GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning smell under acceleration

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

I seem to get a weird smell sometimes under heavy acceleration, most often when kicking down with the DSG or at higher RPM. It smells like burning, not like sulphur or anything like that and reminds me of my old 2000 plate fiesta that would do the same when struggling up a hill.

I've had exhaust manifold checked and no issues there, also had the secondary cat removed which seemed to fix the issue, but came back shortly after (could be related to the lack of wide open throttle use shortly after). I have no idea where to look to be honest, and not sure if it is something that will get worse or cause an issue over time.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Could it be the DSG (clutches etc) or simply dust in the cylinders?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Still got one cat?

Could be one is clogged .... Or still clogged

Does your engine burn any oil?

Sent from my stomach using remote control

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
Still got one cat?

Could be one is clogged .... Or still clogged

Does your engine burn any oil?

Yes still one cat, as far as oil goes I'm pretty sure it doesn't use an excessive amount (I'll double check the level tomorrow).

Any way to tell if it would be the cat?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Yes still one cat, as far as oil goes I'm pretty sure it doesn't use an excessive amount (I'll double check the level tomorrow).

Any way to tell if it would be the cat?

Okay .... So is it an OEM cat?

How many miles on the car?

When I pulled my downpipe of my old car at 100,000 miles the cat looked oily ....

I'd always get some strange sulfer smell, even when I deleted the pre-cat .... When tromping it of course ....

After full de-cat I had no more smell except when sitting at a light and having the fumes waft ....

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay .... So is it an OEM cat?

How many miles on the car?

When I pulled my downpipe of my old car at 100,000 miles the cat looked oily ....

I'd always get some strange sulfer smell, even when I deleted the pre-cat .... When tromping it of course ....

After full de-cat I had no more smell except when sitting at a light and having the fumes waft ....

Yes oem cat, 50k on the clock.

A full decat could be an option, but it's only really worth it if there is any loss in terms of mpg, acceleration etc from the issue.

Did you notice any difference?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Yes oem cat, 50k on the clock.

A full decat could be an option, but it's only really worth it if there is any loss in terms of mpg, acceleration etc from the issue.

Did you notice any difference?

Ummmm I don't ever really look at gas mileage ....

Full de-cat or a highflow would help .... Probably the high flow wouldn't make the smell anymore .... but also not allow any de-cat smell which is majorly annoying

Ya I dunno .... 50k isn't bad .... Is it something that started in the last while?

I doubt there would be loss of acceleration or gas mileage from doing a highflow ....

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
Ummmm I don't ever really look at gas mileage ....

Full de-cat or a highflow would help .... Probably the high flow wouldn't make the smell anymore .... but also not allow any de-cat smell which is majorly annoying

Ya I dunno .... 50k isn't bad .... Is it something that started in the last while?

I doubt there would be loss of acceleration or gas mileage from doing a highflow ....

Started fairly recently, maybe last 5k..

I know a high flow would probably help acceleration, but I meant would getting the full decat on the stock system make a difference (if there is an issue with the cat being blocked)?