GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metallic brushing sound

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi. I am getting a rhythmic brushing sound (i.e. it gets slower and faster as the car gets slower or faster) from the left front side. It is very minor--I can only hear it when I am driving next to a concrete divider or parked cars with the driver's window down. I was in a minor collision, and that front side knuckle, hub, and control arm was replaced.

There is no weird sound or vibration besides this minor noise. It can't be described as grinding or harsh. The closest way I can describe it as someone using a stiff brush on a hi-hat. I can't tell if the sound is any louder or softer as I turn, since the sound can be heard only when I'm next to a reflective surface.

Any clues? I'm visiting my trusty VW shop next week to get a carbon cleaning and will definitely ask them to check it, but thought I'd ask. There's lots of driving between now and next week.

Thanks

torga

Autocross Champion
Was the wheel bearing replaced with the hub? If not, that's the first thing I'd look at.

somerset91

Ready to race!
The wheel bearing was replaced, but I'm hoping the fact that the sound doesn't get noticeably louder at speed or when turning means the wheel bearing is fine. It's also not a constant sound but sounds like "tss----tss----tss----"

torga

Autocross Champion
Perhaps something is periodically scraping against the dust shield. That would get you a brushes on hi hat sound, for sure.
Check to make sure the brake disc clears the dust shield and that there's no obstruction.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Agree with others.

(1) Bent brake dust shield.
(2) Worn brake pad.
(3) Warped rotor + worn brake pad.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The wheel bearing was replaced, but I'm hoping the fact that the sound doesn't get noticeably louder at speed or when turning means the wheel bearing is fine. It's also not a constant sound but sounds like "tss----tss----tss----"
I recall thats how my left front wheel bearing sounded going down our laneway to the road, after a couple of years it morphed into a slight groan when i turned to the right slightly. When I was doing the R&R the bearing came apart hitting it with a hammer, looks like some rust in the bearing, not sure if it was from water getting in or from heat or both.

EDIT: I've heard but have not confirmed that rear bearings can get damaged when hammering off the rotors with a big hammer, so it maybe true as well for the fronts.

Last edited: