone in Montreal that could go and see this car and confirm the condition as the dealer is stating that it is in....

maybe some forum member from here that lives closer enough to this dealership in Montreal could be nice enough and do me a favour and go and check it out for me and give his 0.02 cents opinion about this car, i would REALLY appreciate it.

here's the link on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/volkswag...wCpo&ursrc=hl&orup=4_15_18&pc=N2K 3S7&sprx=-1

davisharr

Go Kart Champion

Looks very nice! I would be a little worried about how much winter driving it has seen as Quebec winters can be even more harsh than Ontario winters, if you do go see it look very close for rust and such. Also always wondered why Quebec cars are SOOO cheap, the dealership I used to work at in B.C. would list a car like that for probably close to $32k and have a lineup of people desperate to buy it by the end of the week.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
i talked to the sales guy on the phone today and apparently the car is a ONE owner who bought it NEW from the USA (as he really wanted a 2 DR version), as here in canada they only came in 4 dr. version.

the car is really good condition (no rust at all) as it's been barely driven in the winter;

it's also got some mods while he owned it. its got a unitronic stage 2 tune, upgraded clutch as well as a CTS downpipe which is CATLESS.

so my question is, will it pass emissions here in ontario if it's got a stage 2 tune, especially with a downpipe that has no catalytic converter.

i also know they don't do the SNIFF test anymore nowadays and that they only do OBDII port read, so my only concern would be if it will pass READINESS??

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
i also know they don't do the SNIFF test anymore nowadays and that they only do OBDII port read, so my only concern would be if it will pass READINESS??

If it was done in the way where they put a spacer with a tiny cat on second 02 sensor you could be good. Depends on how thorough they are with visual inspection. However a lot of stage 2 tunes essentially "turn off" second 02 sensor, and though it does not show a CEL, I do not think it will pass readiness. This is how my car is done, and it is the most common method because usually people going catless are in non emission states/provinces.

When I lived in Ontario (3 years ago) they mostly just did readiness test, not very thorough visual, and only cars pre OBD2 got sniffer tests. So it was possible, though not easy to get a car with cats removed to pass.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
If it was done in the way where they put a spacer with a tiny cat on second 02 sensor you could be good. Depends on how thorough they are with visual inspection. However a lot of stage 2 tunes essentially "turn off" second 02 sensor, and though it does not show a CEL, I do not think it will pass readiness. This is how my car is done, and it is the most common method because usually people going catless are in non emission states/provinces.

When I lived in Ontario (3 years ago) they mostly just did readiness test, not very thorough visual, and only cars pre OBD2 got sniffer tests. So it was possible, though not easy to get a car with cats removed to pass.

they still do the same nowadays, as i took my GTI for emisions last year and all they did was readiness test and no visual at all.

so it looks like this golf R most likely will fail readiness because of stage 2, again i'm not 100% sure but chances are that i may fail.